school prayer

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 12:40 am
In my school we had what was called a "moment of silent reflection." Now I dont know if that was just a Fairfax County thing or nation wide; but it never upset me. But there were many people up in arms over it, so how do you all feel about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,574 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 12:46 am
@oaktonarcher,
oaktonarcher wrote:
In my school we had what was called a "moment of silent reflection." Now I dont know if that was just a Fairfax County thing or nation wide; but it never upset me. But there were many people up in arms over it, so how do you all feel about this?

How can a Moment of Silent Reflection upset people.

Was one specific religion being pushed during this or were each individual student given their time of reflection for their religion.

If it is the later than those people up in arms need to shut up and stop complaining about little things like that.
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:02 am
@oaktonarcher,
it was the later but so many people in my area fought it for so long, it makes me wonder what people from around the country feel about it. no not one religion over another at all. and i agree with Brent, people need to quit complaining and deal with it, damn it is all of 60 seconds.
0 Replies

JEB007

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 11:10 am
@oaktonarcher,
Teach all religions:yes
Practice religion: no
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:45 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Allow practice of religion: Yes (to a normal extent. I don't think a Muslim student should get out of math everyday so he can go kiss the ground for an hour)
Force practice of religion: No
0 Replies

JEB007

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:55 pm
@oaktonarcher,
yeah, I think students should be aloud to pray and what not in school if they choose to. But I don't thnk there should be a specific time on the academic schedule for this purpose.
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 11:15 pm
@oaktonarcher,
the truth is, as long as there are tests in school there will be school prayer.
lowflyn

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:09 am
@oaktonarcher,
oaktonarcher wrote:
the truth is, as long as there are tests in school there will be school prayer.

Hahaha O so true.
And on the subject, they cannot regulate what someone does in their personal time. There is prayer going on in school everyday from both teachers and students and even administrators. What are they gonna do, put a mind reading device on everyone to see if they have prayed in school? I don't think there should be a publicly read prayer or anything to that extent in school, but I believe there should be a chance for before school student led activities to take part in a prayer for the day. ... If you get what I'm saying.
0 Replies

ohiosweetheart

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:22 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Yup I get it.......... what I do NOT get is why people don't sit down, shut up and reflect.
The day we took God out of school is the day the **** hit the fan and everything went downhill from there.

WAKE UP MORONS! http://www.exquisitelyerotic.net/forums/images/smilies/rant.gif
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:45 am
@oaktonarcher,
When exactly did we take prayer out of school? Are you saying that forced prayer in school causes less crime or changes the way that kids act?

I can tell you I would have acted the same in high school were i forced to hear a teacher or even student led prayer everyday in school.

It would have pissed me off and I would believe no different.

Why should we have a school wide led prayer everyday?
ohiosweetheart

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:52 am
@oaktonarcher,
I had to look back at my post.... I thought so, lol. I didn't say prayer, I said GOD. But getting back to prayer... my son's school still has the one minute of "quiet reflection" they call it now, rather than prayer. I'll fight if they try to stop it.
Why? Because we have allowed every other religion, every culture, every atheist to take our rights, as christians, from us. WE are supposed to respect every other religion that finds its way to this country, but where's the respect for MY religion??
Do I think we should have a principal or teacher-led prayer time? no.
Do I believe that every single student should have the RIGHT to take a minute... ONE FRIGGIN MINUTE we're talking here... to pray to the God of their choice, or not pray if they so choose? an emphatic YES YES YES! You don't want to pray? FINE, stand there and be quiet while MY child exercises his God-given and constitutional right to talk to his God.

In fact.. I'm going to go one step further here...
Most highschools sponsor, or at least allow, clubs, on school property, for extra curricular activities. In my daughters' school, there was a large group of kids, christians, who wanted to start a Bible club. Man you wouldn't believe the opposition! People who had never participated at the school for ANYTHING... all of a sudden found a voice to oppose an after school bible club. Well we fought for it, as parents and tax-paying citizens, and won.
hell the muslims can have their clubs on school grounds, as well as just about every other religion, and they try to block a bible club because it's Christian???? I don't think so........
Brent cv

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 03:15 pm
@ohiosweetheart,
ohiosweetheart wrote:
I had to look back at my post.... I thought so, lol. I didn't say prayer, I said GOD. But getting back to prayer... my son's school still has the one minute of "quiet reflection" they call it now, rather than prayer. I'll fight if they try to stop it.

Well by taking God out I could only assume prayer... I am not talking about the moment of silence. I do not have a problem with that. I have a problem with a prayer everyday led by a teacher that only promotes one religion.

Quote:

Why? Because we have allowed every other religion, every culture, every atheist to take our rights, as christians, from us.

What rights?

Quote:
WE are supposed to respect every other religion that finds its way to this country, but where's the respect for MY religion??

I don't see christians losing any respect myself over other religions. Can you give examples? All I see is other religions fighting for more equality. For instance with the ten commandments that Judge Roy Moore refused to move from the Alabama courts. They should have never been there in the first place.

Quote:

Do I believe that every single student should have the RIGHT to take a minute... ONE FRIGGIN MINUTE we're talking here... to pray to the God of their choice, or not pray if they so choose?

See that is what I believe in. I never said they shouldn't be able to do that.

Quote:
an emphatic YES YES YES! You don't want to pray? FINE, stand there and be quiet while MY child exercises his God-given and constitutional right to talk to his God.

While I agree it is not as if they can only pray in that 1 minute of silence all day Wink

Quote:

Most highschools sponsor, or at least allow, clubs, on school property, for extra curricular activities. In my daughters' school, there was a large group of kids, christians, who wanted to start a Bible club. Man you wouldn't believe the opposition! People who had never participated at the school for ANYTHING... all of a sudden found a voice to oppose an after school bible club. Well we fought for it, as parents and tax-paying citizens, and won.
hell the muslims can have their clubs on school grounds, as well as just about every other religion, and they try to block a bible club because it's Christian???? I don't think so........

I agree that is wrong.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:32 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
When exactly did we take prayer out of school? Are you saying that forced prayer in school causes less crime or changes the way that kids act?

I can tell you I would have acted the same in high school were i forced to hear a teacher or even student led prayer everyday in school.

Forced prayer, who exactly is being forced? Taking prayer out can never happen, Freedom of religion and all. Forced doen't change anything but resentment. But if you do it of your own free will then is does have a bearing in the way you act in society.
Quote:

Here is a good example of what i mean. How will you act now. This is your site, you have the ability to censor me. I would like to resite the first few sentences of 'Our Father"
Our father, who art in heaven. Hallow be thy name. Thy Kindom come, thy will be done. On earth as it is in heaven.
You may or may not do anything. If you do not today, it could be tomorrow. It may be never. In any case you have a choice. As you make a choice now you made one then. If you did not respond to your given right back in the day it is no ones fault but your own. Allowences are made for those who speak up. Not the ones that remain silent.
Quote:

But would you of believed in it enough to leave?
Quote:

Maybe because around 85% of this country believes in it?
Drnaline

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:38 pm
@ohiosweetheart,
ohiosweetheart wrote:
Why? Because we have allowed every other religion, every culture, every atheist to take our rights, as christians, from us. WE are supposed to respect every other religion that finds its way to this country, but where's the respect for MY religion??
Do I believe that every single student should have the RIGHT to take a minute... ONE FRIGGIN MINUTE we're talking here... to pray to the God of their choice, or not pray if they so choose? an emphatic YES YES YES! You don't want to pray? FINE, stand there and be quiet while MY child exercises his God-given and constitutional right to talk to his God.

Bravo, standing up for what you think is right. What they grant to any one on a whim but not to Christians, were the bad guys, LOL. Believe it or not i think Brent would claim to be christian too? I think him not an atheist? Although i could be wrong.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:59 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Well by taking God out I could only assume prayer... I am not talking about the moment of silence. I do not have a problem with that. I have a problem with a prayer everyday led by a teacher that only promotes one religion.

What rights?

I don't see christians losing any respect myself over other religions. Can you give examples? All I see is other religions fighting for more equality. For instance with the ten commandments that Judge Roy Moore refused to move from the Alabama courts. They should have never been there in the first place.

See that is what I believe in. I never said they shouldn't be able to do that.

While I agree it is not as if they can only pray in that 1 minute of silence all day Wink

I agree that is wrong.
Quote:
I have a problem with a prayer everyday led by a teacher that only promotes one religion.

That is subject to individual perspective. Even i leading a christian prayer doesn't mean your praying to my God.
Quote:
What rights?

Freedom of Religion. Separation of Church and State?
Quote:
I don't see christians losing any respect myself over other religions. Can you give examples?

Hows about a few Baptist churchs burnt to the ground?
Quote:
All I see is other religions fighting for more equality.

Like raming a few airplanes into building, planting a few bombs in subways, beheading none combatants. How equal are you willing to let them get before you have to kill them. I can see how we christians are more fanatic in wanting to ride this menace.
Quote:
For instance with the ten commandments that Judge Roy Moore refused to move from the Alabama courts. They should have never been there in the first place.

Can you explain why they should of not been there? Was the judge not allowed to express his freedom? What about the majority who thought nothing wrong with it? The offence is from the voice who should be heard but heeded is to the people to decide.
Quote:
While I agree it is not as if they can only pray in that 1 minute of silence all day

It is not up to the govenment or a school board or any person but yourself when and where you will pray. But if the majority of a class deems it Ok you may voice your opposition but as with most republics, majority rule is usually the outcome.
Brent cv

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:31 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
Forced prayer, who exactly is being forced? Taking prayer out can never happen, Freedom of religion and all. Forced doen't change anything but resentment. But if you do it of your own free will then is does have a bearing in the way you act in society.

I never said anyone was being forced right now. I said that putting prayer back into school in the form of a daily lead prayer by faculty or even students over the intercom for instance is wrong and forcing others to hear a prayer of a religion they do not believe in.

Quote:

Here is a good example of what i mean. How will you act now. This is your site, you have the ability to censor me. I would like to resite the first few sentences of 'Our Father"
Our father, who art in heaven. Hallow be thy name. Thy Kindom come, thy will be done. On earth as it is in heaven.
You may or may not do anything. If you do not today, it could be tomorrow. It may be never. In any case you have a choice. As you make a choice now you made one then. If you did not respond to your given right back in the day it is no ones fault but your own. Allowences are made for those who speak up. Not the ones that remain silent.

This site is not funded by the government. Schools are. Schools should not have daily prayer led by faculty or students period. I already said a moment of silence is fine.

Quote:

But would you of believed in it enough to leave?

Leave where? Hard to leave somewhere when you are in High School :rolleyes:

Why should I leave a public school where I am zoned to go to by the government? School wide led prayer should not be allowed to begin with.

Quote:

Maybe because around 85% of this country believes in it?

That is a horrible reason :rolleyes:

These are not private schools and having someone lead a prayer everyday at a government funded school is extremely stupid and disrespectful to that other 15% of people that go to that school.
Brent cv

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:34 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
Can you explain why they should of not been there? Was the judge not allowed to express his freedom? What about the majority who thought nothing wrong with it? The offence is from the voice who should be heard but heeded is to the people to decide.

It was paid for by the Government of Alabama. Nuff said.

Quote:
It is not up to the govenment or a school board or any person but yourself when and where you will pray. But if the majority of a class deems it Ok you may voice your opposition but as with most republics, majority rule is usually the outcome.

Again no one is denying ANYONE the right to pray at school.

This whole arguement is about teacher/student lead prayer everyday to all the students at the school. That is stupid.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:48 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I never said anyone was being forced right now. I said that putting prayer back into school in the form of a daily lead prayer by faculty or even students over the intercom for instance is wrong and forcing others to hear a prayer of a religion they do not believe in.

This site is not funded by the government. Schools are. Schools should not have daily prayer led by faculty or students period. I already said a moment of silence is fine.

Leave where? Hard to leave somewhere when you are in High School :rolleyes:

Why should I leave a public school where I am zoned to go to by the government? School wide led prayer should not be allowed to begin with.

That is a horrible reason :rolleyes:

These are not private schools and having someone lead a prayer everyday at a government funded school is extremely stupid and disrespectful to that other 15% of people that go to that school.
Quote:

You say no one is forced but yet you use it again in this very quote? Prayer never left school, you cannot stop it. Again, who is forcing them? You do not have to listen or believe, or even stay for it. There is no law to keep it from happening other then some opinions that it should not happen.
Quote:

"Should not have" is your opinion, not law, not in the constitution, not in most thing's i find pertaining to this? The government is not funding nor condoning this. If a teacher can exercise his free speech option in a classroom where he is paid to teach geography the he may preach in that same classroom, IMO.
Quote:
Leave where? Hard to leave somewhere when you are in High School

Into the hall untill they were finished maybe? I ment leave the room. If it offended you enough i do not think they would make you stay.
Quote:
That is a horrible reason

So if 85 out of a hundred students want to have a prayer in school they should not be allowed, why? What does being a private school have to do with it. Majority rule is how we are governed, some dont' like it but that is the case in most any thing in this life.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:55 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
It was paid for by the Government of Alabama. Nuff said.

Again no one is denying ANYONE the right to pray at school.

This whole arguement is about teacher/student lead prayer everyday to all the students at the school. That is stupid.

And what does the Government of Alabama have to do with religion, nothing. Denying is what you are would not allow to the majority of worshipers in school. According to our constitution we may do it any where. not just in school. If a teacher would be prepelled and there were like minded persons willing to do it as well there is no rule against it other then you and others opinion.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:33 pm
@oaktonarcher,
I got a question of hate. Was the kid that tried to kill but instead ran down 9 fellow students a hate crime?