e-mail killing snail mail, killing the human within

FireWalkWithMe

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 04:50 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;76963 wrote:
I don't know... from what I've seen, most people don't even use the spell check, let alone lose 'skill' from it.

Something else: Writing can still become a well-developed art - as well as the craft of using the english language in general - in email. So, I don't think that all's lost, I just like the physicality, the artistry of using the hand to mark on paper and that personal touch.

Sentimentality, perhaps.

Oh, I LOVE skillfully written... beautifully written e-mails. Rarely do I get those, though. Very rarely. But when I read an e-mail written in a kind of literary prose, I sigh. :flowers:
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 07:51 pm
@FireWalkWithMe,
Even before the advent of E-mail, and when there were typewriters and carbon paper and white-out, I generally typed all my letters as a courtesy to my readers who would otherwise have gotten headaches deciphering my handwriting. The transition to E-mail, then, was easy for me, and I would like to think that I can still express my thoughts as well as by hand or typewriter. One of the added advantages to E-mail (besides being cheap), is that you do not have to wait a week for a reply (Chess by mail is now obsolete), and thus the exchange becomes more like a conversation.

If one learns English and reasonably clear writing, and understands some of the guidance provided by rhetoric, does it make a difference whether a letter is hand-written or E-mailed?
0 Replies