Religion as an institution

Brent cv

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:16 pm
@JEB007,
I just can't see me following a book that can be interpreted in so many ways by so many different people as well as translated so many times over the course of history.
NaterG

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 10:42 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I just can't see me following a book that can be interpreted in so many ways by so many different people as well as translated so many times over the course of history.

However, you follow a constitution that is also interperated in so many ways by so many people. When it comes to any type of governing document, it will always have people with different interperitations. This situation is not only limited to the Bible.
Drnaline

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 11:58 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:

Any book that was writen is supposed to be interpreted. How does a comic compare to a novel to a short story to a text book. You must interprit it to make sense of it, it's a natural process. The Bible is no different. You don't give it enough justice, IMO.
When you read a operation manuel, you know it pertains to a specific item. Some would say you hold as fact because of its directness to your topic. Much like faith. You give one an absolute and the other you scrutinize. You will follow one religiously and the other not a second glance. There in lies your difficulty. As most liberals claim, it's up to the open mind to disifer. The only question is which way you will turn?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:01 am
@NaterG,
NaterG wrote:
However, you follow a constitution that is also interperated in so many ways by so many people. When it comes to any type of governing document, it will always have people with different interperitations. This situation is not only limited to the Bible.
Agreed.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 04:09 pm
@NaterG,
NaterG wrote:

The constitution has also been ammended many different times over the course of its existence.

Let me ask something considering that there is in fact a God that is judging us:

Who goes to hell and who does not based on what? Does a person that believes in the Catholic Church, for example, Mother Teresa since she is famous, go to hell because she does not follow the bible exactly even though her life is lived very very well and she has helped many people over her lifetime?

I do not see myself believing in a super natural being like I have said but I do still run the above thought through my head considering it is true.

What does the bible have to say about that? I grew up in the Church of Christ and my whole life I was feed it was either their way or hell. Basically they said that the bible says if you do not repent, belief and be baptised you get screwed over when you die. Well Methodists do not follow this order. You are baptised when you are born. That is more like be baptised, repent later, and belief later.

So do Methodists go to hell.

I hope you get what I am asking.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 01:54 am
@JEB007,
^ Haha Brent. We were raised Church of Christ man.

Did you miss the day where "everybody but us goes to hell" ?
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 07:46 am
@JEB007,
Then where am I "forsaking the assembly " if I do not actively attend church ?
If I and my family worship in our own way , some think we are not religious . They would like us to join a large church to swell the numbers as if that will prove their church is THE one to attend .
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:20 pm
@JEB007,
I agree. I feel like "where ever two or more gather" IS the "assembly"

I'm just playin devil's advocate.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:40 pm
@Brent cv,
Religion is a creation of Man.

Starting with the First Council of Nicea 325 AD, man started to choose what man wanted to believe. At that first council of bishops they choose to believe some things and not believe other things. Religion is the codification of what man chooses to believe. Religion is flawed because it is a result of human choice.

No Christian Religion is True because Jesus did not leave any notes on what he wanted us to do. Christianity is all based on the interpretations of others either at the time of Jesus' life or interpretations of other hundreds of years after Jesus' death.
Drnaline

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:53 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;8484 wrote:
Religion is a creation of Man.

Starting with the First Council of Nicea 325 AD, man started to choose what man wanted to believe. At that first council of bishops they choose to believe some things and not believe other things. Religion is the codification of what man chooses to believe. Religion is flawed because it is a result of human choice.

No Christian Religion is True because Jesus did not leave any notes on what he wanted us to do. Christianity is all based on the interpretations of others either at the time of Jesus' life or interpretations of other hundreds of years after Jesus' death.
Who said religion wasn't a creation of man? Religion is a group of like minded believers, yes human induced. I have yet to meet a perfect religion, i believe there is no such thing. Truth is what you believe, just like you believe in the theory your trying to convea here. How did you arrive at what you think if not for using interpretation to determine it? You are allowed , yet restrict religions from doing so?
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 05:38 pm
@JEB007,
Quote:
Religion is flawed because it is a result of human choice

You consider that a flaw, I consider it the perfection of religion, if we could simply choose to live and let live, how much suffering would be spared.
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:04 pm
@JEB007,
Ok.. here I go again lol.

I have been at the same Church since I was born. I had my time of rebellion and didnt go for years. I had my own crap to work out.

Not all Churches are the same. My Church is wonderful and loving. It has not always been that way. Its seen its share of rotten pastors and even more rotten members. Heck, I've been a rotten member at times. If you arent being spiritually fed where your at, go somewhere else.

Pray about where God wants you. He WILL answer. He will either show you to another Church or he will put you to work to change the one your at. How much time do you spend in prayer for your Church and community? Its important. If you want change bad enough.. pray for it. If you care enough to gripe about it, you should care enough to pray for it.

Churches ask for money.. because most of them dont have a choice. Less than 20% (numbers vary) of the people in a church tithe. If more people would do that then the problem would be solved. People somehow got the idea that a dollar or so every week would suffice.. it doesn't. God commands us to tithe 10% of our best. He WILL provide for you if you are faithful, period! Ya gotta kinda help him along on that by not wasting your money on wants. Ipods are NOT a need. Software so that you can play the latest games is NOT an need.
He promises food and clothing for his followers.

As far as Churches spending money on buildings. The Church will not grow if there isnt any room for anyone. heck, Churches wont grow if theres no parking for people. If a Church isnt trying to get new members and make new Christians, its dead and theres no reason for it to exist. Ok enough of that crud..

God has a Church where any one of us can be spiritually fed.. but in actuality we are supposed to do that on our own everyday by staying in the word and meditating on it. Church is a time to offer up praises and song. God is supposed to be the audience and we are the players, not the other way around. Im NOT judging anyone. Im in the same boat as anyone here.
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:20 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent;1326 wrote:

Ever been deeply in love Brent? (not lust lol) Did you want to do everything you could for that person? You wanted to make them happy and protect them from evil? Did you want to give them gifts of your love?

Thats what being in love with Jesus makes us want to do. Its a personal love relationship with Jesus. He wants to provide for us and give us good gifts and we are to love him and try to give back to him.

Its not so much following a book as it is the personal relationship. The Bible is simply a guideline and we cant have the personal relationship without the guidebook.

yes its been interpreted out the wazoo but thats HUMAN error, not the fault of the Bible. In the end..Its all about the relationship you have with Jesus. He gave us the Holy Spirit to help in the translation. if you dont read it and pray.. you will never find it or understand it.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:27 pm
@Brent cv,
For some reason Jesus does not love me.

I try to be a good person. I help others when they need help.
I give more than I receive. I even let people merge or change lanes on the highway without speeding up to cut them off.

Jesus keeps throwing crap in my face.
At every fork in life - the wrong things happen.

Why should I love Jesus?
He sounds like a Gold-Digger Girlfriend.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:03 pm
@JEB007,
Trying to be good doesn't make you good.
Giving more then your recieving is a personal opinion.
Common courtesy works well for your fellow man when your living in a civilized world.
Quote:
Jesus keeps throwing crap in my face.
{quote]At every fork in life - the wrong things happen.

That's probably because you keep making the wrong decicion and then expecting the outcome to change.
[/quote]
Funny you think it's Jesus doing that. I'm more inclined to believe your doing it to your self.
Quote:
Why should I love Jesus?

How do you expect to love something when you won't give freely of yourself.
Quote:
He sounds like a Gold-Digger Girlfriend.

Sounds like you blame him for a lot gone wrong in your life. Also sounds like you feel you deserve some thing. Maybe wanting some thing for nothing?
0 Replies