Bones of Jesus found in Jerusalem ?

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 02:19 am
Coming soon is a movie based on finding of a tomb in Jerusalem that some say contains the remains of Jesus and his family . Most religious scholars don't think much of it , saying it is just another DaVinci Code type story , dressed up to make money with a movie .
"The Lost Tomb of Christ" will air March 4 on the Discovery Channel. It argues that 10 ancient ossuaries - small caskets used to store bones - discovered in a suburb of Jerusalem in 1980 may have contained the bones of Jesus and his family, according to a press release issued by the Discovery Channel.

I can not vouch for the truth of this story , but am curious about the thoughts of CV members on the subject . What do you think ? I will watch it if possible .

"Most Christians believe Jesus' body spent three days at the site of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem's Old City. The burial site identified in Cameron's documentary is in a southern Jerusalem neighborhood nowhere near the church.

In 1996, when the BBC aired a short documentary on the same subject, archaeologists challenged the claims. Amos Kloner, the first archaeologist to examine the site, said the idea fails to hold up by archaeological standards but makes for profitable television."

Stephen Pfann, a biblical scholar at the University of the Holy Land in Jerusalem who was interviewed in the documentary, said the film's hypothesis holds little weight.

"I don't think that Christians are going to buy into this," Pfann said. "But skeptics, in general, would like to see something that pokes holes into the story that so many people hold dear."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,027 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:42 am
@Curmudgeon,
I'm sure the coffin did carry the bones of "Jesus son of Joseph" The question is was it the Jesus we all know and love. OUt of all the people living two thousand years ago in jerusalem how many familys had Mary, Joseph and Jesus in them? I've read that 9 percent had the same of Jesus. 14 percent had the name of Joseph and i forget how many had the name of Mary, i think it was seven or eight.
rhopper3

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:16 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I'm not sure if it will make any difference or if it should. Either you are a Christian and beleieve in the ideas and basic theology or you you beleieve in the ideas and not the theology or do not believe in either. Still it will be fascinating to find out the truth.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:58 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Just another attack on the Catholic Church and Christianity in general. The strategy goes like this: convince people Jesus had a woman, after all, and then gradually chip away at the accuracy and validity of the rest of the Christian story. In the end, our enemies hope, the entire religion and civilization it built will be eroded beyond recovery. :beat:
0 Replies

Mad as Hell in NC

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:46 pm
@Curmudgeon,
DaVinci code and now this !! Sorry scientists, Jesus walked out of the tomb after three days, no bones about that. I think as time goes on we are going to see more and more of these theories that are nothing more than attemps by those who do not beleive to discredit the bible.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 03:09 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11469 wrote:
I'm sure the coffin did carry the bones of "Jesus son of Joseph" The question is was it the Jesus we all know and love. OUt of all the people living two thousand years ago in jerusalem how many familys had Mary, Joseph and Jesus in them? I've read that 9 percent had the same of Jesus. 14 percent had the name of Joseph and i forget how many had the name of Mary, i think it was seven or eight.

Even that's a stretch. One scholar thinks they misread it, and the name is actually 'Hanun.' This story is a thinly veiled, at best, attack on Christianity.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 03:37 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I'm going to write a script for a documentary on Muhommed. I'm going to to have to get some proof (like an ancient Hooka pipe) to prove that Muhommed actually was stoned off his A##, when he had his visions and dreams from Allah. Also I want to show through DNA tests that Muhommed actually fathered children through incestuous relations with his own family. Finally I will show that he actually died broke and stoned in a gutter. How does that sound? May not be truthful but it will make lots of money from all the attention it will get!
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:05 am
@Curmudgeon,
And the death threats will abound !
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:21 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Don't mess with Muhammad. The savages will be on you faster than Slick on Monica.Very Happy
0 Replies