Summer Books Primer!

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:15 pm
Okay, now since the Northern part of the globe is amidst the 2010 summer season, we need to discuss the necessities and the details of the institution that is summer reading!

Do you have a separate definition/category of books you tend to read during these stifling hot times? Does the hot weather make you want to read light fair or thrillers or steamy romances?

What's best for reading on the beach? In the park before the dusk time public concert? Etc....
http://chalkdust101.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/summer-reading-533.jpg

What are you reading this summer? What are your favorite summer reads? Any suggestions? Either expected genre works or spit ball pitches from out of nowhere?

Here's some podcast fuel to inspire you into the summer reading mood!:
Quote:
June 19, 2010
Just what is a summer book, anyway? Does it have to be a big, fat, juicy page turner to earn the right to be packed away in the luggage (or downloaded on the e-reader) and taken along on vacation? We put that question to several book reviewers. After all, they make make their living reading books, so what do they take with them when they go on a road trip, fly overseas, or hunker down in the country?

John Freeman, editor of the literary magazine Granta, thinks our collective idea of summer reading may be too narrow. He likes to read all kinds of things when the weather gets warm. Big novels are great on the beach, but later, when sitting on the porch or settling down for the night, he'll pull out a more slender volume: essays perhaps, or even poetry. Salon book reviewer Laura Miller also reads essays in the summer, but she really loves a novel that carries her away to a far off place where she can get lost, even when she's not on vacation. And Slate reviewer Troy Patterson, who says he's more of a hammock reader than a beach reader, likes the extra time summer allows to linger over a book, reveling in the language as well as the plot. So here are a few of the books these three reviewers say will make for some good "summer reading" this year.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127918885

Quote:
Talking Hot Summer Books
From “Hitch 22″ to “The Passage” and beyond, we’re on the hunt for great summer reads.

Whether it’s by Kindle, or iPad, or good old-fashioned book with paper pages and a cover to get soaked, summer is reading season.

Time to get lost in the music of a good book. When “good” means swept away.

This summer, plenty of ways to go. We’ve got tribes and lovers and dragon tattoos.

Pearl Buck is back. And Jane Smiley with “Private Lives.” Christopher Hitchens. And debut miracles.

This Hour, On Point: Reading lists and recommendations from around the country for summer, 2010.

-Tom Ashbrook

Guests:

Mark Sarvas, host of the literary weblog “The Elegant Variation” and author of Harry Revised.

Jane Henderson, book editor at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Read her “Book Blog.”

Chris O’Harra, owner of Auntie’s Bookstore in Spokane, Washington.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,225 • Replies: 4
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
interesting, i read what i read when i read it

when i was a kid i usually looked for trashy pulp type books in the summer (Doc Savage, The Avenger, i remember a Jaws like rip off called Grizzly)

last year i finished the books i'd taken up north before the end of the trip so i bought a Dan Brown (one of the non code series) for $0.50 at a library sale
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 07:04 pm
@djjd62,
Trashy is always good this time of year.
~

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM EDT
Summer Reads for Kids
Summer books – for kids. Picks for toddlers to young adults that will keep them reading through the long hot summer.

http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/07/summer-reads-for-kids
Quote:
School’s out for summer. No more homework. Time to kick back and relax–and read for the fun of it.

There’s a big world of new children’s literature out there–ready to take to the beach, to camp, and the backyard.

Rick Riordan’s back with the “Red Pyramid.” “Mockingjay” by Suzanne Collins comes out in August. And there’s so much more.

Pop-up picture books for toddlers. Graphic novels for young adults. Teenage angst page-turners.

We’ve got the list that even your kids will want to read twice.

This hour On Point: Summer reads for kids

- Jane Clayson
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 07:22 pm
It's summer? Really? We're still wearing jackets. It's flipping nuts! I think summer starts next week here.

I read "trashier" stuff in the summer because I have more stuff I have to pay attention to. I get to read in 5 minute segments at best and that's only if there is a lifeguard on duty.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 02:15 am
If you are all into High Fantasy trash
Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series
Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series
0 Replies