• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,703 • Replies: 9
No top replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:06 am
Theae:
Absolutly loved this book. I even tried to start a thread about the priest a while back, but as no one seemed to have read the book ist didn't take off.

http://able2know.org/topic/147174-1
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:06 am
@Theaetetus,
Great book review. I'm looking forward to more.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:09 am
@Theaetetus,
Wow....I have nor read that book for so long. I recall loving it when I did.

What caused you to read it? An interest in Camus' philosophy, or in the book as literature?

Both, probably, I would guess?
fresco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:12 am
@Theaetetus,
I've always understood it to be a parody of the Nazi occupation.
Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:09 pm
@dlowan,
I am a philosophy major, and when I was at a glorified community college, the other philosophy major was obsessed with Camus. I have read The Rebel and The Stranger and have generally like Camus' thinking. For a while, I was obsessed with existential era philosophy and it seems that Camus and Ortega--and even Nietzsche to an extent--has stuck with me for the long haul.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
@fresco,
I didn't even think of that as I was reading it, but it makes sense now that I think about it. Most people think about Nazi occupation in France or Poland or somewhere closer to the main battle lines. But Camus was from Algeria and used it as a setting which had a much more passive Nazi presence, although random and fierce, came and went for no real apparent reason.
fresco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:04 pm
@Theaetetus,
NB
In 1941, and at other times during WW2, Camus was resident in mainland France, and working for the resistance.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:35 pm
@fresco,
That does make it much more contextual
panzade

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:32 pm
@GoshisDead,
I have reconsidered fresco's view after reading the book recently;spurred by Thea's review.
Camus had joined and then quit the Communist party while in Algeria. In post-war France he was dismayed by the imprisonments and executions of collaborators and the show trials conducted by Russian controlled Eastern block countries.
One of his characters,Tarrou says: "I have decided to reject everything that, directly or indirectly, makes people die or justifies others in making them die."
I think Camus was wrestling with his conscience and getting ready to break with his former comrades in the French Left.
0 Replies