Help deciphering the Hymn of Creation from the Rg Veda!?

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:21 pm
I'm taking a philosophy class and we're studying the beginnings of Hinduism and Buddhism and how they were based off of the Indian scripts known as Vedas. The Veda we are focusing on is the Rg Veda and in particular right now, the Hymn of creation. If anyone is familiar with this passage could you explain to me what the script means when it talks about the "One"? It is mentioned a couple times in context such as "Desire entered the One in the beginning." This makes me believe that the One is a deity of sorts, however I theorized that the One could also be a metaphor for Brahman. The passage also talks about the sages, and I don't have the slightest inkling on who the sages might be. Any help would be great!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 1
No top replies

polpol

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:06 pm
@Karpowich,
Hi Karpowich,
I cannot help you but I wonder what you found. Since the thread is dated 01-08, I am curious if you found answers to your questions. I've been reading R.Veda for some time but I never talk about it except poetically when something reminds me of something I read. I cannot put any understanding into words. I had someone who helped me in the beginning and he would insist that I shut off analytical thinking in order to grasp the meaning, the essence; it requires aesthetics as a way to knowledge and we are not accustomed to that, perhaps gnosticism comes closest to that ie. knowledge that brings about transformation...they say by reading the Vedas, one gets the feeling of becoming immortal. Anyways, I am curious how it can be taught in a western university and it's nice to know that it is taught. There is also the problem of translation and unless we are born into the Hindu culture, it is almost impossible to comprehend the totality of what it's all about.
0 Replies