• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,197 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:37 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
I disagree that the results " explain " faith . They only show some glimmer of how the brain is working during that activity . I don't think "faith " can be explained .

From the same article - "...Dr. James A. Coan, a psychologist at the University of Virginia. 'So it’s not so clear what that finding says' about speaking in tongues. "
tumbleweed cv

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:20 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I'm not going to explain faith, but I found it interesting which parts of the brain were most active while they were under the power.

I'm guessing there aren't any Pentecost on here.

"The caudate area is also involved in motor and emotional control, Dr. Newberg said, so it may be that practitioners, while mindful of their circumstances, nonetheless cede some control over their bodies and emotions."

The above statement explains why the worshippers are so erratic at times in their movements.
oleo

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:48 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Read some books by Michael Gazzaniga... "The Social Brain" or "The Ethical
Brain." He has some solid scientific insights into the brain's operation when
it comes to faith and beliefs.
OswaldTheOsprey

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 06:04 pm
@oleo,
People can worship as they please, but as for myself, I am
one of "God's Frozen People"-a stiffnecked old Presbyterian!

OswaldTheOsprey
oleo

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 06:08 pm
@OswaldTheOsprey,
We are faced with an intolerant strain of Islam that is very much a threat
to reasonable life. Also, we are faced with a strain of Christianity that is
also extremely intolerant of differing views, and resents democracy as a
tool that allows people to live in ways that they do not approve of.

I think it is important that we all try to understand what compells people to
have unquestioning faith, and help them learn to question what they are
told to believe, or there will be dire consequences to face.
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 06:27 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
For those who are followers of Jesus.. we have already been warned about the consequences of our faith:

John 15:18-21

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.
0 Replies

Gaius

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:11 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
You might as well conclude that God doesnt exist becuase you cannot find His address in the phonebook. Sort of like the scientist who once said,"I do not believe in God becuase I cannot find Him in my beaker." Which begs the readily obvious and very reasonable counter reply that if you told me you found God in your beaker I should tell you that youve confused Him with a chemical. Personally Id be far more intersted in hearing what an artist, painter, musician, or poet had to say about the question. They are the ones who seem to have captured something so unnaturally natural to our world. And indeed it is true that many athiestic philosophers have been converted by whats known as the aesthetic argument (We have the music of Bach so there must be a God). Its hilarious that every scientific find is for some baffling reason chalked up by athiests as a score for them. Of course this trend has sort of reversed itself in past years. Search the anthropic principle or how commitment to faith has been virtually proved to lead to better physical and mental health (generally speaking of course)
0 Replies

USA All The Way

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:29 am
@tumbleweed cv,
the Bible speaks of tongues. Look at it this a way, ifin yu cant understands wha sumone isa sayin then what good was it>?? humm/ tells me dat:peace:
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:42 am
@tumbleweed cv,
Hello USA. Welcome.:cool:
0 Replies

USA All The Way

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:50 am
@tumbleweed cv,
thanx be to u tumblesweed, its a good ta hear frum uVery Happy
0 Replies

Lizess

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:37 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
What is faith?
"Faith is being sure of what we hope for. It is being certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1
0 Replies