Do you know for a fact that Jesus was not a Therapeutae?

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:15 pm
As the title reads Do you know for a fact that Jesus was not a Therapeutae?
If you do please explain so that I can understand as you do.
Thank you RSL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,202 • Replies: 15
No top replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
According to Philo, the Therapeutae were widely distributed in the Ancient world, among the Greeks and beyond in the non-Greek world of the "Barbarians", with one of their major gathering points being in Alexandria, in the area of the Lake Mareotis:

"Now this class of persons may be met with in many places, for it was fitting that both Greece and the country of the barbarians should partake of whatever is perfectly good; and there is the greatest number of such men in Egypt, in every one of the districts, or nomes, as they are called, and especially around Alexandria; and from all quarters those who are the best of these therapeutae proceed on their pilgrimage to some most suitable place as if it were their country, which is beyond the Maereotic lake."
—Philo, Ascetics III[1]
They lived chastely with utter simplicity; they "first of all laid down temperance as a sort of foundation for the soul to rest upon, proceed to build up other virtues on this foundation" (Philo). They were dedicated to the contemplative life, and their activities for six days of the week consisted of ascetic practices, fasting, solitary prayers and the study of the scriptures in their isolated cells, each with its separate holy sanctuary, and enclosed courtyard:

"the entire interval from dawn to evening is given up by them to spiritual exercises. For they read the holy scriptures and draw out in thought and allegory their ancestral philosophy, since they regard the literal meanings as symbols of an inner and hidden nature revealing itself in covert ideas."

—Philo, para. 28
In addition to the Pentateuch, the Prophets and Psalms they possessed arcane writings of their own tradition, including formulae for numerological and allegorical interpretations.

They renounced property and followed severe discipline:

"These men abandon their property without being influenced by any predominant attraction, and flee without even turning their heads back again."

—Philo para. 18
They "professed an art of healing superior to that practiced in the cities" Philo notes, and the reader must be reminded of the reputation as a healer Saint Anthony possessed among his 4th-century contemporaries, who flocked out from Alexandria to reach him.

On the seventh day the Therapeutae met in a meeting house, the men on one side of an open partition, the women modestly on the other, to hear discourses. Once in seven weeks they meet for a night-long vigil after a banquet where they served one another, for "they are not waited on by slaves, because they deem any possession of servants whatever to be contrary to nature. For she has begotten all men alike free" (Philo, para.70) and sing antiphonal hymns until dawn.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 01:18 am
@reasoning logic,
"Fact" comes from the Latin facere "to construct". There are, and will continue to be, multiple "Jesus" constructions according to vested interests,.
Philis

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:25 am
@fresco,
Coming from a biblical point of view, only god knows the inner heart of a person.
Man alone does not have the ability to see everything in a persons heart.
As we have lived long enough to see how peculiar the behavior of people can be. We are shocked to find out for ex: the school coach is a pedophile or a cop is corrupt and the list is endless.
Therapeutae's have been given this title by man, man is not capable to say who is perfect either by outward appearance or actions or what the true desire is in a persons heart.
fresco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:31 am
@Philis,
Interesting construction ! Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:11 am
But no one has been able to establish of a certainty that he existed at all.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:18 am
@edgarblythe,
Yes that is what I have also concluded. What I am interested in is not so much weather he was real or not, but finding the orgin of Jesus. Many people died for this belief and what I would like to know is what was this belief.
It appears to me that this belief may have changed extremely by the teachings of the church.
I by no means think that I know for sure what this belief was but I do find it interesting that the therapeutae does seem to have a very close resemblance of a christian.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:39 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Yes that is what I have also concluded. What I am interested in is not so much weather he was real or not, but finding the orgin of Jesus. Many people died for this belief and what I would like to know is what was this belief.
It appears to me that this belief may have changed extremely by the teachings of the church.
I by no means think that I know for sure what this belief was but I do find it interesting that the therapeutae does seem to have a very close resemblance of a christian.

While I am no scholar, my reading over a lifetime has convinced me that the 'facts' surrounding Jesus have evolved with the system promoting him.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:52 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree again with what you have said. I think that the first teachings of jesus may have been a extreme threat to the rulling power inso much that they tried to kill off all who taught this belief [ethics] to other people.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:56 pm
@fresco,
Yes you do seem to be correct in my opinion, Maybe what I should have asked is if you know for certain that Jesus was not a Therapeutae.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:31 am
@edgarblythe,

Quote:
While I am no scholar, my reading over a lifetime has convinced me that the 'facts' surrounding Jesus have evolved with the system promoting him.

I think the worship of Jesus has evolved. It is no longer believed true by many people that just attending church makes you a lover of god and living a righteous life. The pews are littered with derelict "christians".
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:29 am
@Philis,
Same might be said of the pulpits.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:33 pm
Yes it does seem as if we are all seeing the same things or am I wrong?
Philis

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
I believe the Truth of scripture and how it is interpreted has been evolving away from some mainstream religions.
0 Replies

kiuku

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 06:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
Yea he could have been, an essene. He is healing. Why wouldn't he be? Are the Therapeutae bad?
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 12:09 pm
@reasoning logic,
Yes, I know, by the same reasoning I answer, How do I know that Lincoln wasn't a secret member of the Confederacy, namely that one must define what being a secret member is IN TERMS of what we do know about Lincoln.

Insofar as Jesus agreed with the Th. they agree with HIM and insofar as He doesn't, blah, blah, blah.

Ask a real question.
0 Replies