Why liberals are right to hate the Ten Commandments

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:35 am
Makes some very good points, won't be to friendly to the left of center. The way he explains it, it makes some sense as well.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/column.aspx?UrlTitle=why_liberals_are_right_to_hate_the_ten_commandments&ns=MichaelMedved&dt=02/28/2007&page=1
The left’s fiery obsession with removing Ten Commandments monuments from public property throughout the United States may seem odd and irrational but actually reflects the deepest values of contemporary liberalism.

In the last five years alone, the tireless fanatics at the ACLU have invested tens of millions of dollars and countless hours of legal time in lawsuits to yank the Commandments from long-standing displays in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Montana, Georgia, Iowa, Washington State, Nebraska, Texas, Pennsylvania and Florida. In one of the most recent battles, they delayed their litigation in Dixie County, Florida, because they couldn’t find a single local resident to lend a name as plaintiff in a drive to dislocate the tablets from the local court house.

Even for militant separationists like the ACLU, this ferocious hostility to innocuous and generally uncontroversial monuments looks excessive, even self-destructive. The overwhelming majority of Americans instinctively accept the Commandments as a timeless, cherished summary of universal moral precepts. A closer look at the specifics of the Decalogue, however, suggests that it makes good sense for leftists to hate The Big Ten: each one of the commandments contradicts a different pillar of trendy liberal thinking.

For the purposes of this discussion of these conflicts, I’ll cite translations from the original Hebrew in the excellent Stone Edition of the Biblical text (Exodus 20; 2-14), and I’ll use the traditional numbering favored by Jews and Protestants. (Catholics group Commandments 1 and 2 together, and make two separate Commandments--9 and 10-- out of the prohibition on “coveting” that Protestants and Jews identify solely as number 10.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,081 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rhopper3

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:17 am
@Drnaline,
There are good points in most well thought out systems of morality but you do not have the right to enforce the specifics on men or anybody else...

The point is that regardless of your opinion on the general value of these ideas you do not have a right to enforce them as public policy in anything but the most general way. You can spin it all you want. I don't follow your religion and I will not have my life controlled by it. Honor God any way you want but the moment you try to fine me for cursing in private on working on Sunday or buying a beer on Sunday your wrong or wearing a T-shirt your wrong
Six day work weeks without ovetime are great for dogs and cats but under any other name it a form of classism and exploitation
Drnaline

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:08 am
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;11967 wrote:
There are good points in most well thought out systems of morality but you do not have the right to enforce the specifics on men or anybody else...

The point is that regardless of your opinion on the general value of these ideas you do not have a right to enforce them as public policy in anything but the most general way. You can spin it all you want. I don't follow your religion and I will not have my life controlled by it. Honor God any way you want but the moment you try to fine me for cursing in private on working on Sunday or buying a beer on Sunday your wrong or wearing a T-shirt your wrong
Six day work weeks without ovetime are great for dogs and cats but under any other name it a form of classism and exploitation

Quote:

And who would i be enforcing it on?
Quote:
I don't follow your religion and I will not have my life controlled by it.

What in you life is controled by my religion? If there is anything, it is controlled by you not I.
Quote:
Honor God any way you want but the moment you try to fine me for cursing in private on working on Sunday or buying a beer on Sunday your wrong or wearing a T-shirt your wrong

Who is trying to fine you? I work and drink while wearing a T on some sundays. Why are you so offended by an article, It's just his observation and i agree with a few of his points. I think your reading into it a bit much. How did you get some one or thing is trying to force you into something you don't want to do?
Quote:

I agree.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 10:31 am
@Drnaline,
Quote:
I think your reading into it a bit much. How did you get some one or thing is trying to force you into something you don't want to do?

There is a saying that if you wish to truely know a man give him power, the same goes with ideas, if you wish to know the effects of an idea examine it as it would be put into action.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:42 pm
@Drnaline,
The Left secretly worships Karl Marx. He is their hidden god.
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:20 pm
@Drnaline,
I think the terms left and right are overused and slightly simplistic

I didn't mean to sound so over the top..perhaps I did read a bit much into the thread, now that I reread it it is mostly about the putting the commandents themed statues where they can be seen in public places. But I would argue that the post was a little over the top as well in some of its assumptions as well. so maybe we are even.
and I do really need to spell check before I post too I guess
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:23 pm
@Drnaline,
As they say in El Paso, "Don't worry none."
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:58 am
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;12054 wrote:

I didn't mean to sound so over the top..perhaps I did read a bit much into the thread, now that I reread it it is mostly about the putting the commandents themed statues where they can be seen in public places. But I would argue that the post was a little over the top as well in some of its assumptions as well. so maybe we are even.

Quote:

I agree, but they work for quick reference of a particular mindset.
Quote:

Over the top shows you have passion for what you believe. We are all over the top, it just depends in what that top topic is. Assumptions are a plenty so i would have to say we are even as well.
Quote:

I don't think spell check would of caught that. It was spelled right i just didn't think is was what you intended.
0 Replies