Is it important to "go to church"?

Mike W

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 02:50 pm
For someone who does believe in God, and hopes go to heaven, is attending church imporant?

I ask because I find it difficult to feel comfortable in any church that I have attended, and I have always seemed to feel that some of the most judgemental people I have met are those that do attend church every week.

Is it not enough to believe and even study the bible on your own, or is there some kind of unwritten requirement that you go to church?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,813 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Matt L

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 03:40 pm
@Mike W,
(First, this post assumes you meant a Christian church - if not, it may not apply)

Mike - I've been in a similar spot before, so maybe I can help you out...

Quote:
Is it not enough to believe and even study the bible on your own

No - if you are on a deserted island, maybe. God says all over the Bible that two are better than one, three better than two, etc. God says that for several reasons, but the most relevant to your question is that we can get some weird ideas by ourselves. It doesn't matter if we are the smartest person alive - our experiences shape our perception, and no one is as logical as they think they are. For that reason we need other believers to balance and shed light.

God hooks each of us up with certain spiritual gifts like ministry, evangelism, worship, etc. Each of those gifts will shine a little light on the mystery that is the Lord. Going it alone leaves too many shadows. That's when I run into things.

Why We (Should) Attend Church

Attending church is important not because it is some "rule" handed down, and certainly not because God wants us to be miserable (because we'll always be dissapointed or angered by people in church - they're sinners, too).

Church is really meant to be a delivery system where God directs his flock through his word. We then "take it and run" by joining a small group where you meet with a group of believers/friends to act out God's commands.

Get in a Small Group

If you've never heard of a small group, or if you are having consistent problems getting plugged into the churches, you are probably in the wrong church. It seems a bit strange/intimidating/downright scary at first, but you will grow exponentially by finding a good small group. You may go through a couple before you find the right one, or it may be the first one.

Finding a Church

It seems from your letter that you may be relatively new to the faith. Don't sweat it - finding a church home is a very common problem.

1. The first thing I recommend is to pray that God will lead you to a new church.
  2. Have faith that he will do so - because he will.
  3. Be willing to jump denominations. I don't mean going to a Hindu church if you're a Protestant, but God really doesn't give a rip about all the denominations of Christianity out there. Just make sure that they preach Jesus Christ as the savior.

In closing, don't sweat the "judgemental" Christians. Remember church is about our relationship with the Lord. Abandoning church because of people gives the devil just what he wants - us being separated from our Father. People will always be jerks, but I've found that much of the judgemental Christian meme is really just that.

My prayers are with you, brother - be blessed.
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 03:51 pm
@Mike W,
That was a really good answer, and I'd like to second that advice. God didn't create or endorse 20,000 member churches, but that doesn't mean He doesn't reside in them. Find the church that you can worship God in, and make sure you feel God working through that church. Make sure you can get involved and serve God as well. God will direct you to the right church if things are right with Him.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 09:59 pm
@Mike W,
Quote:
Be willing to jump denominations.

Wow. So any number of the thousands of denominations work? And all that bickering and division over principles of worship aren't really a big deal? Interesting.

I personally feel that most all the churches I have been to have been full of the most hyprocritical people in the world. I've fucked more girls I met in a church than everywhere else combined.
Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:33 pm
@ndjs,
My mother was a church-goer , very active in all aspects of the church , as we children were until out of school . My father , on the other hand , almost never went unless to a wedding , funeral , or very special occasion . He felt constricted in church ,as do I . He praised God in his own way , by actions and deeds , along with quiet faith , as do I .
I do not like large congregations with regimented services , nor do I like small "Born Again " congregations proselytizing all the time . I take my faith seriously , but privately , and despite others saying I MUST do it their way , I feel as righteous as they feel .
My faith is between me and God , I really don't need others around me to get to heaven .
jatuab

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 10:05 am
@ndjs,
ndjs;4065 wrote:
Wow. So any number of the thousands of denominations work? And all that bickering and division over principles of worship aren't really a big deal? Interesting.

I personally feel that most all the churches I have been to have been full of the most hyprocritical people in the world. I've ***ed more girls I met in a church than everywhere else combined.

It's not that all denominations work, but as long as God's presence is felt and the church teaches what the Bible says, then you could choose your level of conservativism/liberalism. I personally don't believe any church should set themselves apart and claim that they're the only correct way to get to God. That's pride at its worst.

Their hypocricy will be judged and dealt with in their personal lives or when they meet God. Could it be that the only reason you seem them as hypocritical is because they're openly held to a higher moral standard than the billions of people who don't know they're being held to that standard or choose to ignore it to have a good time? Are your parents still dragging you to church? Why can't you tell them you don't want to go anymore?
jatuab

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 10:07 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;4082 wrote:
My mother was a church-goer , very active in all aspects of the church , as we children were until out of school . My father , on the other hand , almost never went unless to a wedding , funeral , or very special occasion . He felt constricted in church ,as do I . He praised God in his own way , by actions and deeds , along with quiet faith , as do I .
I do not like large congregations with regimented services , nor do I like small "Born Again " congregations proselytizing all the time . I take my faith seriously , but privately , and despite others saying I MUST do it their way , I feel as righteous as they feel .
My faith is between me and God , I really don't need others around me to get to heaven .

You're correct in saying you don't need anyone to help you get to heaven, but remember that Jesus surrounded Himself with other believers in order to increase God's Kingdom and the message. Jesus instructed us to tell everyone we can about our faith, and one of the best ways to do so is to surround yourself by others who are interested in the same mission.
Matt L

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:17 am
@jatuab,
Quote:
My faith is between me and God , I really don't need others around me to get to heaven

True, you don't. However, God's mission to us goes beyond ourselves - that all may come to know him and that none be lost.

Just concerning ourselves with... well... ourselves leaves little chance that we can truly develop a loving relationship with God.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 06:33 pm
@jatuab,
jatuab;4088 wrote:
It's not that all denominations work, but as long as God's presence is felt and the church teaches what the Bible says, then you could choose your level of conservativism/liberalism. I personally don't believe any church should set themselves apart and claim that they're the only correct way to get to God. That's pride at its worst.

Their hypocricy will be judged and dealt with in their personal lives or when they meet God. Could it be that the only reason you seem them as hypocritical is because they're openly held to a higher moral standard than the billions of people who don't know they're being held to that standard or choose to ignore it to have a good time? Are your parents still dragging you to church? Why can't you tell them you don't want to go anymore?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but churches saying that their way is the only way exemplifies pride. God hates pride, right? So even if the churches are all different in what they believe or how they worship, if they feel they are the only correct ones, then they must be going to hell.

Hypocrisy in a church is the last place I'd want to see it. That's where people go to further their relationship with God. Why surround yourself with others who are not doing the same? Why purpose yourself to get up on Sunday and go sit next to the same person who would be talking about you if you weren't there? Why place that stumbling block in your own path?

I personally feel that many of my closer friends, regardless of religious affiliation or beliefs are not hypocritical. I do have some hypocritical friends, or more like aquaintances, but you know as well as I do that they hear that from me if I feel that way. So in conclusion on this point, I don't feel that people in church being hypocritical has anything to do with their being openly held to a higher moral standard. I think it is just part of the church. All churches.

And on a personal note for some reason, no, my parents are not still dragging me to church. I do not go, whether I am back home visiting with them or away from them and back at my apartment.
jja00

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:58 pm
@Mike W,
I don't think its important to go to church to be a good person or to believe in god. I have been many churches in my life and I have not been comfortable in any of them. I find most people in churches to be ignorant and judgemental. I'm not saying all of the people that go to church are but many I them I have met have been. I have been to several churches from Baptist to Catholic and they are all the same execpt they just pick and choose what they want to believe.

I don't think that all people come up with weired ideas on thier own. Some people are able to think on thier own and choose what they want to believe and not just follow what other people tell you to believe. After all I think were were given free will for a reason.

I think many people go to church because there are not very many leaders in the world that can think on their own. Unfortunately most people are followers and need others to direct them through life. I do feel that churches do some good by helping out charities and youth but that could easily be done by other social groups as the Shriners have demonstrated. I think that one problem that churches pose is that they create groupthink. Most people just go along with what the leaders of the church say regardless if they believe it or not. What would happen if someone in church stood up during the sermon and said they didn't agree with what is being said. That would not happen because they know they would be shunned by the church. I have found that church creates a lot of peer pressure and it usually upsets people when you oppose thier ideas so most people just go along with it even if they question it. To me church seems like it just brainwashes people. I hate how most people from churches just seem to repeat the same stuff over and over. When I have had questions in the past or say that I disagree with certain things I usually got the standard answers of you have to have "faith" or your going to hell if you do or believe that.

I'm sorry if this seems like I dislike all people that go to church because that is not my intention. In fact my wife and kids go to church and I do not love them any less. If my wife gets satisfaction by going to to church I do not judge her and I respect her decision. Do you think people from her church respect my decision to not go? All i'm saying is that I believe that it is possible for people to have a personal relationship with god or to be a good person without going to church. If god wants me to go to hell because I chose not to sing hyms, reciete bible verses, or listen to a pastor give me a sermon on how to improve my life, (which they seldom practice themself as I have found after becoming close friends with pastors of a couple of churches) then I am willing to accept my fate.
Matt L

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 08:40 pm
@jja00,
Quote:
I find most people in churches to be ignorant and judgemental

It's somewhat ironic that the counterpoint for going to church is that everyone is so judgemental. However, those making these complaints are the only ones in this thread doing the judging...
jja00

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 09:00 pm
@Matt L,
I'm sorry if I came off as judgemental. I was just trying to give my opinion on what I see. I will not tell you your going to hell for going to church like people tell me for not going. As I said my wife goes to church and I do not tell her it is wrong or try to get her to stop going. She is a person with her own mind and she is free to make the choices that she feels suit her. If she or other people like going to church and it fills a need in thier life I really don't care and its not my mission to stop them. I am happy that it helps them and makes them happy. On the other hand people who go to church always try to make people who don't go feel guilty. What do you think the people at my wife's church say when they don't see me there? I doubt thier supportive. She always tries to get me to go because she said she feels embarassed that I am never there because people always ask where I am. The sad thing is that she feels she needs to lie because they get upset when she says I do not like church. She usually just tells them I am working. Also if you had read my whole posting I did state that not all people who go to church are judgmental and ignorant but I have found a large majority are.
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 09:21 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs;4096 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but churches saying that their way is the only way exemplifies pride. God hates pride, right? So even if the churches are all different in what they believe or how they worship, if they feel they are the only correct ones, then they must be going to hell.

Hypocrisy in a church is the last place I'd want to see it. That's where people go to further their relationship with God. Why surround yourself with others who are not doing the same? Why purpose yourself to get up on Sunday and go sit next to the same person who would be talking about you if you weren't there? Why place that stumbling block in your own path?

I personally feel that many of my closer friends, regardless of religious affiliation or beliefs are not hypocritical. I do have some hypocritical friends, or more like aquaintances, but you know as well as I do that they hear that from me if I feel that way. So in conclusion on this point, I don't feel that people in church being hypocritical has anything to do with their being openly held to a higher moral standard. I think it is just part of the church. All churches.

And on a personal note for some reason, no, my parents are not still dragging me to church. I do not go, whether I am back home visiting with them or away from them and back at my apartment.

I don't think they're going to Hell due to the fact that they think their church or denomination is the only right one. I think they're very mistaken, but if their condemnation is based solely upon that sin, then I'm definitely screwed.

As for the hypocrisy in the church, I've noticed over time that the hypocrites suffer for their wrongdoings in one way or another. Being a hypocrite myself, I know that my sin must be forgiven or it will be held against me. God's will is done in that church, as it is in all of our daily activies, regardless of the hypocrites. They either turn others away from the church or God, or they meet their sin head on, and they are reprimanded for it. However, you must also see that the church is intended to be a "hospital for sinners, not a house of saints" as my pastor used to say.

On jja00's claim that churches develop group mentality, I think that's part of what going to a church is about. Find the pastor that speaks the word of God and make sure your heart is right, and God will be the only acceptance that is needed or desired. The Church were originally designed to be a haven for Christians to learn about Jesus' teachings and to give each other strength in their daily spiritual battles against the thousands of non-believers around them and their own sins. When you find a church built by God, you will know it.
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 06:05 am
@Mike W,
Yes, I know this topic is from june but none the less important. I think this website may somewhat answer your question. Oh.. and Im new.. Hello! lol

Church Membership and Participation: Essential to Salvation?
Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 02:12 am
@GoodBoy,
Quote:
You're correct in saying you don't need anyone to help you get to heaven, but remember that Jesus surrounded Himself with other believers in order to increase God's Kingdom and the message. Jesus instructed us to tell everyone we can about our faith, and one of the best ways to do so is to surround yourself by others who are interested in the same mission.

I don't think God would mind if I don't go to church , as long as I believe . Never have I heard that one "must" congregate in order to ascend to heaven . Jesus surrounded himself with other believers as you say , to increase the number of believers . This may be the best way for many , but it is not for me . I tell others about my faith in my own way , not by congregating with others and participating in church .
0 Replies