The relationship between worker's rights and outsourcing jobs

Mercer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:11 am
I think there some people out there that fail to make the connection between workers' rights and outsourcing. If you are angry about outsourcing then logic dictates that you should also advocate global worker's rights. Generally, the cheaper the labor the lower the working conditions and standard of living of the workers. For example, higher wages and improved working conditions in China means more jobs in the United States. Similarly, lower wages, worse working conditions, and lower standard of living in the United States will also lead to less outsourcing. True, there are those who would prefer to lower the standard of living of one group people rather than raise the standard living of another group of people but I consider those who prefer this route to be among my enemies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,286 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:59 am
@Mercer,
Mercer wrote:

I think there some people out there that fail to make the connection between workers' rights and outsourcing. If you are angry about outsourcing then logic dictates that you should also advocate global worker's rights. Generally, the cheaper the labor the lower the working conditions and standard of living of the workers. For example, higher wages and improved working conditions in China means more jobs in the United States. Similarly, lower wages, worse working conditions, and lower standard of living in the United States will also lead to less outsourcing. True, there are those who would prefer to lower the standard of living of one group people rather than raise the standard living of another group of people but I consider those who prefer this route to be among my enemies.

Why get angry at the people? When it is the politicians who make these problems occur. The only reason there is outsourcing from the US is because of too many imposed requirements for companies operating within the US to uphold. If the government would reduce these restrictions many of these businesses would return. Governments that get involved with the functioning of corporations will always end up creating a reduction in the standard of living for it's own citizens.
Mercer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:40 am
@Krumple,
I don't understand your logic. In (for example) the United States, working conditions were greatly improved because of government intervention and regulation. Jobs are outsourced to countries that don't have the same protections. You want to take away the protections from workers in developed countries. Why would you want to do such a thing? Wouldn't it be better to improve wages and working conditions in other less developed countries instead of lowering wages and working conditions in more developed countries? Your thinking is backwards.
0 Replies