Ship Ahoy: The O'Jays

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:44 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 12:47 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/17880765_10211478978666783_4781438823297472698_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=xcVvThtg2X8AX9v4-uZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=3b3cd7e7c7d14bef8a36de95edca613c&oe=5EB75540
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 12:56 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 06:37 am
https://www.stevelocke.com/blog/i-fit-the-description?format=amp&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3vO0mj4TpZ6UQITEUZZAg4VQk5qSHbhP_iPh-vj00easS681X5HRLh6Ug
On my way to get a burrito before work, I was detained by the police.

I noticed the police car in the public lot behind Centre Street. As I was walking away from my car, the cruiser followed me. I walked down Centre Street and was about to cross over to the burrito place and the officer got out of the car.

"Hey my man," he said.

He unsnapped the holster of his gun.

I took my hands out of my pockets.

"Yes?" I said.

"Where you coming from?"

"Home."

Where's home?"

"Dedham."

How'd you get here?"

"I drove."

He was next to me now. Two other police cars pulled up. I was standing in from of the bank across the street from the burrito place. I was going to get lunch before I taught my 1:30 class. There were cops all around me.

I said nothing. I looked at the officer who addressed me. He was white, stocky, bearded.

"You weren't over there, were you?" He pointed down Centre Street toward Hyde Square.

"No. I came from Dedham."

"What's your address?"

I told him.

"We had someone matching your description just try to break into a woman's house."

A second police officer stood next to me; white, tall, bearded. Two police cruisers passed and would continue to circle the block for the 35 minutes I was standing across the street from the burrito place.

"You fit the description," the officer said. "Black male, knit hat, puffy coat. Do you have identification."

"It's in my wallet. May I reach into my pocket and get my wallet?"

"Yeah."

I handed him my license. I told him it did not have my current address. He walked over to a police car. The other cop, taller, wearing sunglasses, told me that I fit the description of someone who broke into a woman's house. Right down to the knit cap.

Barbara Sullivan made a knit cap for me. She knitted it in pinks and browns and blues and oranges and lime green. No one has a hat like this. It doesn't fit any description that anyone would have. I looked at the second cop. I clasped my hands in front of me to stop them from shaking.

"For the record," I said to the second cop, "I'm not a criminal. I'm a college professor." I was wearing my faculty ID around my neck, clearly visible with my photo.

"You fit the description so we just have to check it out." The first cop returned and handed me my license.

"We have the victim and we need her to take a look at you to see if you are the person."

It was at this moment that I knew that I was probably going to die. I am not being dramatic when I say this. I was not going to get into a police car. I was not going to present myself to some victim. I was not going let someone tell the cops that I was not guilty when I already told them that I had nothing to do with any robbery. I was not going to let them take me anywhere because if they did, the chance I was going to be accused of something I did not do rose exponentially. I knew this in my heart. I was not going anywhere with these cops and I was not going to let some white woman decide whether or not I was a criminal, especially after I told them that I was not a criminal. This meant that I was going to resist arrest. This meant that I was not going to let the police put their hands on me.

If you are wondering why people don't go with the police, I hope this explains it for you.

Something weird happens when you are on the street being detained by the police. People look at you like you are a criminal. The police are detaining you so clearly you must have done something, otherwise they wouldn't have you. No one made eye contact with me. I was hoping that someone I knew would walk down the street or come out of one of the shops or get off the 39 bus or come out of JP Licks and say to these cops, "That's Steve Locke. What the **** are you detaining him for?"

The cops decided that they would bring the victim to come view me on the street. The asked me to wait. I said nothing. I stood still.

"Thanks for cooperating," the second cop said. "This is probably nothing, but it's our job and you do fit the description. 5' 11", black male. One-hundred-and-sixty pounds, but you're a little more than that. Knit hat."

A little more than 160. Thanks for that, I thought.

An older white woman walked behind me and up to the second cop. She turned and looked at me and then back at him. "You guys sure are busy today."

I noticed a black woman further down the block. She was small and concerned. She was watching what was going on. I focused on her red coat. I slowed my breathing. I looked at her from time to time.

I thought: Don't leave, sister. Please don't leave.

The first cop said, "Where do you teach?"

"Massachusetts College of Art and Design." I tugged at the lanyard that had my ID.

"How long you been teaching there?"

"Thirteen years."

We stood in silence for about 10 more minutes.

An unmarked police car pulled up. The first cop went over to talk to the driver. The driver kept looking at me as the cop spoke to him. I looked directly at the driver. He got out of the car.

"I'm Detective Cardoza. I appreciate your cooperation."

I said nothing.

"I'm sure these officers told you what is going on?"

"They did."

"Where are you coming from?"

"From my home in Dedham."

"How did you get here?"

"I drove."

"Where is your car?"

"It's in the lot behind Bukhara." I pointed up Centre Street.

"Okay," the detective said. "We're going to let you go. Do you have a car key you can show me?"

"Yes," I said. "I'm going to reach into my pocket and pull out my car key."

"Okay."

I showed him the key to my car.

The cops thanked me for my cooperation. I nodded and turned to go.

"Sorry for screwing up your lunch break," the second cop said.

I walked back toward my car, away from the burrito place. I saw the woman in red.

"Thank you," I said to her. "Thank you for staying."

"Are you ok?" She said. Her small beautiful face was lined with concern.

"Not really. I'm really shook up. And I have to get to work."

"I knew something was wrong. I was watching the whole thing. The way they are treating us now, you have to watch them. "

"I'm so grateful you were there. I kept thinking to myself, 'Don't leave, sister.' May I give you a hug?"

"Yes," she said. She held me as I shook. "Are you sure you are ok?"

"No I'm not. I'm going to have a good cry in my car. I have to go teach."

"You're at MassArt. My friend is at MassArt."

"What's your name?" She told me. I realized we were Facebook friends. I told her this.

"I'll check in with you on Facebook," she said.

I put my head down and walked to my car.

My colleague was in our shared office and she was able to calm me down. I had about 45 minutes until my class began and I had to teach. I forgot the lesson I had planned. I forget the schedule. I couldn't think about how to do my job. I thought about the fact my word counted for nothing, they didn't believe that I wasn't a criminal. They had to find out. My word was not enough for them. My ID was not enough for them. My handmade one-of-a-kind knit hat was an object of suspicion. My Ralph Lauren quilted blazer was only a "puffy coat." That white woman could just walk up to a cop and talk about me like I was an object for regard. I wanted to go back and spit in their faces. The cops were probably deeply satisfied with how they handled the interaction, how they didn't escalate the situation, how they were respectful and polite.

I imagined sitting in the back of a police car while a white woman decides if I am a criminal or not. If I looked guilty being detained by the cops imagine how vile I become sitting in a cruiser? I knew I could not let that happen to me. I knew if that were to happen, I would be dead.

Nothing I am, nothing I do, nothing I have means anything because I fit the description.

I had to confess to my students that I was a bit out of it today and I asked them to bear with me. I had to teach.

After class I was supposed to go to the openings for First Friday. I went home.

See this form in the original post
Discover more from steve locke
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 08:35 am
“Racism isn’t getting worse, it’s getting filmed” - Will Smith
roger

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

“Racism isn’t getting worse, it’s getting filmed” - Will Smith

I hope he's right.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:49 am
@roger,
I don't think it could get any worse since it takes place on a daily basis throughout the entire country.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 08:45 pm
So far I haven't seen a single instance of an official offering to shake up any police departments.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 08:24 am
Karen Walz
@khwalz
·
53m
Hey, Boomers--remember how, in the 60s, Black protesters & organizers were linked to "foreign agitators," called communists & worse? Remember when Hoover's FBI was all over MLK's every move, with LBJ's blessings? There's an old playbook working. Remain vigilant, support Justice!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 03:37 pm
https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/5/31/21276084/tulsa-race-massacre-black-wall-street-protests-george-floyd
99 years ago today, one of America’s worst acts of racial violence took place in Tulsa
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 09:42 pm
Mark Ames
@MarkAmesExiled
·
2h
You can’t be a democracy without at least one opposition party. The eternal question, “where are the Democrats?”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:38 am
Strike down laws that protect and encourage racists and stop making news ones is a minimum we should expect.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:20 pm
At last a politician addresses the problem:

Amend federal civil rights laws to allow more effective prosecution of police misconduct by changing the standard from willfulness to recklessness;
Abolish "qualified immunity," so police officers can be held civilly liable for abuses;
Prohibit the transfer of offensive military equipment to police departments;
Strip federal funds from departments that violate civil rights;
Create a federal model policing program that emphasizes de-escalation, non-lethal force and culturally competent policing in which access to federal funds depends upon the level of reform adopted. As part of this effort to modernize and humanize police departments we need to enhance the recruitment pool by ensuring that the resources are available to pay wages that will attract the top-tier officers we need to do the difficult work of policing;
Provide funding to states and municipalities to create civilian corps of unarmed first responders to supplement law enforcement, such as social workers, EMTs, and trained mental health professionals, who can handle order maintenance violations, mental health emergencies, and low-level conflicts to aid police officers;
Require agencies to make records of police misconduct publicly available;
Require all jurisdictions that receive federal grant funding to establish independent police conduct review boards that are broadly representative of the community and that have the authority to refer deaths that occur at the hands of police or in police custody to federal authorities for investigation. In addition, the boards would be authorized to report to federal authorities other types of abuses by police including patterns of misconduct. This would be supplemental to current federal authority to commence investigations. Clearly we need to enhance federal funding for such investigations.

- Bernie Sanders
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 08:57 am
Bernie didn't mention stand your ground laws, but I am certain they would be revised or eliminated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 03:28 pm
"Shahid Buttar...said Eric Garner was also 'murdered' on camera 'and here we are again, years later...the same debate...with the Democratic leadership having turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to our communities in the years since.'" — @CBSNews
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 11:27 pm
Benjamin Dixon
@BenjaminPDixon
·
28m
The reason it’s so hard for Democrats to co-opt this movement is because we’re all fully aware that it’s Democratic mayors that are allowing their cops to brutalize protestors.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2020 07:48 am

AshleyStevens
@The_Acumen
Cops don’t need more education to be less racist. Stop perpetuating that classist bullshit. Those who create racist laws, and enforce racist sentences are educated lawyers, judges, and elected officials. Doctors, nurses and teachers practice racism on a daily. 🤷🏽‍♀️
6:38 AM · Jun 8, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
Retweets
@The_Acumen
·
2h
Replying to
@The_Acumen
To ignore how deeply rooted white supremacy is in America, is on you. In every corner of this country, it prevails. There’s critical race theory on this, books you could read, or just look around and pay attention to life.
AshleyStevens
@The_Acumen
·
2h
Sure, give cops more education, but it won’t stop them from doing what they do. The whole system is rotten. You won’t talented tenth your way outta this.
Definitely not a cop
@JasonSellers32
·
1h
Replying to
@The_Acumen
and
@treydayway
Oh sweet baby Jesus I love you for saying this! Top to bottom it’s filled with them! I’ve been saying it for years but no one will listen to me.
AshleyStevens
@The_Acumen
·
1h
Some of the most racist and vile people I’ve encountered were those with multiple degrees and PhD’s. Then there’s also critical race theory on medicine and it’s hella prevalent in education. So, no, more education won’t fix this. Policing in America can’t be reformed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2020 01:32 pm
I have been especially critical of Democrats for several years now. I had abandoned forever the Republicans during the Reagan years. I viewed after that the Democrats as our best hope, if they got on track, to live up to Roosevelt's promise. I was especially excited when Bill Clinton became the nominee. His biography, superficially, was similar to mine. By the time he left office I knew he had been a better Republican than the Republicans. His party cheered and went with him. I had no place else to go, I thought, and so I continued voting for Democrats. For a time I was on board with both Warren and H Clinton. I was leery of Obama because he spent so much of his time with Republicans, but voted for him. From then I began to awaken to the betrayal the Democrats represent to the American people. They are today as corrupt as the Republican Party. There is one wild card that may save them for another four years. There is a complete madman in the White House. If Biden can eke out a win over him, certain elements of destruction is likely to ease. Biden will be a total disaster and I will fight him, but - I HAVE CONCLUDED THAT I MUST OVERLOOK BIDEN'S FAILING BRAIN AND HELP GET THE CRAZY MAN OUT BEFORE HE GETS ALL OF US KILLED. So you read it correctly. I will vote for Biden this election.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2020 06:50 am
Right on point. Thanks to several friends, and I’ll share it too.
———————————————-

Well worth the read, especially for folks in the Tulsa area. Understand that I am merely sharing. These are the thoughts of Yvonne Reeves-Chong, candidate for HD 122. Food for thought.

Trump's incendiary rally planned for Juneteenth in the city of worst race massacre in American history is designed to enrage the country. Take a look at this brilliant suggestion for a national response.

I am reposting this from Yvonne Reeves-Chong, candidate for HD 122.

OK folks, real strategy session here:

Trump has announced his first in-person rally on the site of the largest African-American massacre in history on Juneteenth. Insensitive? Antagonizing? Disrespectful?

No, strategic. Racial division is his strategy to win reelection.

He wants a really big story in which he controls the narrative. His poll numbers are dropping; he NEEDS the really big story. Trump is an idiot but don't for one second think that the people around him and behind him are idiots. They are brilliant strategists. Brilliant and evil, meaning they will do anything to win.

Here is his reelection narrative:

"Those people" want to harm good people like you. They are animals and only Trump has the will to stand up to their thuggery, looting, and chaos. He is the "Law and Order" President.

He is now going to create the picture he wants America to see on their television sets.

It will be the first in-person CoVid rally; ALL the nation's media will be there to cover it. Trump in Tulsa on Juneteenth, the media will be waiting for the really big story with bated breath. It is so provocative that it begs for protesters.

They are BEGGING for protesters.

If there is any protest crowd at all in Tulsa, they will plant provocateurs in the crowd to start an altercation. They will have people to begin fights between each other to seed mayhem. The provocateurs will have flashbangs or explosives to feed panic. The provocateurs will create violence and rioting and looting for the media to cover. I know, the protestors will be committed to nonviolence. That's why they will seed the crowd with Supremacists, Three Percenters, and Boogaloo types. They want blood and gore on the TV screens and they'll use whoever to get it.

Why?

Trump's team knows that nothing will galvanize his base and scare White Suburban voters like the photos of fires, bloody faces, and destruction in middle America. He can stop the slide in his numbers by showing them their worst fears.

This rally is not disrespect. This is a reelection strategy. Remember, the Electoral College can be won with only 23% of the popular vote if you can get those votes in the right states.

So, what do we do?

We stage non-violent silent sit-ins or lay-ins for 8:46 at staggered intervals around the country. EVERYWHERE BUT OKLAHOMA. Make Tulsa a non-story. Make the really big story nationwide, non-violent, racially diverse protests everywhere except where Trump is. Trump rallies are what they are. If the story is everywhere else, the media will cover Trump for the opening five minutes and cut away to something interesting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 10:04 am
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/102821816_4477510515624584_6490839673114140036_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=-ZdoIf6t-ogAX8n-Vsf&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=2154373d854027b85b8e670c4aaedbbf&oe=5F09CD1F
0 Replies