Arrowhead hunting anyone?

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:24 am
Its a passion of mine...love it. Is there anyone in here that likes to search for arrowheads Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,412 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:34 am
Wouldn't know an arrowhead, if I fell over one. Where I live, you can't really find any artifacts, but it must be an interesting hobby!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:34 am
It is....we pack up the kids, the ice chest and make a full day out of it. It involves loads of patients, and more walking them some care to do. But its as easy as walking the roads here and looking in the road ditches. To look back as how our Native American Ancestors lived is mind boggling!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:41 am
Its a hobby of mine. I especially am interested in Paleo Indian culture and the Transitional forms from Paleo to Later . I live in an area of PA known to hunters. Its amazing how many points were found in an area less than 2 mi sq. I would consider this the peak of clumsiness, sorta like losing your cell phone.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:43 am
I have a friend who does lots of arrow hunting here in New Jersey. He has a formidable collection.

I've never found one -- although I have walked many plowed fields looking for them.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:55 pm
Frank....gotta know what your looking for..once you figure it out, you can spot it!

Farmer man....your not kidding on numerous points in one area. Its that way here too, usually chips, where there was apparently a camp set up...but you have to imagine how populated it was with Native Americans at those time periods. Were talking 10's of thousands of years ago. Thier blades or arrowheads were as common as us walking down the street and picking up pennies.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 02:59 pm
sqaw pass by Denver,CO is a good place
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 03:35 pm
yep, they can be numerous. And Frank, The technique is called patterning. They train people to pattern in archeology. One way to do it is to take a handfull of pennies and drop them on a parking lot (have someone else do it) Then walk over the area and pick out the pennies. Then do it in a field. What happens in patterning is that you dont actually look FOR anything, your mind rejects anything that isnt a penny, (or an arrowhed) As you get good at it, you can almost trot across a field. I actually find my best hunting in and around stream banks. i found a neat large "tommyhawk" head (actually whats known as a celt) in a stream near Quarryville Pa
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 03:44 pm
Unfortunately, I have the attention span of a not especially attentive 2 year old. (Unless the thing I am attending to is A2K or sex.)

So the amount of time I devote to arrowhead hunting is not great.

I get bored fast.

Like I said earlier, I have a friend who collects them and he has a huge collection. The area in which I live was very heavily populated by Indians.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:14 pm
My best find so far, is a Dalton Classic...I actually found it while we were slowly driving down an old logging road. It was lying on the side on top of pine straw...that part boggled me.

One of the most unique ones so far, is the leather punch that I found. It looks like a long curved fingernail thats finely serated on the edges.
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:53 pm
I remember when i was very young i would spend hours collecting rocks. one time out gathering, I did find a very small arrowhead. I put it in my back pocket but when i went to show my parents what i had found, the arrowhead had disapeared. I was quite young so i dont think anyone believed that i had found one.
0 Replies

dh student

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:18 pm
arrowheads
Finding arrowheads in the desert is easiest on a slope after a rain when they are swept downhill and caught in the roots of the sagebrush. Watch out for snakes. Just a hint ! From sunny, Vegas...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 07:31 am
I once had the opportunity to visit an archeological dig in southern England -- where Stone Age tools were being found in abundance.

And, in a particular bit of luck in the late 1950's, I watched a part of some late evacuation of an area of Pompeii.

Hell, if I can't brag about finding any arrowheads, I can at least bring that stuff up. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:01 am
WOW FRANK!!......That is something to brag about!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:09 am
BTW...I live close to what was known as "Valley of the Vapors".

All Indian Tribes gathered here, to gather herbs and navaculite out of the area pits. They had mud baths and thermal waters they thought to be healing. Valley of the Vapors was thought to be a mystical place and all weapons and anonymosity had to be laid aside.

The history on the place is pretty neat to learn about.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 01:24 pm
i have a bunch of novaculite play balls and bobs for fish nets. Cool stuff.

Hunting arrowheads (actually throwing points cuz the bow was a very late introduction) is often a time consuming thing and easy to get a neckache if youre over 40. so when you reach 40 Frank, youll have to watch it cause too much stiffness isnt good for you.
(nonexistant emoticon with a knowatImean Nudge nudge wink wink nudge nudge?)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 01:35 pm
farmerman wrote:
i have a bunch of novaculite play balls and bobs for fish nets. Cool stuff.

Hunting arrowheads (actually throwing points cuz the bow was a very late introduction) is often a time consuming thing and easy to get a neckache if youre over 40. so when you reach 40 Frank, youll have to watch it cause too much stiffness isnt good for you.
(nonexistant emoticon with a knowatImean Nudge nudge wink wink nudge nudge?)

That was a low blow, FM. :wink: :wink: :wink:

"Too much stiffness"!!!

Hummm...maybe I ought to be doing a bit more looking for arrowheads.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 04:49 pm
Hey Farmer Man......you get a neck ache under 40 too. lol Went around for days with a crick in my neck from it.....just smile like ya been up to something no good!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:41 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:
It is....we pack up the kids, the ice chest and make a full day out of it. It involves loads of patients, and more walking them some care to do. But its as easy as walking the roads here and looking in the road ditches. To look back as how our Native American Ancestors lived is mind boggling!

I do whenever I'm in the Ozarks. Haven't found many here in Urban Texas. Geological formations, fossils, and historic objects in general are interesting. It also gives you an excuse to go out hiking and look for stuff Smile. The father of a boyfriend of mine has a huge arrowhead and antique gun collection - showed it to me the first time I came over - which was a little scary, but fun Very Happy . I wouldn't want to live out in the boonies of the Ozarks, but I really miss my vacations there.
Texas has some sorry looking oak trees...

Anyone here been geocaching?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:50 pm
HAHa...I live in the boonies of the foothills of the Oachitau Mountains. Were one of them towns with one red light, and you marry someone thats kin to the other half of town that your not....ha. And yes.....my tree does fork! lmao
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Arrowhead hunting anyone?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 09:12:19