I need help with a music project!!

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:40 pm
Hi I am new! This is my first post!! Very Happy

I need some help on something. I am in a music appreciation class, and the my professor is a music tyrant!! What started out as a fun cool...easy going class thing...has turned into a stressful project Shocked

My project is 90's music. I have to come up with a list of songs...(That i already did)...! BUT now I have to come up with dynamics of the era, what made made the 90's stand out from the other eras, genre, things like that....GRRR Embarrassed I am having a very hard time finding text book definitions, Can anybody help?!?!?! It would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 898 • Replies: 8
No top replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:07 pm
First of all, welcome to a2k :-) I like your signature, as amor omnia vincit is something they used to tell us to con us into taking latin (impress your boyfriend!. . .)

Now, I don't know how much help we can give you without this being plagiarism. . . if your professors are anywhere near as anal as my professors are, I would suggest not much. I suspect your honor code is probably as picky as ours.

Therefore, without giving you answers that come to mind, I'd recommend thinking of some of the new forms of music that showed up in the nineties really for the first time. . . maybe rap, boy bands? What are their characteristics? What does it mean that nowadays it's easier to get a contract if you're pretty than if you can actually play? How has 'spoken music' changed the way kids grow up, who gets record contracts, and has it changed the image of kids in the eyes of adults?

I'd say those questions might put you on the right track. . . this is a fascinating subject, and I wish you luck!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:21 pm
To echo the princess. Welcome to A2K, gaqt. If you do a google search, you will find many songs that were good in the 90's. One that surprised me because I instantly liked it was this one:

Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same
If I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong
And carry on,
'Cause I know I don't belong
Here in heaven.

Would you hold my hand
If I saw you in heaven?
Would you help me stand
If I saw you in heaven?

I'll find my way
Through night and day,
'Cause I know I just can't stay
Here in heaven.

Time can bring you down,
Time can bend your knees.
Time can break your heart,
Have you begging please, begging please.

Beyond the door,
There's peace I'm sure,
And I know there'll be no more
Tears in heaven.

Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same
If I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong
And carry on,
'Cause I know I don't belong
Here in heaven.

Eric Clapton

There are others, of course, but if you will notice, retro is big right now. I listen to the songs that are being played behind commercials, and I am amazed. Hank Snow's "I've Been Everywhere".; "Route 66".Jazz...the genre is endless. You need to make a case for the fact that really good music never totally fades, and, of course, cite every single reference.
0 Replies

gaqtpie76

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:41 pm
Thanks I didn't even know where to start looking...I found songs I just couldn't find they dynamics and things like that:-)!!
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:46 pm
Well, you're right that that project is daunting if you don't know where to start. . . I'd think of your favorite song. How is it different from the music your parents listened to in school? What does it say about you, and about your friends?

My dad, for instance, liked classic rock, because he grew up when synths were first being used, and he thought they were stupid, and that fake music was inferior to his own guitar sounds :-) I, on the other hand, do dabble in pop a bit, and I think it reflects that our generation is into looks, money, and youth. The musicians my dad worshipped were old, ugly, and very talented. Most of them today are young, gorgeous, and short on talent.

I think you could take this project and really infuse it with what you love about music, and why you think the music you loved in the nineties was your favorite, instead of that stuff they were playing on the oldies stations :-) That will take care of the "what makes it different" aspect, at least, and will probably make a really interesting project. . .
0 Replies

gaqtpie76

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:09 pm
OH totally!! Very Happy I found music the music that was the easy part Razz I even broke it down into early 90's middle and late....BUT then I was like AHHHHHHH Shocked WHERE do I go from here? HAHA!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:11 am
Think about the different categories of CD music at your favorite music store.

They have the music broken down by genre such as classical, jazz, country, blue grass, rhythym n blues, rock n roll, folk, rap, hip hop, instrumentals, opera, reggie etc.

In a very large music store, you might find within each of those main categories some subcategories to further divide the types of music into smaller categories.

Let's take rock n roll as an example. It might be broken into categories such as hard rock, easy listening, heavy metal, oldies, romantic, patriotic, anti-war, dance, etc.

Make a list of each of those categories and subcategories down the left side of a paper. Now think about each one and write two or three words that come to mind to describe each category.

Once you have that list done, add another column of words on the right side of the paper and list the various decades from 2000 to 1950's (or other date ranges).

Now think about each category of music and try to decide which decade that type of music was most popular and what was going on in the world during those specific decades. List two song titles for each decade/category as examples.

After you've done that exercise, your paper will have pretty much written itself. Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:59 pm
Hey 76, welcome to a2k...

If I can give my twisted take on the 90's.
Firstly, I don't think the 90's is a real stand out era in music it just tried to recover from the over-the-top eighties suffocating under the dirge of big hair and sythosizers.
Melody died, diva singers sang the hell out of songs - vocal calisthenics made songs pretty unmemorable or unhumable.
Girl and boy bands became huge again like in the sixties but have mostly lost their lustre now.
Rap became more accessable and mainstream.
But I think the 90's became the starting ground for fusion, mixing beats and blips from different genres and time. Jazz melody with street backbeat, Cuban and arabic sounds with celtic or african instruments. DJ's blending and sampling, all night dance raves changed listening habits and introduced newer sound to the otherwise boring radiowaves.
0 Replies

gaqtpie76

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 02:06 pm
If it where me I would not have choosen this decade! Yep I got the boy band angle...But they where not the first...just the prettiest!! (or so to speak)!! GRRR...good thing this class ends in 2 weeks!! Very Happy
0 Replies