3

Literature for our generation.

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 06:32 pm
There have been many novels written that define a generation. What are some current novels that you think may define the first decade of the 21st century. There seem to be many mainstream works written for monetary gain and lacking in a meaning.
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,069 • Replies: 8

richrf

1  
Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:04 pm
@Climacus,
Climacus;84816 wrote:

Hi there Climacus,

Thanks for your post.

I have been part of many book clubs, and I have noticed that everyone seems to have their own personal viewpoint about the meaning that they find in different novels. Very often I will find a pile of what I consider extraordinary ideas and my fellow book club members see nothing. Why this is so, I am not sure. Maybe part of it is life experience. Maybe part of it is learning to look at the other person's viewpoint as opposed to one's own.

For example, I love Steve Martin's unique perspective of life. Others may find it ridiculous. What I have noticed is that over time, I have learned to broaden my taste by tasting more.

Thanks again for your post. Interesting subject.

Rich
jgweed

1  
Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:14 pm
@Climacus,
Do we not , before casting about for a representative book, have to have an understanding of what the definition of the current generation actually is? If so, then it might be some time before we can look backwards, stand apart from it, and then find the themes of this particular generation, if indeed there are any.

Aedes

1  
Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 09:06 pm
@Climacus,
Many recent novels have had the irony, humor, and fantastical element of postmodernism, but without being rip-roaringly critical of society. My favorite such author is Haruki Murakami. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle (1997) and Kafka on the Shore (2005) are great examples.

Victor Eremita

1  
Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:54 am
@Climacus,
Literature for our generation? "Cafepress.com", "Xlibris.com", "iUniverse.com", "BookSurge.com" and so on so forth...

voice of Logic 700

1  
Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 02:58 pm
@richrf,
I have noticed that now books have become less interesting and meaningful. New books have less good language and I have had to broaden my taste like you. I have read books that are written as 'formula novels'. I have become dissatisfied by reading because of the quality of books. It's either, werewolves or a girl trying to fit into a group of cliquey girls. I read the books that everybody else reads and they don't see how pointless they are.
"What are some current novels that you think may define the first decade of the 21st century. There seem to be many mainstream works written for monetary gain and lacking in a meaning."
All of these books written for young adults and children are for monetary gain. Good books and authors are "dying off". If you know what I mean. Occasionally I will find a book that I love, once I'm done I am Yearning to read more books that mean something and are worth reading.
This is a shout out to authors to write something great, not just a book for money. Give people something to tell future generations: read this book, it is a brilliant classic from early 21st century. In the hopes that they will enjoy it.
cchindiastore

0  
Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 05:18 am
@Climacus,
Anything by Sandra Brown

MikkaBarsotti

1  
Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 02:38 am
@voice of Logic 700,
Agreed 100% I'm really picky on what I enjoy reading and the best books I find are 1990's and prior many I read also happen to be unheard of books not that popular or talked about I've found some of my best reads at a College that tends to always have old books for sale @ .25 a Paperback .50 a hardcover in Massachusetts.

qaguru

1  
Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2017 02:23 am
@Climacus,
Thank you this Literature Book is very nice.