My husband wants a Rommba from Santa Claus

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:21 am
Mr. Noddy wants a Roomba for Christmas. A Roomba is billed as an "intelligent" vacuum cleaner. It will either guide itself around the room to be cleaned or accept directions from a remote controlled by its master. I suppose it would accept a woman holding the remote, but I think robots are more Male Friendly.

Mr. Noddie is an unabashed gadget lover of long standing. To be fair, since he's retired, he's done most of the vacuuming in these parts since he retired, but his health in general and his bad back in particular are making vacuuming difficult these days.

Has anyone any personal, hands-on/dust-off experience with a Roomba.
The model "As advertised on TV" is about $40, but TV Roomba doesn't do rugs. The two rug cleaning models cost about $200 and $250.

I understand from the reviews that they really, truly clean--even pet hair comes up for Roomba. How much noise do they make? How difficult are they to set up? What sort of problems lurk down the road?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,950 • Replies: 40
No top replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:27 am
I want one too! And have some of your same concerns. Hammacher Schlemmer is carrying it and I figure they must do a full demonstration.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:28 am
You know, I like the Roomba myself but have a great amount of questions. I have cats...how would they react to it? Does it turn off if it hits something..or heck..something stomps on it? How about steps? I have a sunken entryway, what would it do with that?

Does anyone have one yet?

Yeah, I saw it at Sharper Image for like 200.00.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:29 am
Ooops! That's where I saw it. In the Sharper Image catalogue.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:46 am
Mr. Noddy is a researcher and he informed me that Amazon Housewares has the best price. As yet, they don't have user reviews.

Quinn 1--

I'd guess that all models of Roomba treat cats the same way with sublime indifference. On the other hand, cats (who come with optional indifference) probably treat Roomba in a variety of ways, depending on breed and temperment.

I believe I've read that the manufacturers suggest strict supervision with Roomba, cats and dogs until you check out the animals' reactions. Even as-seen-on-tv Roomba is a very expensive chewy toy.

Eoe--

Last year Sharper Image was the only place Roomba was available. This year their price has doubled--and to my mind is not competitive.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:03 am
I have one and it is a nice contraption, but it hasn't been working right lately. It wouldn't hurt a pet in any way. When it bumps into something it turns around and goes in another direction. It also has a laser that detects stairs and will turn around when it gets to them, so it won't go tumbling down. Also, if it gets stuck somewhere it will turn itself off. I have no idea what's wrong with mine, but it's been staying in one spot for some reason and won't do what it's suppose to be doing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:21 am
Montana--

Thanks for the information. Why not post your Roomba's woes on one of the techie forums and see whether a long-distance diagnosis is possible?

Question: How much noise does this machine make compared to a conventional vacuum cleaner?

By the by, I understand that some conventional vacuum cleaners have deliberately intensified roars to convince the humble homemaker that she's really doing super-high powered cleaning.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:26 am
It doesn't make much noise at all. I loved it at first, but just within a few months I had trouble with it, so if I was to do it again, I wouldn't have bought it.

Unless I can figure out what's wrong with it, it is useless to me now :-(
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:41 am
Just from seeing the pictures, it seems kind of small. I wonder what the bag capacity is, and how often you have to change or empty it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:48 am
Montana--

Why not call a computer teckie? The worst they can do is say "duh"? Even a conventional vacuum repair man might have opinions or referrals? What about the manufacturer? Did you save the paperwork that came with your poor, sick Roomba?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:50 am
Don't know if this reviewer has an ax to grind, but:
http://www.indepthinfo.com/gadgets/roomba.shtml

Now I think that I have found something:

http://www.epinions.com/Roomba_Intelligent_Sweeper_Vac_Vacuum_Cleaners/display_~reviews
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:58 am
Thanks Phoenix. Now I REALLY want one.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:38 am
Phoenix--

You should collect a commission from Amazon. I just placed my order (w/ Supersaver Shipping). Furthermore, I bookmarked both your websites. Are they listed in the A2K Portal?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:44 am
The one I saw at sharper image was really loud, and I think it's more for fun than an actual cleaning device.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:08 am
Quote:
Phoenix--

You should collect a commission from Amazon

Now wait a minute, guys. I have absolutely NO fiduciary interest in Amazon. In fact, I'M the one who usually gives THEM money! Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:44 am
Phoenix--

If not a commission, maybe a discount....?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:46 am
Noddy24- Believe me Noddy, if there were ANY way to get a discount, I would find it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:47 am
I've used one. It works better than I had expected but wasn't as fun.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:16 am
Craven--

Your fine mind and expansive soul rise above grit and grim and mundane reality.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:42 am
So, there are actually two models? Im confused.

Well, its good to know the lo down on it...thanks all.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My husband wants a Rommba from Santa Claus
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:51:59