What is post-rock?

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:07 am
So I've heard much about a particular genre of music caled "post-rock".
I'm never into genres and titles, but I know that a lot of bands I really enjoy fall into this category. Examples: Explosions in the Sky and Duster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0o8JCxjjpM
I love to listen to and play music in this manner, I'm just curious to what people really classify as 'post-rock'.

My interpretation is progressive, building instrumentals which use superb instrumentation to create soundscapes and use dynamics to elicit strong feelings and emotions. Lots of guitar work with time-based effects like delay.

Other bands like Mogwai are called post-rock too.

I guess nowadays any genre might as well have a '-core' at the end.

ex: post-rock'core
ha
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 749 • Replies: 5
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:10 am
i listen to music, period
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:20 am
i've never really got the whole, "this thing needs a name", i'd say, i really like club music (which is odd because i hate clubs), and they be like, oh, what do you like house, trance, big beat, hardcore etc, and i'd say, i really like club music, because i don't really care what it is, i just care if i like it

i have a few explosions in the sky recordings, and quite like them, i found them through listening to godspeed you black emperor and a silver mount zion, if you've not heard their stuff you might like it
CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:46 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i've never really got the whole, "this thing needs a name", i'd say, i really like club music (which is odd because i hate clubs), and they be like, oh, what do you like house, trance, big beat, hardcore etc, and i'd say, i really like club music, because i don't really care what it is, i just care if i like it

i have a few explosions in the sky recordings, and quite like them, i found them through listening to godspeed you black emperor and a silver mount zion, if you've not heard their stuff you might like it

im with you, i just love music and absolutely can't stand the labelling process that happens. music I make, I won't even try to give it a name, like when people ask "what kind of music is it?"

the labels though, can sometimes bring about discoveries of great bands I suppose.

But anyways a friend of mine told me about godspeed you black emperor, but i haven't heard of silver mount zion. I'm going to check it out.

Some awesome stuff a friend of mine showed me that I thin you'll dig if you don't already

RJD2
Astronautilus

He's really into this cool instrumental hip hop beats with awesome instruments. Takes you on a trip for sure.

I also got this album recently, don't know much of the band, Duster. but it came out in 2000 and is phenomenal.
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 11:22 am
@CarbonSystem,
CarbonSystem wrote:
But anyways a friend of mine told me about godspeed you black emperor, but i haven't heard of silver mount zion. I'm going to check it out.

the two bands share some members, they record on the constellation label, some other good bands there as well

think i've heard some of the Duster stuff, will have to check it out further
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:51 am
sigur ros anyone?
0 Replies