Thanksgiving Dinner

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:29 pm
Cav,

With the oil cold, you need to put either the bird or a reasonable fascimile into it to see how high the oil rises. Follow? Of course it's only an estimate because the oil expands when it heats, but at least you know you aren't going to dump boiling oil onto a propane flame when you plop in the ready to cook bird (sans plastic). Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:33 pm
Yeah yeah, I caught that, LOL. I was jes havin' a little cooking jokey there.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:10 pm
I may be a bit of an american iconoclast but Im of the opinion that deep fried turkey, after having tasted it in 2 different occassions , and cooked by 2 differentcooks , both knowleadgeable regarding the fine art of deep frying turkeys as well as the adjustment of the seasonings and brining prior to cooking, sucks.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:14 pm
the first and only time I had deep fried turkey - I loved it...........and well....i guess that's all I've got to say about that :-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:29 pm
A proper roast is the way to go.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:42 pm
oyeh. after all, what is a deep fried turkey but "fast fooF"
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:44 pm
so.....................what are y'alls plans for the holiday?

I'm going to tampa and then to kissimee for the wknd
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:53 pm
Here are my plans:

I Wanna Polka Polka
(Grenga, Stevens, Johnson)
The Ivan Offelcockich Orchestra

See that girl with the pretty red dress on,
I wanna polka.
I love the way she spins and twirls,
I wanna polka.

Oh how I wish that she'd look my way now,
Then I could polka.
I'd love to feel those pretty little curls,
How I wanna polka.

We took a little trip down to Love Canal (NY),
So I could polka.
but we stopped in French Lick, Indiana
No time to polka!

Intercourse Pennsylvania was my destination
wanted to polka.
But she left me down in Blue Ball PA,
Never got to polka.

bridge
well I went up to Maine to Bangor
then I went down to Florida to Tampa
but when all is said and done
I'd rather polka.

We spent sometime in Flushing NY,
I had to polka.
She said not until we get to Hygiene CO,
then maybe I could polka.

I said first let's stop at Moorehead Jersey,
before I polka.
Things got salty in Saline Michigan,
Never got to polka.

She said let's go to Bonesteel, (SD)
now there's a place I'll polka.
but it went Askew in Mississppi,
Didn't know if I could polka.

Climax MI was our destination,
She wanted me to polka.
but I had to make a stop in Crappo MD,
I lost the urge to polka.

bridge
well I went up to Maine to Bangor
then I went down to Florida to Tampa
but when all is said and done
I'd rather polka.

French Lick, Love Canal
Blue Ball, Moorehead
I Wanna Polka

Bonesteel, Intercourse
Climax, Crappo
I Wanna Polka

Tampa, Flushing
Hygiene, Saline
I Wanna Polka
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:57 pm
*sigh* you simply amaaaaaaze me
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:21 pm
I had a local chinese BBQ shop do my turkey a couple of years ago, it was yummy. I would do it again.
The whole deep fried turkey thing has always kinda turned me off, I mean turkey is the diet meat product and to immerse it in hot oil is just, well repulsive, each to his own I guess.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:28 pm
I dunno, that's NEXT week.

I'm an early fan of Onyxelle's, I have points accumulated.

Hmmm, I might try brining a little one...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 02:25 am
Jespah's got the right idea. Take a note, gautam!

...pity me, I have neither.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:30 am
:-D

I'm makin' the toikey this year. And all the other stuff, while my husband and Dad put acoustical tiles back up in the kitchen ceiling.

It's a This Old House Thanksgiving!

PS Mom will be here, too, but she'll probably be smart and just read a book while the rest of us run around like nuts.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:39 am
I don't believe I'm cooking TG Dinner at all...we are going to my mom's house (who's probably already started cooking) and then....offff to the beach :-)
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:45 am
"a little one" - i've got 'little ones'...can i try brining them too :-)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:14 am
cavfancier wrote:

Ahhh !! Somehow I was thinking of head cheese as being....forget it, never mind - me and my imagination Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:19 am
One can always read between the lines Gautam, especially if you are French, and call it cheese of head, heh heh.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:27 am
We bought us a whole 4H lamb from the local butcher shop recently. I was unloading stuff into the freezer while Mrs. SealPoet was taking inventory...

Chops
Chops
Chops
Leg
Shoulder
Ground
Leg
Shoulder
Kidney
Chops
Ground

There's that one package... haven't opened it to take a look, but the size and shape certainly match whats stamped thereupon: Lamb Head.

Whatinhell we gonna do with that?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My other favorite way to cook the turkey is on the grill... as ehBeth can attest.

But not for Thanksgiving.

We're having a smallish group (6) this year. Our friends are having a smallinsh group this year (7). Light dawns! Lets combine! 13 is about th right size for a proper brouhaha!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:37 am
Well....it isn't Easter, but if you are not Greek Orthodox, you can still make this anytime of year:

Traditional Easter Soup / Mageiritsa

This soup is only made once a year and is traditionally eaten after the Midnight Mass of the Greek Orthodox Easter.

Ingredients

1 lamb's head
juice of 3 lemons
1 lamb's heart
3 bunches spring onions, chopped
1 lamb's lung
1/2 cup fresh dill weed, chopped
1 lamb's liver
2 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
8oz. Lamb's intestines
1 cup celery leaves, chopped
1 tbs. Salt
3 tbs. Butter
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/2 cup long grain rice
Egg-Lemon Sauce / Avgolemono:
5 eggs, separated Juice of 2 lemons

Preparing the lamb:
The mouth, nose and ears of the lamb's head have to be cleaned. Get your butcher to do this for you and to split the cranium in half. Wash the head, brain, heart, lung and liver thoroughly in cold water. Run clean water from the tap through the intestines and make sure that they are cleaned completely, then using a stick, turn them inside out and clean again. Soak the cleaned head and all the organs in water with the lemon juice mixed in for at least 1 hour, then drain.

Making the Soup:
Place all the lamb parts into a large pot and cover with cold water. Add salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Remove any foam that collects on top and let it boil over medium heat about 40 minutes or until the meat is tender.

Remove all the lamb parts from the pot and set aside so they can cool down a bit for you to handle them. Strain the broth and return it to the pot, setting aside 2 cups of broth for the Egg-Lemon sauce.

With a heavy knife, finely chop the intestines and brains and return them to the broth. Chop the heart, liver and lung finely, discarding any cartilage or thick membranes and return them to the broth as well. Pick over the head and return any meat to the broth. If it's your preference the eyes can also be included.

Add the onions, dill, parsley and celery with the butter into the soup pot and bring it all to a boil, cooking over medium heat for about 1 hour. Add the rice and boil gently until it is done, about 15 minutes more and then remove the pot from the heat.

Egg-Lemon Sauce/Avgolemono:

Beat the egg whites with a mixer until peaks form but not stiff. Beat in the yolks one at a time and slowly drizzle in the lemon juice. Gradually add in the reserved stock. Pour the entire mixture into the soup pot, stirring constantly so the egg doesn't separate on you. Serve immediately
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:17 am
Ceili, proper deep frying won't increase the fat content of turkey at all. You're cooking the turkey in fat, not marinating it.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/22/2024 at 11:58:06