lazymon

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 11:03 am
I am wondering why there is no games section on your site.

Aren't games like Go, majong, Chess, checkers, and others a form of philosophy?

It would really be great to partake in some online chess with you people sometime!:a-ok:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,804 • Replies: 7
No top replies

harlequin phil

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 06:44 pm
@lazymon,
for online chess, try FICS or ICC
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:52 am
@lazymon,
Whether games are a form of philosophy depends on what you mean by philosophy. There are all sorts of places where one can spend time playing games, whether chess or Empire Earth or Doom, and all of these are quite enjoyable; however, there are very few places on the internet where lucid and philosophical discussion can be (and I use the potential of can be on purpose) held.
At some point in the future, once the new forum software is implemented, chess at least may be added. Until then you may want to arrange some games with other Members using third-party sites.
John
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:39 am
@lazymon,
lazymon;159334 wrote:
I am wondering why there is no games section on your site.

Aren't games like Go, majong, Chess, checkers, and others a form of philosophy?

It would really be great to partake in some online chess with you people sometime!:a-ok:
In many strategy games there are much philosophy, just a shame it's so hard to process to anything entertaining other than for the few interested in specific game.
lazymon

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 08:53 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;166434 wrote:
In many strategy games there are much philosophy, just a shame it's so hard to process to anything entertaining other than for the few interested in specific game.

I especially love reading the stories in the starcraft series. Am I wrong in thinking that the different strategies in strategy games are all due to philosophical ideas? Such as allowing players to expend thousand of troops all for the "good" of your purpose. Or to slowly try and insure the safety of all your resources and troops as another strategy for winning. To me that is what makes a game really fun is having multiple strategies that are all plausible and useful for "winning" the game. Also when the strategies are tied to philosophical ideas this adds a kind of deep and rewarding experience, whether it is comical, or serious.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:45 am
@lazymon,
lazymon;166717 wrote:
I especially love reading the stories in the starcraft series. Am I wrong in thinking that the different strategies in strategy games are all due to philosophical ideas? Such as allowing players to expend thousand of troops all for the "good" of your purpose. Or to slowly try and insure the safety of all your resources and troops as another strategy for winning. To me that is what makes a game really fun is having multiple strategies that are all plausible and useful for "winning" the game. Also when the strategies are tied to philosophical ideas this adds a kind of deep and rewarding experience, whether it is comical, or serious.
PC RTS are on the other hand very attractive as a popular media, I have only played Age of Kings obsessivly, but also other RTS some. There are many celebreties in these RTS, one can mention SlayerS_`BoxeR` "the Terran Emperor".

Choosing and constructing tactics and strategies are heavily based on philosophy, one of the earliest and notorious philosopher are Sun Ztu.
lazymon

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:01 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;166786 wrote:
PC RTS are on the other hand very attractive as a popular media, I have only played Age of Kings obsessivly, but also other RTS some. There are many celebreties in these RTS, one can mention SlayerS_`BoxeR` "the Terran Emperor".

Choosing and constructing tactics and strategies are heavily based on philosophy, one of the earliest and notorious philosopher are Sun Ztu.

nice, watching how those celebrities play starcraft is much different than how me and my brothers play at our lan parties. None of us are nearly as good as we play maybe once a year in a big tournament Smile
HexHammer

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:56 am
@lazymon,
lazymon;166791 wrote:
nice, watching how those celebrities play starcraft is much different than how me and my brothers play at our lan parties. None of us are nearly as good as we play maybe once a year in a big tournament Smile
I envy the beauty of their skills, so gracefully they execute their tactics and strategies, where I helplessly makes everything boil over and loses all my army, when they only merely get their paint scratched.

It's like a mortal ballet to behold, a play with a grim story, where much hope are laid in every turn, and dispair and suffering as a consequense of a moments unthoughtfulness. When the final curtains falls, one can only cry out ENCORE!! ..DACAPO!!
0 Replies