Bloodless Coup in Georgia? 11/22/03--Following Georgia.

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 02:51 am
I recieved some emails via my MIL from an uncle in Abkahzia.

some excerpts

Monday, August 11
All is peaceful in the capital, where it's terribly hot today.
There are more Russians here than Georgians over the border, and
patrol-boats are protecting the coast. So, we don't really expect anything
bad.

Tuesday, August 12
We have just (5 minutes ago) heard that the Upper
Kodor Valley has been liberated --- as one brother-in-law might have been
among the troops, we hope that he's OK. But the S. Ossetians have borne the brunt of Saak'ashvili's madness, and we are all entirely astonished at the
West's reaction: hardly a word on complaint about the side that started
launching Grad-missiles into Tskhinval but only calls for territorial
integrity to be respected and the withdrawal of Russian forces. Where we
are, it's rather a case of 'The Russians are Coming' and so much the
better!

From his daughter who I think is in her twenties.

I have one question to put to the west, and that is, how on earth can it possibly justify closing its eyes and ears to what is really happening in the Caucasus and allow Saakashvili's regime to continue its brutal murder of thousands of innocent civilians in South Ossetia?

Watching the horrific events unfold from a place that is closely linked to South Ossetia in its bid to be internationally recognised as independent and free from Georgia, namely, Abkhazia, I find myself feeling utter distress and complete horror at the thought that the people I see suffering excruciating pain and loss in South Ossetia could be joined by my own Abkhazian relatives and friends at any moment.

There's no doubt in my mind that the next phase of Saakashvili's operation was, and, perhaps, still is, to bring his murderous machine ever closer to Abkhazia. I have no words to express my frustration and vehement anger at the West not only for cold heartedly turning a blind eye to Georgia's aggression and laying the blame on Russia alone, but in fact for creating the possibility for Georgia to behave this way in the first place.

Not knowing what might lie just around the corner makes it heartbreaking and frightening to see similar worries etched on the faces of my own friends and relatives; cousins and uncles are among those being mustered, and I can only watch them walk away from the homes they have been struggling to protect and rebuild for the last fifteen years since the last Georgian attack on their land.

Every individual Abkhazian and South Ossetian lives for home and family. They ask for nothing more than to be left alone to live their lives in their own recognised state. They lay no claims to anyone else's land, and they represent no threat to others; they seek only to protect what is rightly theirs. In all honesty, these people could even live together with the Georgians as they once did, but only with the assurance of no more Georgian initiated fighting.

The West has to ask itself what it stands for. If it is democracy, human rights and freedom of speech, then they are hypocritically in support of a regime that is anything but democratic, humane or open to sensible debate and diplomacy. As a British citizen (something I feel no pride in saying at the moment), I want to express my shame in the UK and the West's stance in general.

My heart goes out to those who have lost their family members and their homes in South Ossetia, and I can even say the same for those who have lost lives in Georgia, though Georgia only has itself to blame for those losses. Now, I only hope and pray that our Abkhaz boys and men return home without having to experience a second cruel and unnecessary war on their soil within a mere 16 years and that the South Ossetian refugees can return to their homes and start to rebuild what they have lost for the second time in their case also (in view of the earlier war forced upon them by the Georgians in 1990-92).
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 02:59 am
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 06:43 am
I may be the only one who missed this element of the story, but I hadnt realised how heavily committed and engaged East-European governments are in defending Georgia.

This should give pause to those who take this issue as just another occasion to fight Obama/McCain arguments. The fear of a resurgent threat of Russian revanchism is serious, and wide-spread. Maybe we should listen to the countries that have the most at stake.

This from a security advisory we get in the email:

Quote:
More than 150,000 people rallied on 12 August at the parliament in Tbilisi to express support for President Mikhail Saakashvili. The gathering was addressed by Saakashvili and presidents of Poland, Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

This from a CNN report:

Quote:
[..] Lithuanian President Valdas Adamkus said an international force would be the only way to stop violence and ensure Georgia's territorial integrity.

"Let the world finally wake up and take the action and provide the real security for the region," Adamkus said. [..]

Estonian President Toomas Ilves, who spoke at the news conference with Saakashvili, said Russia's actions threatened the independence of former Soviet nations.

"This is the first time that we've actually seen an invasion, a unilateral invasion of a country," Ilves said. "I think we have to think about this long and hard and deeply in the EU [and] in NATO." [..]
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:00 am
First time since when?

Chechnya?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:05 am
Dadpad, thank you for posting these emails from right amidst "the fog of war", so to say. A2K is a great place sometimes, where perspectives can come in straight from the pipeline from all places.

No disrespect intended, however, if I flag a random excerpt to highlight some of the context of this perspective. E.g.:

dadpad wrote:
We have just (5 minutes ago) heard that the Upper Kodor Valley has been liberated

The Kodor (or Kodori) Valley is the only sliver of Abkhazia that was still in Georgian hands.

Before Abkhazian secession, Georgians formed the plurality in the province (46% of the population). After secession, this Georgian population was ethnically cleansed. Tens of thousands were murdered, and hundreds of thousands of Georgian refugees from Abkhazia still live spread around Georgia.

As the 1994 U.S. State Department Country Reports describes (via Wikipedia), "The [Abkhaz] separatist forces committed widespread atrocities against the Georgian civilian population, killing many women, children, and elderly, capturing some as hostages and torturing others ... The separatists launched a reign of terror against the majority Georgian population, although other nationalities also suffered. .."

The Kodori Valley was the one place the Georgians managed to hold. Now it too has been "liberated" by the Russians and Abkhazians.
nimh

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:25 am
dlowan wrote:
First time since when?

Chechnya?

Chechnya was never a sovereign nation, and its independence wasn't recognized by any state. Georgia is an internationally recognized independent country, and has been for 17 years, so there's a substantive difference there. (Not to rationalise the carnage in Chechnya!)

The last time a country was invaded by a neighbouring country in Europe was ... 1968, Czechoslovakia? Well, more recently, but more complicatedly, there was Yugoslavia in 1991.. Slovenia declared independence, and within days rump-Yugoslavia moved in the army (but gave up after a few days). I guess that at that time Slovenia's independence wouldnt have been recognized by anyone yet, though, so it was more sort of midway between break-away province and independent nation. I suppose that's what Ilves is referring to -- that this is the first time since the end of the Cold War that there was a unilateral invasion of an established independent country. Then again, the Serbs might point out that it all depends on how you define "unilateral", what with the NATO bombings of Belgrade in 2000 in mind..

rabel22 wrote:
You have been knocking the US with some justification but the EU should be involved also.

Yes of course.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:35 am
nimh wrote:
dlowan wrote:
First time since when?

Chechnya?

Chechnya was never a sovereign nation, and its independence wasn't recognized by any state. Georgia is an internationally recognized independent country, and has been for 17 years, so there's a substantive difference there. (Not to rationalise the carnage in Chechnya!)

The last time a country was invaded by a neighbouring country in Europe was ... 1968, Czechoslovakia? Well, more recently, but more complicatedly, there was Yugoslavia in 1991.. Slovenia declared independence, and within days rump-Yugoslavia moved in the army (but gave up after a few days). I guess that at that time Slovenia's independence wouldnt have been recognized by anyone yet, though, so it was more sort of midway between break-away province and independent nation. I suppose that's what Ilves is referring to -- that this is the first time since the end of the Cold War that there was a unilateral invasion of an established independent country. Then again, the Serbs might point out that it all depends on how you define "unilateral", what with the NATO bombings of Belgrade in 2000 in mind..

rabel22 wrote:
You have been knocking the US with some justification but the EU should be involved also.

Yes of course.

Hmmmm......okish.....re the distinction between Chechnya and Georgia.

I was thinking of Russia invading someone really, so wasn't thinking about Yugoslavia.

I guess my point is....and I am by no means decrying your alarm...that under Putin Russia seems to be back on course, (after a reasonably dramatic but seemingly short surcease) to not tolerate any major moves towards the west in its "buffer" states.

Like the USA in a number of regions, I guess.

I don't see any real move to limit it happening, as there have been few moves to limit the US or any other major power, other than the old cold war tactics. Do you?

It's big and mean...albeit smaller than it was.

Sigh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:37 am
Wanted to add my thanks to dadpad -- really appreciate the person-on-the-spot stuff.

And appreciate further detail/ nuance from nimh, too.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:54 am
nimh wrote:
old europe wrote:
I also think that it's important for the West not to take sides - and by that I mean Saakashvili's or, alternatively, Medvedev's/Putin's side - in this conflict. At least not based on the propaganda spread by both sides.

Aren't you afraid that, in terms of the position of the West in this, you end up with Bosnia mk II?

Yes, of course I am. That's what I said earlier.

nimh wrote:
There too, it was easy to find plenty of wrongdoing, outright war crimes too, on all sides, and a lot of observers used that as a reason to not get involved at all, and "leave them at it", so to say. The results of this passivity were devastating, as we now know.

That is exactly my point. We spent a lot of time assigning blame, but failed utterly in drawing a line in the sand.

Saying that one or the other side is the aggressor, and the other side is the victim, doesn't seem to be particularly helpful to me. Especially in a conflict where each side can go back just a couple of months, and point to this or that incident where the other side was completely wrong, did something outrageous, and use this as a justification for their own course of action.

nimh wrote:
Isn't it the job of the US President, the EU Commission, to cut through the very real complexities and ambiguities to still recognise what the greater danger or the greater crime is? In short, is it really fair to equate the violence with which Georgia tried to repossess South-Ossetia with the Russian army invading Georgia, an independent country? I mean, even aside from the spectre of precedent regarding resurgent Russia's eyes on its near abroad, which should be a real concern to Europe?

See, I'd like to see the EU Presidency or the EU Commission act, at least in the red hot phase of this kind of conflict, as a policeman. Stopping the violence. Putting a foot down.

Cutting through complexities and concluding what the greater danger or the greater crime is - that's acting as a judge. Maybe necessary at one point (it's what we have the ICC or the ICJ for), but in the chaotic frenzy of an armed conflict, when you don't even have reliable information about the situation on the ground? I don't know.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 08:11 am
There was a report by the International Crisis Group, an NGO with contacts to the Georgian government, that was published at the beginning of June.

It was titled Georgia and Russia: Clashing over Abkhazia and focused more on the other, semi-autonomous region in Georgia.

However, the problems are very similar to the situation in South Ossetia. I find it hard to summarize the summary of the report, so I'm just going to post the whole length of it here:

Quote:
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS

With the dispute between Georgia and Russia in a new, dangerously confrontational phase, the risk of war in the South Caucasus is growing. Concerned by NATO's plans for further extension to former Soviet republics and Kosovo's unilateral but Western-orchestrated independence, Russia has stepped up manipulation of the South Ossetia and Abkhazia conflicts. Georgia remains determined to restore its territorial integrity, and hawks in Tbilisi are seriously considering a military option. Both sides need to recognise the risks in current policies, cool their rhetoric and cease military preparations. Russia should cease undermining its peacekeeper and mediator roles and be open to a change of negotiating formats. Georgia should adopt a new approach to the Abkhaz, encouraging their links to the outside world to lessen dependence on Russia and emphasising incremental con­­fidence building to establish the mutual trust needed for successful negotiations. The U.S. and European Union (EU) should be firm and united in cautioning both Moscow and Tbilisi against military adventures.

Moscow deployed additional troops and military hard­ware, allegedly in furtherance of its peacekeeping man­date, to Georgia's breakaway territory of Abkhazia in April 2008, thus continuing a pattern of escalating tensions. This includes former President Vladimir Putin's announcement that Russia would formalise ties with Abkhazia and statements by Kremlin officials that Moscow was prepared to use military force to protect its citizens in Abkhazia and South Ossetia if hostilities resumed. How close to that kind of conflict the region may be is suggested by a series of incidents in which unmanned Georgian aircraft have been shot down over Abkhazia, at least once by a Russian jet.

Tbilisi has responded with a diplomatic offensive, enlisting high-level Western political support, while repeating that it wants to resolve the frozen conflicts peacefully. It shares blame for the escalation, however. It has quietly been making military preparations, particularly in western Georgia and Upper Kodori. A number of powerful advisers and structures around President Mikheil Saakashvili appear increasingly convinced a military operation in Abkhazia is feasible and necessary. The option they seem to favour would aim at regaining control of the southern part of the territory so as to establish at least a temporary partition. The Georgians have been warned by their Western partners against attempting a military solution. But there are strong feelings in Tbilisi that something must be done to change a status quo in which Russia challenges the country's sovereignty with virtual impunity. The risk of miscalculation by either side leading to unintended fighting is also serious.

The Abkhaz themselves fear that they will be the biggest losers in the Moscow-Tbilisi dispute. Russia has been their sole support as they have sought to break away from Georgian rule, but there is little likelihood Moscow would ever formally recognise their independence. Instead, the Abkhaz find themselves being used for purposes having little to do with their own cause and in danger of being absorbed as a small minority into the giant Russian Federation. That realisation is sinking in and could provide the basis for new, more promising Tbilisi-Sukhumi talks.

The Georgian government says it wants to move in that direction, but there has been too little realism and too many mixed messages in its language to date. President Saakashvili offered a new peace plan for Abkhazia in March, with extensive autonomy, a jointly controlled economic zone and gradual merger of law enforcement and customs agencies. If this initiative is not to be stillborn, however, the Georgians will need to take steps to persuade the Abkhaz that it is not meant primarily to satisfy Western partners, and they are serious about restarting a meaningful negotiating process. This requires an immediate end to bellicose rhetoric, postponement of efforts to settle the ultimate status question and a newly consistent focus on confidence building. While Georgia's desire to change the negotiations format, currently mediated by Russia, is understandable, it should not make this a precondition for resuming talks.

The West must meanwhile use all its influence to press for peaceful resolution of the Georgian-Abkhaz and Georgian-Russian conflicts alike. Persuading Russia to withdraw any troops and equipment from Abkhazia which do not fit with its peacekeeping mandate from the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) would improve the environment for diplomatic progress. The 5-6 June visit of foreign policy chief Javier Solana to Tbilisi and Sukhumi is an opportunity for the EU to show unity and resolve, as well as listen to the sides' grievances. The U.S. and EU should also be unequivocal about the negative impact that a conflict in Abkhazia would have on the 2014 Sochi Olympics. At the same time, they should show they are aware of Russia's legitimate interests in the Caucasus and concerns for the stability of its own southern regions, and should unmistakably communicate to Georgia that any rash moves would have negative consequences for its NATO ambitions as well as foreign investment.

Note the warning about the hawks in Tbilisi, about the "powerful advisers and structures around President Mikheil Saakashvili" who "appear increasingly convinced a military operation in Abkhazia is feasible and necessary".
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 08:19 am
I'm also going to post the recommendations, even though these are more pertinent to the situation specifically in Abkhazia...

Quote:
RECOMMENDATIONS

To the Georgian, Abkhaz and Russian Sides:

1. Refrain from hostile actions and confrontational rhetoric, while respecting the 1994 Moscow Agree­ment and relevant UN Security Council Reso­lutions and CIS decisions regulating the cease­fire regime, separation of forces and deployment of peacekeeping troops in Abkhazia.

2.. Resume negotiations, focusing on confidence building first rather than status issues, and agree on changes to the negotiations format that emphasise direct Georgian-Abkhaz dialogue and give the EU a role on a par with Russia and the UN.

To the Georgian Side:

3. Halt any preparations for a military operation as well as belligerent rhetoric (including false press reports), and be transparent with regard to military and internal affairs ministry budgets and acquisitions.

4. Show respect for the Abkhaz self-determination aspirations and security fears, including by issuing a statement regretting past injustices.

5. Pursue and consistently implement without status preconditions measures designed to build confidence over time, such as a free trade zone along both sides of the ceasefire line and steps to allow the Abkhaz to develop ties beyond Russia, including the removal of sanctions and reopening of airport, railroad and seaport links.

6. Keep the Upper Kodori Gorge free of military presence and activity, provide full information on the security presence there and refrain from overflights of Abkhazia, including by unmanned aircraft.

7. Commit formally and without preconditions to non-resumption of hostilities.

To the Georgian and Abkhaz Sides:

8. Sukhumi [this is the capital and seat of the "Government of the Autonomous Republic of Abkhazia"] should carry out more measures to support sustainable returns, and both sides should cease harassment of Gali [this is a town in the UN security zone in Abkhazia] returnees and agree on a returns verification exercise for the Gali district by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

To the Russian Side:

9. Refrain from all actions that undermine Georgia's sovereignty and Russia's role as an impartial mediator and peacekeeper, including unilateral upgrading of ties with de facto authorities in Abkhazia.

10. Withdraw troops and equipment introduced into Abkhazia on 29 April and 31 May 2008 and ensure that the number, equipment and activities of CIS peacekeepers deployed there is consistent with relevant CIS rules.

To NATO:

11. Make more effective use of the NATO-Russia Council, especially as a forum to discuss NATO enlargement to Georgia and Ukraine, including Russian concerns.

To the EU, U.S. and Wider International Community:

12. Call on all sides to refrain from hostilities and return to negotiations, while emphasising the negative consequences if conflict erupts, including for Georgia's integration into Euro-Atlantic structures and for Russia's plans to host successful Winter Olympics in 2014.

13. The EU should promptly implement European Commission confidence-building measures, including speeding up the opening of EU information centres in the conflict regions.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 08:48 am
old europe wrote:
See, I'd like to see the EU Presidency or the EU Commission act, at least in the red hot phase of this kind of conflict, as a policeman. Stopping the violence. Putting a foot down.

Cutting through complexities and concluding what the greater danger or the greater crime is - that's acting as a judge. Maybe necessary at one point (it's what we have the ICC or the ICJ for), but in the chaotic frenzy of an armed conflict, when you don't even have reliable information about the situation on the ground? I don't know.

But a judge can only act afterwards. Find someone guilty once the crime has been completed. The ICC is useless in identifying, right now, which lines should be drawn, and can't help us identify the hierarchy of dangers unfolding before us. When the violence is going on, whether it's in Bosnia or Kosovo or Georgia, it's up to the European Commission, the US, EU government leaders to make such a judgement call.

I mean, in Bosnia they hesitated for two years, wrestling with the concept of identifying a main agressor and victim amidst violence perpetrated by all sides. And by the time it came to its senses, Srebrenica and the Sarajevo siege were history. Maybe I'm going too much on trauma, it's possible. But that makes me uneasy about talk of how we should not take sides now and how things are too ambiguous to take a stand.

Mind you, I guess we're not all that far apart, considering you also say that what we failed to do with Bosnia was "drawing a line in the sand." What we differ in, I think, is whether drawing this line involves assigning a kind of hierarchy of dangers or transgressions. I dont care about blame per se, but I think it's important for the EC or US to recognize, well, let's put it in ordinary words - "OK, whoa - what party A did was stupid and wrong, but what party B is doing now is completely off the track, and setting a dangerous precedent at that. This is where we can't just stay neutral."

I know you're not arguing for passivity either... But playing policemen in the sense I hear you saying - moving in, like a stern mother kind of?, and saying "look here kids, I dont care who's more to blame, save it for the judge, you all just stop right now" - well, first off we dont have that kind of leverage. So you have to consider what you do have to work with. All you can do is send a message, so should that message be "ok all you guys - quit it", or "ok wait - if Russia is going to invade a sovereign country, our ally, then we will stand by it, regardless of what else happened"?

My argument is that if you're dealing with a substantively more existential threat from one side, the policeman role can work completely counterproductive. That's what we did in Bosnia for two years, basically concluding that well, all of them are to blame to some extent, so let's just take a neutral position and try our best to stop the shooting and push on negotiations. In the meantime, thanks to our impartial arms embargo the Bosniaks were hardly able to defend themselves, and our policeman's role turned into a caricature when we declared "safe havens" which we then surrendered overnight.

Russia invaded an independent country. That's your line in the sand right there, IMO. Saakashvili provoked it, but it's still a line that the EU should draw and stand by.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
nimh wrote:
old europe wrote:

But a judge can only act afterwards. Find someone guilty once the crime has been completed. The ICC is useless in identifying, right now, which lines should be drawn, and can't help us identify the hierarchy of dangers unfolding before us. When the violence is going on, whether it's in Bosnia or Kosovo or Georgia, it's up to the European Commission, the US, EU government leaders to make such a judgement call.

I mean, in Bosnia they hesitated for two years, wrestling with the concept of identifying a main agressor and victim amidst violence perpetrated by all sides. And by the time it came to its senses, Srebrenica and the Sarajevo siege were history. Maybe I'm going too much on trauma, it's possible. But that makes me uneasy about talk of how we should not take sides now and how things are too ambiguous to take a stand.

Mind you, I guess we're not all that far apart, considering you also say that what we failed to do with Bosnia was "drawing a line in the sand." What we differ in, I think, is whether drawing this line involves assigning a kind of hierarchy of dangers or transgressions. I dont care about blame per se, but I think it's important for the EC or US to recognize, well, let's put it in ordinary words - "OK, whoa - what party A did was stupid and wrong, but what party B is doing now is completely off the track, and setting a dangerous precedent at that. This is where we can't just stay neutral."

I know you're not arguing for passivity either... But playing policemen in the sense I hear you saying - moving in, like a stern mother kind of?, and saying "look here kids, I dont care who's more to blame, save it for the judge, you all just stop right now" - well, first off we dont have that kind of leverage. So you have to consider what you do have to work with. All you can do is send a message, so should that message be "ok all you guys - quit it", or "ok wait - if Russia is going to invade a sovereign country, our ally, then we will stand by it, regardless of what else happened"?

My argument is that if you're dealing with a substantively more existential threat from one side, the policeman role can work completely counterproductive. That's what we did in Bosnia for two years, basically concluding that well, all of them are to blame to some extent, so let's just take a neutral position and try our best to stop the shooting and push on negotiations. In the meantime, thanks to our impartial arms embargo the Bosniaks were hardly able to defend themselves, and our policeman's role turned into a caricature when we declared "safe havens" which we then surrendered overnight.

Russia invaded an independent country. That's your line in the sand right there, IMO. Saakashvili provoked it, but it's still a line that the EU should draw and stand by.

My apologies if you already said this...but what do you think the EU should do? What would the line in the sand look like?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:16 am
dlowan wrote:
My apologies if you already said this...but what do you think the EU should do? What would the line in the sand look like?

I had some reckless ideas about things the West could do here..

I dunno. There's not much we can do. But what I guess you should do is at least declare that, if Russia is going to be invading or occupying Georgia (beyond South-Ossetia/Abkhazia I mean), we will take sides, and if it persists, we'll pull out all the plugs. Ban them from joining the WTO, suspend bilateral trade agreements, suspend diplomatic relations, speed up negotiations with Ukraine to join the EU (or first NATO), etc. A lot of it would be bluster (speeding up EU membership, for example), and the Russians will look through it. But the point would be more to confront them with the choice, do you really want a global and lasting diplomatic clusterf*ck over this tiny country, oil pipe and all? Or wouldnt you rather go back to muddling on like before in that case?

But you know, what do I know... my inclinations are more those of an activist/advocate, not a politician/diplomat..

dlowan wrote:
I don't see any real move to limit it happening, as there have been few moves to limit the US or any other major power

Oh I do. This is all getting far away from the realities in Gori or Tskhinvali though, all off into global, strategical stuff, all the way out into some bigger picture, so I'm kinda hesitant to go there.

But here goes, people can always skip it.

Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, after a history of being blithely divided up by super powers, have been integrated into the EU and NATO. The EU and the US have consistently (and this is bipartisan) reached out to help the sides most inclined to democratic reform in the Ukraine and Georgia (and although I wouldnt want Saakashvili or Tymoshenko as my Prime Minister, the governments there are still a biggish step forward compared to the authoritarianism and gangsterism before).

Both the EU and the other cross-European organisations (Council of Europe, OSCE) have actively aided the Central and East European countries that wanted to establish a Western-style rule of law-based democracy, and if you compare Romania or Bulgaria now for example, for all their flaws, with what they looked like in the mid-90s, it's been very successful. They have moderated and mediated, relatively successfully, when serious issues occurred (like between the Russians and Estonians/Latvians), pressuring national governments to accord minority rights and minorities to refrain from violence.

Basically, in any previous historical iteration the collapse of the Soviet or Russian empire would have led (did lead) to massive civil war. Compared to historical precedent, the last 20 years havent been bad, Yugoslavia excepted. The EU and US have done a good job in stabilising a situation where many states in the region wanted to get out of the former Soviet zone, and integrating them while quelling local conflicts that could blow up the process.

Now we face a Russia that seems intent on reversing that, and the larger question as I see it, in the next decade, bottom line, is will we stand firm and hold the line, or will we give in? 'Giving in' meaning, according Russia its 'near abroad', a zone of influence where it gets to wield veto power over what organisations and alliances countries get to join, and to oust hostile governments if it deems it necessary -- regardless of how our local allies feel about it. Reasoning, basically, that a massive country like that will be bound to demand such a zone of influence, and according Russia its own is a sign of respect - and that giving it will appease Russia. I think within the Western foreign policy set, there's forces pulling at opposite directions on this, as they have throughout (and across party lines).

The stranglehold that the US once held over Latin America in the bad old days of the 70s and 80s, wantonly sponsoring coups and guerrillas against governments it didnt like and generally lording it over the continent, has faded. Much of the continent is now governed by left-wing parties. Russia has on and off, already under Yeltsin, tried to achieve a similar hold, plotting and intervening in Armenia, Azerbajjan, Georgia, Moldova, Tajikistan. But thanks also to a very active Western policy, it hasnt been able to establish its own "Latin America" beyond the Central Asian republics. Will we let it succeed now that Putin seems more intent than ever?

------------

In a way all this strategery is really distracting. The fights in Georgia are different ones on different planes. There's Saakashvili's arrogant and brutal attempt at reconquering South-Ossetia, and the Russian army's invasion of Georgia in response, and you can weigh and judge and pick sides or not, there. But they're also a manifestation of this other plane: Russia changing the game in asserting its claim to its "near abroad", and how the West should respond to that. The ideal response to Georgia & Ossetia might be a different one than the ideal response to Russia, with conflicting consequences. Who wants to be President?

OK I've rambled enough, time for others again.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:27 am
I just cannot see the US committing any serious forces against Russia at this time. This is the result of our over-extension in the Middle East. We all have pointed out for years that the US will not be well-equipped to handle such things thanks to our occupation of Iraq; now that it has come up, it is evident that we really aren't equipped to handle things.

I understand that this is much more of an imminent issue to you, then I; but I am not personally willing to see the US extend itself further at this time.

You stated in another post the things you thought the EU and US should do; but why should we do those things? Defending Georgia is not a priority of our nation and we have plenty of problems to deal with at this point without getting into a fight with Russia.

Cycloptichorn
old europe

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:35 am
nimh wrote:

Well, yeah, a judgement call maybe - in enforcing the rules. That's something different than reaching a conclusing, condemning one side, and brushing off what the other side is doing.

I agree that the ICC is useless in finding new lines to be drawn. That leaves us with the old ones: territorial integrity of Georgia; quasi-autonomous status of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, controlled by the UN (in Abkhazia) and the OSCE (in South Ossetia).

That's what should be enforced, at the moment.

nimh wrote:

I don't think the West fucked up in Bosnia because it didn't take sides. By "not taking sides" I don't mean "not getting involved". There were rules laid out, even in the later phase of the war in former Yugoslavia. Where the European and Western countries failed was in enforcing the rules.

The UN troops essentially just stepped aside as the Serbs went in, and allowed them to massacre the Bosniaks. In spite of the fact that very clear rules existed. In spite of the fact that the Serbs had already been accused of ethnic cleansing.

nimh wrote:

Mhm... I see what you're saying. I agree, almost completely. I'd maybe add that it would have been foolish to stay neutral even in the case that Russia hadn't reacted - that Georgia's full out attack on South Ossetia would have been "successful", that the Georgian Army would have captured Tskhinvali, killed hundreds of Ossetians and caused the rest of them to flee to North Ossetia, and re-establish Georgian control over the region.

I think that even in that case, failing to draw a line in the sand would have been unwise. I do see the Russian course of action as, uhm, the more dangerous transgression in the big picture. But that doesn't somehow erase the course of action Georgia has taken to even get us there in the first place.

Sure, there's this long history of conflicts, fuelled by the Russian side. But suppose none of that was there - would we be willing to accept a country into NATO or the EU that openly censors the media, acts ruthlessly in order to establish territorial integrity and doesn't even stop at potentially drawing the Western alliances into a widespread conflict?

Just look at what a hard time we're giving Turkey for doing similar things - regarding police violence or the persecution of Kurdish separatists.

However, in the case of Turkey, we use this as an argument to keep them from joining the EU, whereas in the case of Georgia, we argue that it's just necessary for them to pursue this course of action, because they have evil Russia as a neighbour. I'm not entirely convinced.

nimh wrote:

What's the difference? The goal is to stop the military conflict, right? I hear what you're saying re "stern mother" - and no, that's not at all what I'm arguing for. That's what we're doing now. We send the Foreign Minister of the country holding the EU Presidency, and the Foreign Minister heading OSCE, and they get lead around by the Georgians, shown Gori, and then (after Georgia has virtually achieved it goal of attacking Tskhinvali, pushing the South Ossetians out into North Ossetia, getting out of South Ossetia again and now claiming that they are the victim of Russian aggression) get the tentative agreement of Tbilisi to some kind of ceasefire agreement.

Then they move on to Moscow (which, in turn, has no intention at all to stop hostilities until it has reached its goal, pushed the Georgian Army out of South Ossetia, taken Gori and occupied a good part of Georgia proper) and then get the deal, after several days, agreed to by the Russian side.

That's just pathetic.

nimh wrote:
My argument is that if you're dealing with a substantively more existential threat from one side, the policeman role can work completely counterproductive. That's what we did in Bosnia for two years, basically concluding that well, all of them are to blame to some extent, so let's just take a neutral position and try our best to stop the shooting and push on negotiations.

Really? You think we actually filled a policemen role in Bosnia? Hm. Well, I think as a policeman, we would have to enforce agreements. That would have called for a much stronger UN mandate, no doubt. But it would also have meant not simply stepping aside when one side (in that case, almost exclusively the Serbian side) was violating the agreements.

nimh wrote:
In the meantime, thanks to our impartial arms embargo the Bosniaks were hardly able to defend themselves, and our policeman's role turned into a caricature when we declared "safe havens" which we then surrendered overnight.

Yup. Exactly my point. We gave one side a free ride, disarming one side, but letting the other side roam the country freely; establishing "safe zones" that we apparently had no intention of enforcing... all of that.

nimh wrote:

No doubt. I think this could go either way for Saakashvili. It could very well mean that NATO will now go ahead with Georgian membership faster than originally intended.

However, NATO membership comes with some responsibility. Saakashvili must have known that there was no way that Russia would just stand by and allow an attack on South Ossetia - not to mention an attack on Russian troops. He started a quite possibly unnecessary military conflict, drawing the West right into a confrontation with Russia.

I'm certainly conflicted on that issue.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:53 am
Guardian Diary today:

"So Russia says it has called a halt to its offensive in Georgia, but yesterday explosions were continuing around Gori, with claims that mortar fire had killed civilians. Confusing, isn't it? Thank heavens for Sky News, which flashed up a handy briefing on its site to steer readers through the bewildering morass of Caucasian politics. "Georgia was one of the 13 colonies that revolted against British rule in the American Revolution. It was the last of the 13 colonies to be established as a colony. It was the fourth state to ratify the United States constitution, on January 2 1788 ..." And so on. The guide was generated automatically by a "related content package", a sheepish Sky spokesman said last night, and was spotted in an hour. A relief, then, that the paragraph offered the following proviso: "Information provided by Wikipedia. Sky News takes no responsibility for its accuracy."
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 10:27 am
The EU should take a page from the US book. We would never unilatterly attack a country over oil. Only the development of nuclear weapons. At least that is what Bush said. How about the EU accepting Georgia into the EU and NATO. That might give Russia pause. Also the finicial considerations which were put forward might do more toward steming the soviets than anything. I don't think the EU is united enough to really do much and the US is in to much trouble both financially and militarily to do anything but talk.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 12:10 pm
Joe Biden in the Financial Times yesterday:

Quote:
Russia must stand down

By Joseph Biden
August 12 2008

Interesting op-ed, in which Biden takes an unusual perspective by predicting that if Russia overreaches in Georgia, it will itself suffer most, as the eventual backlash would cost more than the restored control over Georgia would yield. He names Hungary '56 as an example how that works. Call me very sceptical about that argument, but it's original.

Of interest, on the other hand, is what he has to say about how to understand the context of what is happening, and What Has To Happen Now, including hints of what tools for leverage the West has:

Quote:
[..] By acting disproportionately with a full scale attack on Georgia and seeking the ouster of Georgia's democratically elected President Mikheil Saakashvili, Moscow is jeopardising its standing in Europe and the broader international community - and risking very real practical and political consequences. [..]

For years, Russian leaders have had a constant refrain with their American counterparts. Russia, we were told, wanted two things: international respect and to be treated as an equal by the United States. However, its leaders have evidenced few qualms about denying such treatment to nearby countries. The world has watched with concern as Russia has unleashed punitive economic and political measures against Estonia, Moldova, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, and Georgia when those countries' actions deviated from the Kremlin's wishes. Indeed, the single greatest obstacle to Russia's full acceptance into the international system has been the Kremlin's pattern of aggressive actions toward its neighbours.

Many international leaders have spoken out against these moves, but their concerns have been tempered by hope that Russia would eventually realise its extraordinary potential on the global stage. [..] have shared this ambition and in the past two months I sponsored two legislative measures intended to nudge Russia toward a closer, more constructive relationship with the United States, including action to allow for increased collaboration with Russia on nuclear energy production. Russia has also lobbied to repeal an old trade provision - the Jackson-Vanik Amendment - which currently blocks the country's integration into the World Trade Organisation. The fighting in Georgia has erased the possibility of advancing those and other legislative efforts to promote US-Russian partnership in the current Congress. It may derail them permanently if Russia does not reverse course. [..]

Russia may face other costly consequences for the violence. Vladimir Putin's plans to make Moscow an international financial centre may evaporate as the prospect of sanctions on the country rears its head. Western financial institutions, which have done little to expose evidence of official Russian corruption, may start pursuing the issue much more publicly.

Georgia has made remarkable political and economic progress since the country's transition to democracy. The fighting will inevitably slow that progress, and exact a heavy toll in lives and treasure. But, however severe the damage, Georgia will rebuild - and the United States and Europe must help. The stakes in this conflict are as high as the peaks of the Caucasus.

The only hope for preventing this crisis from becoming a calamity for Russia's relationship with the west is for Moscow to immediately ceasefire, pull back its forces and agree to negotiations brokered by the international community - all steps that the Georgian government has agreed to. If the fighting continues, this moment could emerge as a turning point in the west's relationship with Moscow, and deny Russia the international standing it seeks. That is not the future the United States or Europe want - but it is the future Russia may get if it does not stand down and live up to its responsibilities as a force for progress.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm
old europe wrote:
No doubt. I think this could go either way for Saakashvili. It could very well mean that NATO will now go ahead with Georgian membership faster than originally intended.

However, NATO membership comes with some responsibility. Saakashvili must have known that there was no way that Russia would just stand by and allow an attack on South Ossetia - not to mention an attack on Russian troops. He started a quite possibly unnecessary military conflict, drawing the West right into a confrontation with Russia.

Sounds like we'd basically agree on what the next step for NATO should be?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
why should we do those things? Defending Georgia is not a priority of our nation

Why? Because the Russian tanks in Georgia concern "a quarrel in a far-away country between people of whom we know nothing"?

Yeah, I suppose there were plenty of Americans saying what you said now about Hungary in 1956 too.
0 Replies