Musical tastes

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:08 am
So, what kind of music is everyone into on this forum?

I myself have a great love for all musical styles, being a musician myself (been playing guitar for about 5 years now) I have respect for nearly all musicians who truly have a passion for the music they create.

Some of my favourite music at the moment is the American Indie-rock scene, bands like: Manchester Orchestra, Margot & The Nuclear So And So's, Kevin Devine, Brand New, Band Of Horses, Bon Iver, Death Cab For Cutie, The Shins, Minus The Bear, Modest Mouse, MGMT etc.

What is everyone else listening to these days? :detective:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,522 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:19 am
@JamesMills,
JamesMills;118510 wrote:
So, what kind of music is everyone into on this forum?

I myself have a great love for all musical styles, being a musician myself (been playing guitar for about 5 years now) I have respect for nearly all musicians who truly have a passion for the music they create.

Some of my favourite music at the moment is the American Indie-rock scene, bands like: Manchester Orchestra, Margot & The Nuclear So And So's, Kevin Devine, Brand New, Band Of Horses, Bon Iver, Death Cab For Cutie, The Shins, Minus The Bear, Modest Mouse, MGMT etc.

What is everyone else listening to these days? :detective:

'What music do you listen to?' 'What music are you into?' i always (recently always) find it a funny question and assumption that one prefers a kind of type of music better or more than another, better than just saying 'i love music', if you are a true music lover you know there is more than the guitar for instance, more than the music you play with, and once you start to keep no favourites you will find your appreciation of music as a whole far more reaching and far more spectacular. Dont box yourself in.
I like Death Cab For Cutie and MGMT as well of the ones you offer, but will check out the rest.
To answer at present, the cds i am listening to today/last night, Rob Zombie, Blondie, Aisan Dub Foundation, Pearl Jam, Peter Gabriel and later Chopin Piano Concerto Nos 1 and 2 or may try my Sufi guide to music.
I have no taste but for that which i have not tried yet, music is not just sweet, is not just sour, is not just savory it is more than clasification.
I love music.
Now if you were to ask me what i dont like, i would be hard put to tell you this as well, for i truely believe there is good examples of music in all the genres and sub-genres, catergoreis sub-categories, bastardisations and immaculate conceptions. At least the ones i have more than sampled, there is so many more flavours, so to say you have a favourite denies you the hope of finding a new one.
It is a journey if well flown that need have no end.
I love music.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:27 am
@JamesMills,
until perhaps you find one genre that has in it all the qualities of every other one you loved before...then maybe you would become monogamous!

i love nusrat fateh ali khan and since i heard his voice there isnt enough time in a single day to get it out of my system, or i would also be playing pearl jam and tool and zydeco and fado and metallica and bluegrass and bagpipes etc etc...

so i would say i love music too in that it is an integral part of my life and always has been, and i have preferences and even a dislike or two, but only one performer of one classification that rates as the only music i would want if i was trapped without anything but one cd sort of thing...

my son is a drummer and writes music and has had a band or two, and i love his style also...he introduced me to metal, though i dont know where he is now...will find out soon. he likes bands from countries outside the usa...
0 Replies

josh0335

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:04 am
@JamesMills,
Public Enemy, Mos Def, Typical Cats, Lupe Fiasco, Q-Tip to name a few.

Yep, love the hip-hop.
Sam I Am phil

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:45 pm
@josh0335,
Bon Iver, Ben Folds Five, Spoon, Of Montreal, Franz Ferdinand, Gallows, The Human Abstract, In Flames, Incubus, The Strokes, White Rabbits, Queens of the Stone Age, and Ratatat.

I know its a bit of an eclectic mix but there's nothing like segwaying from heavy metal to techno. I always listen to piano music here and there, mostly because I play and I like to hear what others are doing with it.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 04:25 pm
@JamesMills,
well I was born in '53 so I was 11 or 12 when The Beatles released Love Me Do. Was I a girrrl, I would have been screaming in the aisles. Being a boy, I just thought, how cool is this, this is what life really must be about, not all that boring stupid meaningless stuff like adult life and the news and school. So over the next 4 years it was just The Beatles, but by '68 the whole Psychedelic Rock thing just exploded, so it included Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, and Santana. And then in the 70's I more or less exited popular music. Blood Sweat and Tears turned me onto jazz-rock, so the next big things were John Mclaughlin, Weather Report, numerous instrumentalists and musicians. So I have hardly discovered 'a band' since then, with the exception of Steely Dan and brit acid jazz band Incognito. But I hardly know any musicians in their twenties any more, all I know is that there's a lot of them, and I don't like hip-hop.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 05:26 pm
@JamesMills,
what, no black sabbath? gotta love ozzie....
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:05 pm
@JamesMills,
yeah I had a Black Sabbath album (and Savoy Brown, now who remembers them?) but I got bad vibes off it while I was tripping, so retreated to Sgt Peppers

we were talking....about the space between us all...and the people...who hide themselves behind the wall....of illusion...they don't know, they can't see....are you one of them..... (George Harrison, Within you and Without you)

Been there ever since :bigsmile:
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
@JamesMills,
My favorite music is mostly rock and folk rock:
Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Dire Straits, Van Morrison, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Eric Clapton and Cream, Focus, Jethro Tull, The Animals, Genesis, and 4 Non Blondes. I also liked U2 before its popularity made the music less special.

I guess my favorite song has to be So Far Away by Dire Straits.
Money for Nothing has the best guitar riff at the intro.
My favorite individual artist is probably Mark Knopfler for his amazing guitar skills.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 09:35 pm
@JamesMills,
I find music to be very situational...a movie soundtrack that is great during the movie might be terrible on your ipod, etc. There's no real genre I could say I like best. Don't like moody very much though.

Leonard wrote:
I also liked U2 before its popularity made the music less special.

How does this work? I've never really understood it.
Leonard

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 04:44 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122082 wrote:
How does this work? I've never really understood it.

Some of the older generations who used to listen to U2 say that the 'young' people who currently listen to it aren't true fans. Many fans of certain music can say the same about their own favorite bands as well. I nearly snagged tickets for U2 once upon a time, but these ticket-hoarding companies are pretty fast.
0 Replies

Quinn phil

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:40 pm
@josh0335,
josh0335;119361 wrote:
Public Enemy, Mos Def, Typical Cats, Lupe Fiasco, Q-Tip to name a few.

Yep, love the hip-hop.

Mos Def and Lupe- The best rappers.

Also, for those of you who are philosophical, (assumeably everyone on this forum), RADIOHEAD is a GREAT band to listen to. Catchy, diverse, and deep concept. Try em' out. Coldplay's pretty good, as well as Red Hot Chili Peppers and Immortal Technique. The Strokes, The Smiths.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:14 pm
@JamesMills,
The Stooges / Fun House is a great album for parties. Hendrix doing Hey Joe, when he plays with his tongue or teeth (I can't tell) is as good as it gets. Nirvana at their best. Zeppelin, Sabbath, Stones, Beatles all have some first rate energy.

Ornette Coleman is my kind of jazz. Coltrane on his wilder side.

Conlon Nancarrow is just so lovably eccentric. He used player pianos and made delightfully half-sane and humanly impossible sonic-orgies. Bach when alone at night. Webern, Schoenberg, Xenakis for their novelty. Webern reminds me of Beckett. I love strings in general, trios and quartets.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:23 pm
@JamesMills,
I saw a great jazz vocalist last Friday here in Sydney the night before he flew back to the US. Giacomo Gates. Now I know that mainstream jazz is a dying art, it is hard to fill a club, and I was the youngest member of the audience (and I ain't young.) But I just loved it, I think his style - a 'cognac baritone' who really knows how to improvise runs rings around hip hop. I guess I am just old fashioned.
0 Replies

mike90t09

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:36 pm
@JamesMills,
Gotta love Mathcore!! Very technical / jazzy style of metal music.
Bands:
The Tony Danza TapDance Extravaganza
The Number Twelve Looks Like You
I Speak in Calculus

Just to get you started :a-ok:
0 Replies