Spengler's "Decline of the West"

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:00 pm
@Aurochs,
Their marriage is a beautiful story. Yeah, I did a little research on them. I have some real affection for them. The last volume I read was the last one they did, I think. The one on Napoleon. I still have not read a few, but there are so many books and not enough time! I'm tackling Hegel at the moment, reading his biography. Bad boy, knocked up a married woman, then married another girl.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:31 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;109684 wrote:
I really like Will Durant as well. I have his massive The Age of Faith (which is an excellent reference for medieval philosophy and theology) and greatly enjoyed his Story of Philosophy. You know that both Will and Ariel lived to around 100 and then died within days of each other? I think they were Angels of Learning.

Both good... The age of faith has a lot of information about a transitional age...It has that story of the Irish monk answering for Charlemagne the question: What separates (literally) a wise man from a fool, and the monk said: A table...
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:55 pm
@Aurochs,
I love that sort of anecdote. Wit is something that cannot be calculated. To experience these characters not just as abstract minds but human beings embedded in their historical reality -- I like the holism of historical reading. Every thing as much in context as possible.
Fido

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:03 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109710 wrote:
I love that sort of anecdote. Wit is something that cannot be calculated. To experience these characters not just as abstract minds but human beings embedded in their historical reality -- I like the holism of historical reading. Every thing as much in context as possible.

I think in Age of faith was also the fact that Ass's dung was used as an aphrodesiac....

As I told you, anything off track is going to earn me a citation... Power is more important to some than knowledge, and they think the path to truth is straight... Well good for them, but I prefer the garden path, or the river walk... And I am not very good at suffering fools in silence...So; you get back on track, and I will go where people really have something to complain about...
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:34 pm
@Aurochs,
At the risk of sounding metaphysical in an age that worships technology, I think all the roads of learning lead home, for all our conceptions are held together by the master-conception of totality-experience-God-etc. What I'm saying is that I also like the garden path. I've followed one writer to another. All is nexus. And the finite bits are nodes on this nexus. But those concepts/metaphors, as you well know. And no description is final for the species, however satisfying and practical for the individual.

Spengler himself has this sort of unifying vision. He sees all of a culture in relation to its Spirit. From Math to the burial of the dead.

I think I will make a thread for the garden path....a thread for a discussion of favorite writers...
0 Replies

Aurochs

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:11 am
@Aurochs,
Have finally got round to reading this. I did get the abridged version in the end, and so far it seems to read quite satisfactorily. I wonder if the abridgment is due to Spengler's elegant yet loquacious style of prose? Very beautifully written, and so far fascinating I might add, yet I think that if ever there was a need even this abridgment could be abridged. I cannot compare it to the original, but so far it is reading like a complete and holistic philosophy, and I don't feel there is anything lacking.

So far as this work being discredited, it would seem that this can be no more discredited than Plato or Leibniz in my humble opinion.
Fido

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:18 am
@Aurochs,
Aurochs;110147 wrote:
Have finally got round to reading this. I did get the abridged version in the end, and so far it seems to read quite satisfactorily. I wonder if the abridgment is due to Spengler's elegant yet loquacious style of prose? Very beautifully written, and so far fascinating I might add, yet I think that if ever there was a need even this abridgment could be abridged. I cannot compare it to the original, but so far it is reading like a complete and holistic philosophy, and I don't feel there is anything lacking.

So far as this work being discredited, it would seem that this can be no more discredited than Plato or Leibniz in my humble opinion.

You do know that Liebniz, though a very rational man, was also the original Pangloss... He was literally the model... Those people disgraced themselves... Who wants to beat a dead philosopher...Ten cents a wack...For a little price can be purchaced a great waste of time...
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:25 pm
@Aurochs,
Aurochs:
I was just rereading Spengler last night. The golden passages are scattered throughout the book. I thought about putting some quotes on here, but it didn't seem right. I feel that a person has to wade around in the text and absorb his perspective.
I'm glad you're digging it.

Fido:
Pangloss! I love Candide. Our dear Leibniz (no doubt at least a mathematical genius) crept in for a visit or two with Spinoza, though publically denouncing him. Of course he had good reasons. Spinoza was the anti-Christ!
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:45 pm
@Aurochs,
Here's another title for the ever-growing list:

The Courtier and the Heretic: Liebniz, Spinoza and the Fate of God in the Modern World, Matthew Stewart.

Quote:
According to Nietzsche, "Every great philosophy is... a personal confession of its creator and a kind of involuntary and unperceived memoir.". Stewart affirms this maxim in his colorful reinterpretation of the lives and works of 17th-century philosophers Spinoza and Leibniz. In November 1676, the foppish courtier Leibniz, "the ultimate insider... an orthodox Lutheran from conservative Germany," journeyed to The Hague to visit the self-sufficient, freethinking Spinoza, "a double exile... an apostate Jew from licentious Holland." A prodigious polymath, Leibniz understood Spinoza's insight that "science was in the process of rendering the God of revelation obsolete; that it had already undermined the special place of the human individual in nature." Spinoza embraced this new world. Seeing the orthodox God as a "prop for theocratic tyranny," he articulated the basic theory for the modern secular state. Leibniz, on the other hand, spent the rest of his life championing God and theocracy like a defense lawyer defending a client he knows is guilty. He elaborated a metaphysics that was, at bottom, a reaction to Spinoza and collapses into Spinozism, as Stewart deftly shows. For Stewart, Leibniz's reaction to Spinoza and modernity set the tone for "the dominant form of modern philosophy"-a category that includes Kant, Hegel, Bergson, Heidegger and "the whole 'postmodern' project of deconstructing the phallogocentric tradition of western thought." Readers of philosophy may find much to disagree with in these arguments, but Stewart's wit and profluent prose make this book a fascinating read.

One of the better book I read in 08.
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:49 pm
@jeeprs,
I've read that book.. I agree, a good book. While I do respect Spinoza, both Nietzsche and Hegel speak well of his weaknesses. And both are also quite influenced by him. Spinoza's ethics are not so far from Nietzsche, and Hegel's system can be described as a Dynamic Spinozism -- one that addresses more successfully the Christian heritage of the free historical individual. If Spinoza made Judaism rational, then Hegel did the same with Christianity. But that's a tall statement, an hyperbole that hints.

Excellent quote, too, Jeeprs.
Aurochs

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:56 am
@Fido,
Fido;110201 wrote:
You do know that Liebniz, though a very rational man, was also the original Pangloss... He was literally the model... Those people disgraced themselves... Who wants to beat a dead philosopher...Ten cents a wack...For a little price can be purchaced a great waste of time...

Yes, but any man can be satirized (catch syphilis and be hanged!), whether they be a great man or not. This does not make their philosophy any more 'false', however. Philosophy has no intrinsic value - it is only man who decides which philosophy or thought has more value than another. Surely any metaphysical (and metahistorical) system cannot, due to its very nature, be proved or disproved.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 06:44 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;110298 wrote:
I've read that book.. I agree, a good book. While I do respect Spinoza, both Nietzsche and Hegel speak well of his weaknesses. And both are also quite influenced by him. Spinoza's ethics are not so far from Nietzsche, and Hegel's system can be described as a Dynamic Spinozism -- one that addresses more successfully the Christian heritage of the free historical individual. If Spinoza made Judaism rational, then Hegel did the same with Christianity. But that's a tall statement, an hyperbole that hints.

Excellent quote, too, Jeeprs.

I have read a lot of Marx, and little of Hegel... I know the legal individual is a creation of the Catholic Church...Does Hegel give a history of this invention, and the philosophy behind it???I know that Nietzsche railed at St. Paul for his contribution to the individual, and also to individual equality...Understanding the relationship between Western Law, and Roman law under the influence, and near total control of the church, I can say that the concept of the individual was part and parcel of it, and that German tribal law would never have been broken down without the united force of the church behind the individual...The details and philosophy for the most part escape me, but I do think a history of the individual and the aguments in favor of the indivdual would be great...

---------- Post added 12-14-2009 at 07:48 AM ----------

Aurochs;111170 wrote:
Yes, but any man can be satirized (catch syphilis and be hanged!), whether they be a great man or not. This does not make their philosophy any more 'false', however. Philosophy has no intrinsic value - it is only man who decides which philosophy or thought has more value than another. Surely any metaphysical (and metahistorical) system cannot, due to its very nature, be proved or disproved.

Philosophy has no intrisic value if life has no intrinsic value...It is not only essential to my life, but to human life...If every philosophy book, professor, and pimp were gone today we would still have philosophy... Philosophy only tries to bring order to what has often been a disordered pursuit...We must accurately conceive of our world to adapt to it... Just because most philosophers are not doing it does not mean it is not their job....
Aurochs

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:30 am
@Fido,
Fido;111197 wrote:
Philosophy has no intrisic value if life has no intrinsic value...

Life indeed does have no value, in and of itself. Nothing does.

Man ascibes value to it. But I think we are off topic now. :perplexed:
Fido

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 10:41 am
@Aurochs,
Aurochs;111208 wrote:

In case you are suicidal, I will not try to tell you to find some value without life... In fact, we find all value- which is meaning, through life, and really cannot show meaning outside of life...Life is the value of values..Life is all meaning...
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:12 pm
@Fido,
Fido;111197 wrote:
I have read a lot of Marx, and little of Hegel... I know the legal individual is a creation of the Catholic Church...Does Hegel give a history of this invention, and the philosophy behind it???I know that Nietzsche railed at St. Paul for his contribution to the individual, and also to individual equality...Understanding the relationship between Western Law, and Roman law under the influence, and near total control of the church, I can say that the concept of the individual was part and parcel of it, and that German tribal law would never have been broken down without the united force of the church behind the individual...The details and philosophy for the most part escape me, but I do think a history of the individual and the aguments in favor of the indivdual would be great...

Yes, Hegel examines the creation of the free historic individual. Kojeve's book examines this aspect with clarity and focus. Hegel/Kojeve conceives of history as driven by the fight for recognition. The master/slave dialectic.
In pre-Christian states, man had social value to the degree that he was willing to risk his life for the prestige of the nation. This risk of life is the only proof of the transcendence of the animal. Man must put his given-being on the line for prestige, the desire for recognition -- that which divides us from animals. Now I'm not saying I 100% agree with Hegel/Kojeve. In fact, I don't. But much of it is eye-opening. The legal individual of the Roman/Christian state is a new creation where man has value in himself, not only as part of the state. Greek tragedy is full of collisions of the personal and political. Antigone for instance. She disobeys the king to obey the unwritten or sacred law that the dead should be buried. Hegel thought Christianity was the absolute religion. But he thought the afterlife must be rejected, that anthropology should replace theology. For him, the perfect state would finally transcend the master/slave dialectic, and thus end history in the sense of history as progression of this dialectic. He also saw himself as a descriptive philosopher. His own method is not dialectical, but rather the description of history which is dialectical. This is why the owl of Minerva only appears at dusk. For Hegel, Napoleon was the bringer of the ideal state. Not that his state was actually perfect but that its essence was perfect. But Hegel thought that German philosophy would complete French politics by making it all conceptually explicit. The book is on googlebooks. Good stuff. Here's a short interpretation of it.
History and Desire in Kojeve
Fido

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:52 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;111337 wrote:
Yes, Hegel examines the creation of the free historic individual. Kojeve's book examines this aspect with clarity and focus. Hegel/Kojeve conceives of history as driven by the fight for recognition. The master/slave dialectic.
In pre-Christian states, man had social value to the degree that he was willing to risk his life for the prestige of the nation. This risk of life is the only proof of the transcendence of the animal. Man must put his given-being on the line for prestige, the desire for recognition -- that which divides us from animals. Now I'm not saying I 100% agree with Hegel/Kojeve. In fact, I don't. But much of it is eye-opening. The legal individual of the Roman/Christian state is a new creation where man has value in himself, not only as part of the state. Greek tragedy is full of collisions of the personal and political. Antigone for instance. She disobeys the king to obey the unwritten or sacred law that the dead should be buried. Hegel thought Christianity was the absolute religion. But he thought the afterlife must be rejected, that anthropology should replace theology. For him, the perfect state would finally transcend the master/slave dialectic, and thus end history in the sense of history as progression of this dialectic. He also saw himself as a descriptive philosopher. His own method is not dialectical, but rather the description of history which is dialectical. This is why the owl of Minerva only appears at dusk. For Hegel, Napoleon was the bringer of the ideal state. Not that his state was actually perfect but that its essence was perfect. But Hegel thought that German philosophy would complete French politics by making it all conceptually explicit. The book is on googlebooks. Good stuff. Here's a short interpretation of it.
History and Desire in Kojeve

A quick note to which I may add...History as conceived of by Marx was the stroy of the class struggle... True enough perhaps, but pre history is a form of history, and progress went on apace before writing...Master slave relationships are a recent part of history...That stage is one of no progress... Cheap labor is always expended without thought...One own labor demands thought, and the larger the task the greater thought is demanded...Neither brutes nor masters innovate... What did the Romans do except master warfare....Their engineering feats were built on little science and much labor...Look even at our American South...There was a land of little education and little advancement...If you can believe The Capital, no one could trust the slaves with a good plough or a horse, because both would be ruined by them... In another anacdote he tells of a machine that could sweep any chimney which sat idle because children were so cheap as sweeps... Consider that those people suffered carcinogens in the creosolt, and irritation in the spanish bowline which was their boatwain's chair, and these children died of testicular cancer in droves...Their lives were so cheap as to be meaningless... So; without some over whelming evidence, the master slave dielectic could not possibly drive history...Just as with the Romans, Thieves defending their spoils from thieves has been the greatest driver...War and the threat of war has fueled every advance in technology...
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:11 pm
@Aurochs,
Aurochs;111208 wrote:

Not at all. Not having read Spengler I would hazard a guess that he would atttribute the 'decline of the west ' to just such statements as this.

This completely subjectivises morality, and, utimately, any judgement of truth. Everything then becomes a matter of opinion.

Welcome to modernity.

Anyone who has read or is reading Spengler have a comment on whether he would agree with that sentiment?
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:33 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;111355 wrote:
Not at all. Not having read Spengler I would hazard a guess that he would atttribute the 'decline of the west ' to just such statements as this.

This completely subjectivises morality, and, utimately, any judgement of truth. Everything then becomes a matter of opinion.

Welcome to modernity.

Anyone who has read or is reading Spengler have a comment on whether he would agree with that sentiment?

"Pure Civilisation, as a historical process, consists in a progressive taking down of forms that have become inorganic or dead."

"Then a new fact-philosophy appears, which can only spare a smile for metaphysical speculation.."

"The means whereby to identify dead forms is Mathematical law. The means whereby to understand living forms is Analogy."

Spengler thought that all cultures had a life-span in the same way biological organisms do. He saw philosophers like Nietzsche and Schopenhauer as transitional philosophers on the way to pragmatism. This touches Heidegger. Culture is spiritual. Civilization is practical. That's an oversimplification, of course.

Yes, this pragmatism seems to imply the moral relativism you mention. But he doesn't spend much time on it. The Decline of the West is an inevitable decline, in his eyes. All cultures exhaust their creative possibilities at some point. You might say they become fully revealed to themselves. Nothing significant in a spiritual sense remains to be discovered. He thought our Faustian culture ran dry in 19th century.

It should be stressed that Spengler is not the least bit resentful or accusative like Nietzsche. Spengler aims at an almost-godlike detachment. You might call him a biologist of civilization. He appeals to Goethe as a guiding light and as a great philosopher.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 06:28 pm
@Aurochs,
Interesting. I really must get hold of it but the next one on my list is definitly the Cosmological Anthropic Principle, which will probably take a month to read.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:01 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;111359 wrote:
"Pure Civilisation, as a historical process, consists in a progressive taking down of forms that have become inorganic or dead."

"Then a new fact-philosophy appears, which can only spare a smile for metaphysical speculation.."

"The means whereby to identify dead forms is Mathematical law. The means whereby to understand living forms is Analogy."

Spengler thought that all cultures had a life-span in the same way biological organisms do. He saw philosophers like Nietzsche and Schopenhauer as transitional philosophers on the way to pragmatism. This touches Heidegger. Culture is spiritual. Civilization is practical. That's an oversimplification, of course.

Yes, this pragmatism seems to imply the moral relativism you mention. But he doesn't spend much time on it. The Decline of the West is an inevitable decline, in his eyes. All cultures exhaust their creative possibilities at some point. You might say they become fully revealed to themselves. Nothing significant in a spiritual sense remains to be discovered. He thought our Faustian culture ran dry in 19th century.

It should be stressed that Spengler is not the least bit resentful or accusative like Nietzsche. Spengler aims at an almost-godlike detachment. You might call him a biologist of civilization. He appeals to Goethe as a guiding light and as a great philosopher.

It might help if folks realized that Culture is the German word for civilization...Civilizations surely do have a life span...They can turn living forms into dead forms in a hurry...And numbers in the form of statistics do tell the story of their demise...And the dark age following the fall of the Roman's lost a lot of facts, but enough is known to say that the life of Rome sucked the life out of th empire...Populations did not jsut fall; but crashed...People preferred luxury to children...The wealthy moving between glutteny and vomitorium set the pace for all the people...Since the Franks, there never was a specifically European civilization...The Church brought a measure of uniformity to Europe through its laws and language... But only if one thinks of civilization specifically as culture could ours be considered in decline...In fact, out of the rot new growth is sprouting all the time...Considered formally, Our governments giving protection to property and capital are building up wealth as the bleed the people...Just as in Rome, children are considered as a form of slavery rather than of hope... Given a choice, the people choose luxury over indignity, and live for the moment...But only look at our artists, the pan pipers, and you can see there is life enough in this place...