website on dorothy dunnett
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 721 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 03:42 pm
I'm very partial to Francis Crawford, even if Ms. Dunnett's habit of quoting in a dozen languages makes me feel unlearned and uncooth.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 04:44 pm
Laughing

yes she certainly does!

aren't they just wonderfully rounded characters though? and the political situation, peasants to wealthy - they are all there and so real.What an intelligence and intellect she must have had - what a dinner party guest!

I remember reading a throwaway remark of ?Lymond ?one of the rest of the 'gang' about a 'wheel of skelly eyes scots'

I realised in context that it meant cross eyed and just how accurate her research is and how old the expression must be - an old friend's maiden name was Skelly - and the family have a hereditary problem with a cast in the eye, nowadays corrected with surgery.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:18 pm
In addition to her erudite storytelling skills, she's a professional portrait painter. The Lymond Chronicles are on my Comfort Reading shelf.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 10:52 am
Have you read the House of Niccolo series? they are brilliant too.

Also King Hereafter about Macbeth

and then there are the much shorter, lighter 'Dolly' series about a secret agent written under her maiden name of Halliday.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:40 pm
House of Niccolo is definitely slated for some long, winter evenings--when my ego feels particularly healthy and adventurous.
0 Replies