Melancholic Music

kidzi

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 09:56 am
I am looking for melancholic, thoughtful, silent, depressing, sad, touching and amazingly beautiful music.. maybe a philosophy forum could be the right place?

What comes to my mind atm would be songs like

YouTube - A coral room (Kate Bush)
YouTube - Antony and the Johnsons - Hope There's Someone
YouTube - Portishead - Roads -
YouTube - Joy Division - Atmosphere

YouTube - Cat Power-Maybe Not

I am sure you can help me out! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,007 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 10:43 am
@kidzi,
You can't beat a good dirge, I find. Here are some of my faves.
YouTube - AUTEURS FEAR OF FLYINGCan't beat a bit of cello for melancholia can you? I think military drums always complement a sad song - due to the obvious associations with massive bereavment.
YouTube - John Cale - HallelujahI personally think Cale trumps Buckley for covering Cohen.
YouTube - Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)I like how this was used in 28 Days Later and sad ads for the NSPCC.
YouTube - Dead Can Dance -The Host Of SeraphimAlso gets used a lot in sad ads.
YouTube - British Sea Power - North Hanging RockUplifting depressing with overtones of death and environmental losses.
GoshisDead

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 12:58 pm
@Dave Allen,
Absolutely anything by the Cowboy Junkies should fit the bill
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 03:21 pm
@GoshisDead,
Cale doesn't come close to Buckley!

If you want melancholy, which is different from depressing, then check out Robert Johnson: Love in Vain, Kind Hearted Woman, Sweet Home Chicago, Malted Milk, Drunken Hearted Man.
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 04:25 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Cale doesn't come close to Buckley!
I must say that, without wanting to get into too impassioned a spat about music, that I have never been able to understand why the Buckley version is so vaunted. I find the Buckley version very slick, but also rather soulless, and the heavy sigh at the start sets me on edge - it all seems so contrived.

Now I realise ALL music is contrived, and that the quest for authenticity so beloved of music journalism and bands who think that 'integrity' is necessary for good music is essentially fake in itself. I don't rationally reckon that there is anything more wholesome about arranging string quartets than standing alone with your telecaster...

However, I just think there's a bit more piss and vinegar to the John Cale version, it's got dirt under its fingernails and hair under its armpits. It's thick oil paint smeared on a rough canvas, as opposed to some fancy airbrushing in photoshop.

Good call on the blooze though, though I think the best blooze is far from melancholy.

YouTube - Black Snake Moan - Blind Lemon Jefferson
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 04:35 pm
@kidzi,
As you know, I'm partial to classical and piano, as well as jazz (words, imo, get in the way of good music!).

For "melancholy", I could list many, but here are just a couple that came to mind..

YouTube - Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches

YouTube - Scott Joplin: Solace; A Mexican Serenade (High Audio; Re-post)
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 04:15 pm
@kidzi,
kidzi wrote:
I am looking for melancholic, thoughtful, silent, depressing, sad, touching and amazingly beautiful music.. maybe a philosophy forum could be the right place?

What comes to my mind atm would be songs like

YouTube - A coral room (Kate Bush)
YouTube - Antony and the Johnsons - Hope There's Someone
YouTube - Portishead - Roads -
YouTube - Joy Division - Atmosphere

YouTube - Cat Power-Maybe Not

I am sure you can help me out! Smile
There was a song i liked many years ago by an artist by the name of Janis Ian.The song was called "At Seventeen". I'll bet you would like that one.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 12:52 am
@Elmud,
Dave Allen wrote:
I must say that, without wanting to get into too impassioned a spat about music, that I have never been able to understand why the Buckley version is so vaunted. I find the Buckley version very slick, but also rather soulless, and the heavy sigh at the start sets me on edge - it all seems so contrived.

Now I realise ALL music is contrived, and that the quest for authenticity so beloved of music journalism and bands who think that 'integrity' is necessary for good music is essentially fake in itself. I don't rationally reckon that there is anything more wholesome about arranging string quartets than standing alone with your telecaster...

However, I just think there's a bit more piss and vinegar to the John Cale version, it's got dirt under its fingernails and hair under its armpits. It's thick oil paint smeared on a rough canvas, as opposed to some fancy airbrushing in photoshop.

No disrespect intended toward Cale or his version of that classic. It's a great version of the tune. He, and in my opinion like Buckley, captured that antique jazz/blues tradition of performing classics in a unique way.

But I do have a few things to say about the Buckley version. First, to compare his recording to "airbrushing in photoshop" is, well, beyond imagination. In the dual biography Dream Brother, the author discusses the recording of Grace and I can assure you that there is nothing 'airbrushy' about the recording.

And I also think we can say that the Buckley version has "dirt under its fingernails"... that's the beauty of the recording, Buckley brings us from sweet and slick to rough and emotional, and then, just as the roughness reaches a climax, he descends into a cry... a lonesome sound if I've ever heard one.

Hearing Jeff's voice for the first time raises some questions: can he possibly sing that well? Truly? I think the live album, Mystery White Boy, proves without a doubt that, not only can he sing as well as he did on Grace, but that he can outperform that record at will. Well, that he could, anyway...

Dave Allen wrote:
Good call on the blooze though, though I think the best blooze is far from melancholy.

It's tough to beat the roots, the place where everything else comes from. But for me, the best blues isn't melancholy or aggressive or jovial - the best blues is all of these things. From Kindhearted Woman to Traveling Riverside Blues.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:03 pm
@kidzi,
I got to see Antony and the Johnsons at the Pabst Theater here in Milwaukee on Friday the 13th of February of this year. Talk about an outstanding show.

As to melancholy music, I recommend Bon Iver, Bright Eyes and its counter part Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, Sigur Ros, and the Postal Service. There are others but those are off the top of my head.
Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:39 pm
@Theaetetus,
YouTube - Apocalyptica - Epilogue (Relief)

YouTube - Apocalyptica - Dreamer

YouTube - Apocalyptica - Beyond Time

YouTube - Lies

YouTube - Apocalyptica - Farewell

YouTube - Apocalyptica:Bittersweet (instrumental version)

YouTube - Apocalyptica - Nothing else Matters

YouTube - MOONLIGHT SONATA (Beethoven)

YouTube - The Hollow Men

YouTube - Apocalyptica - Ruska
Climacus

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 06:27 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Check out David Bazan. His older stuff is under the band name Pedro the Lion.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:18 pm
@kidzi,
I have always found the last movement of Das Leid von der Erde ("der Abschied") very melancholic in its own way, although the end of Mahler's piece reflects a certain resignation and acceptance.
0 Replies

jchai6

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:33 am
@kidzi,
chopin is the master of malancholy
his waltzes, mazurkas and nocturnes are the epitome of melancholy in my opinion.
0 Replies

Catchabula

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:06 pm
@kidzi,
The saddest among the saddest is of course the cello-solo. The sarabandes in Bach cello-suites are devastating:

YouTube - Bach - Cello Suite No.2 iv-Sarabande

And how wonderful are the impressionists! A dying lily on the piano, the twilight hour in early fall, the old standing clock, thicking, thicking..

YouTube - Gieseking plays Debussy "Pour le piano" - No 2. Sarabande

But melancholy is at its deepest in the lamento's and madrigals of the renaissance. Oh let us cry for the brevity of life. What else is man but a leave in the wind?

YouTube - Lassus - Miserere mei

When I listen to Renaissance music I remember where I have lived before. I once -during my soul's voyage through Eternity- was born in Bruges in 1507 in a wealthy family of cloth merchants. In the spring of 1522 I went on foot over the Alps to Italy, to the universities of Bologna and Ferrara, to follow the lessons of my compatriote Van Wesele (Andreas Vesalius). Passing through Burgundy I slept in the hay of an old barn and I saw in the eyes of a girl, eyes that were brighter than the stars, and I carried that memory through live and through all lives to come. In the winter of 1575 I sat in my chair by the fire in Bruges while the snow covered the steep rooftops and I remembered these eyes. Yet I never knew her name.

YouTube - o occhi manza mia

Is this music joyful? Tell me, wise men, is there ever joy without a tear? Isn't fleeting time the salt in the bread of life? What a theme!
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:19 pm
@kidzi,
Love this song. I actually heard it live once, performed by Leornad Cohen. But I prefer this version.
YouTube - "Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright (Irish performance)
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:56 pm
@Lily,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RJWI1MEkiE
0 Replies

mike90t09

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@kidzi,
Check out the Smashing Pumpkins. They have a lot of sad, meaningful, touching music.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
@mike90t09,
sometime sun

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:58 pm
@GoshisDead,
YouTube - Wish You Were Here

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 12:09 AM ----------

YouTube - Wagon Wheel -- Old Crow Medicine Show

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac - Songbird (with lyrics)

YouTube - James Taylor - Carolina In My Mind

I dont know about yall but i find these melancholic
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 05:08 am
@kidzi,
YouTube - Landberk - I Nattens Timma
YouTube - Van Der Graaf Generator - Refugees
YouTube - Caravan - Winter Wine
YouTube - Richard and Linda Thompson - The Great Valerio
YouTube - Loudon Wainwright - Career Moves
YouTube - Fast car -Tracy Chapman
YouTube - In A Broken Dream - Python Lee Jackson
YouTube - Joni Mitchell - Rainy Night House & Blue Boy (live in Illinois, July 7, '69) - 5 of 10
YouTube - Happy Rhodes - Many Worlds Are Born Tonight (1998) - 03 - "The Chariot"
YouTube - radiohead - sulk
YouTube - The Pentangle - A Maid That's Deep in Love
YouTube - Marc Almond - Tears Run Rings
YouTube - Kiki Dee Amoureuse
YouTube - Tasmin Archer - Sleeping Satellite
YouTube - Duncan Browne - Journey
YouTube - Cat Stevens - Father and Son Original
YouTube - Madness - Michael Caine
YouTube - Supertramp "Supertramp" 4/10 - Words Unspoken
YouTube - Steeleye Span - Lovely on the Water
YouTube - David Bowie Bewlay Brothers
YouTube - Roy Harper - Me And My Woman (part 1)
YouTube - Toy Matinee - There was a little boy
YouTube - JOAN ARMATRADING WILLOW
YouTube - Phil Ochs - I've Had Her

---------- Post added 03-05-2010 at 11:49 AM ----------

YouTube - Beethoven: String Quartet No.16 op. 135 III. Lento assai Quartetto Italiano
YouTube - Schubert String Quintet in C II Adagio Part 1
0 Replies