Celtic Music

Elmud

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 06:41 am
Anyone ever listened to Celtic women? I heard them once awhile ago on the Public Broadcast station. What I recall, was the excellent violinist and also, the harp music, along with the great vocal skills of these women. I am going to try and get a CD of them, as soon as i get a CD player for my truck. I remember long ago while driving through New Mexico, I picked up an Irish radio station that played this type of music. I loved it. Somewhat haunting, yet, peaceful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,225 • Replies: 17
No top replies

xris

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:57 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Anyone ever listened to Celtic women? I heard them once awhile ago on the Public Broadcast station. What I recall, was the excellent violinist and also, the harp music, along with the great vocal skills of these women. I am going to try and get a CD of them, as soon as i get a CD player for my truck. I remember long ago while driving through New Mexico, I picked up an Irish radio station that played this type of music. I loved it. Somewhat haunting, yet, peaceful.
No i have not but ill keep my ears open..Dublin in the sixties was my kind of heaven, I followed folk music with my Irish friend Bill.He played the guitar and i groaned.The trouble was if he was drunk and someone gave him the mike you had to fight him to get it back.
Caroline

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:47 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:

Yeah i got a cd, some of it is based on celtic stories from the mythology and some of it is based on irish traditional tales. I loved it, it was peaceful and relaxing and like you say haunting. Something different!
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 11:31 am
@Caroline,
My wife is hard into the celtic music, Celtic women is good, if you like that try also All Angels, The Irish Tenors, The Chieftans, and Lorena McKennitt
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:47 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
No i have not but ill keep my ears open..Dublin in the sixties was my kind of heaven, I followed folk music with my Irish friend Bill.He played the guitar and i groaned.The trouble was if he was drunk and someone gave him the mike you had to fight him to get it back.
I have to share this with you Xris. Many years ago, when i was about nineteen or so, my cousins and I played music in a little bar in Phoenix. One night, we were there playing and my cousin Steve was singing. The only ones in the bar were a couple of drunk fellows who were a bit cantankerous. During a pause, one of those fellows asked my cousin if he took requests. Steve said, well, yes. The drunken fellow then asked if he could sing, "far away". Steve looks up in the air and begins to hum the words "far away". The drunks busted out laughing.
Poor Ole steve didn't pick up on it. Later on that evening, the ole drunks asked Steve how long it would be until the next set. He said, oh, about a half hour or so. The drunk said, good. that will give me time for another drink and I can get the **** outa here.
xris

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 04:05 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I have to share this with you Xris. Many years ago, when i was about nineteen or so, my cousins and I played music in a little bar in Phoenix. One night, we were there playing and my cousin Steve was singing. The only ones in the bar were a couple of drunk fellows who were a bit cantankerous. During a pause, one of those fellows asked my cousin if he took requests. Steve said, well, yes. The drunken fellow then asked if he could sing, "far away". Steve looks up in the air and begins to hum the words "far away". The drunks busted out laughing.
Poor Ole steve didn't pick up on it. Later on that evening, the ole drunks asked Steve how long it would be until the next set. He said, oh, about a half hour or so. The drunk said, good. that will give me time for another drink and I can get the **** outa here.
Magic..Karioki, i get claps and cheers of sympathy.Me and my mate do "lonesome trail" by constant request because we are so bad..
Elmud

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 04:14 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Magic..Karioki, i get claps and cheers of sympathy.Me and my mate do "lonesome trail" by constant request because we are so bad..
Hey. At least you try. I was so paranoid performing in front of others that I use to hide behind the big amplifier. My singing is pretty bad too. I wish not to share it with others.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:48 pm
@Elmud,
Kereoke is something to be watched, not practiced. Ugh, they'll never drag me on stage for it.
Catchabula

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:32 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Hey, just discovered this thread Smile. As a huge lover of folk I'm also crazy about celtic music. Some said there's a Celtic Revival going on in Europe, and that's pretty clear from the success of Alan Stivell in Bretagne. Bretagne is the "nose" of France and it is a country full of magic comparable to Xris' habitat, Cornwall. Personally I think Stivell ROCKS, and that shows pretty well in the following clip. Two remarkable things:
-The bardish harp on the stage, symbol of Bretagne but also Stivell's "guitar",
-The guys in the background waving the flag of "Breiz", independant Bretagne. It's not the ETA but it is a separatist movement.
One more thing: Stivell does not sing in french (don't insult the man). This is a song in the old language of Bretagne, related with celtic. Hope you'll enjoy Smile .

YouTube - Stivell, Tri Yann, Dan Ar Braz, Servat, Armens: Tri Martolod
xris

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 04:04 am
@Catchabula,
Thanks Catch im out there next month.Its not a dead language, like Cornish, you hear it all the time in bars.A week of good food,company and red wine.
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:23 pm
@Elmud,
Definitely one of the best known Celtic-inspired singers would be Enya. She's brilliant in her own right and her songs are complex enough to appreciate over and over again. Here is one of my favorites.

Athair Ar Neamh

YouTube - Enya - Athair Ar Neamh

Another good singer is Lisa Gerrard. She does a variety of songs in ancient languages. You may recognize her from the ending song on Gladiator. Fantastic song as well.

An Hini A Garan

YouTube - Denez Prigent and Lisa Gerrard - An Hini A Garan

She also did this phenomenal Persian love song

View My Video
xris

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 04:12 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Sorry but i dont like Enya it sounds too contrived and over atmospheric.I did at first but its almost written to a script or formula but i can understand the attraction. Thanks Xris
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 07:48 am
@Elmud,
I definitely think that Enya sounds a little scripted as well, but what song isn't. Whats great about Enya is that she has made (and is still making) a very serious attempt to bring Celtic music into the main stream and garner public interest in a type of music which is essentially dying. Props to that. In a way, Enya does what most philosophers should do, which is put a level of practicability in thier work. Application is key to the survival of Celtic music, otherwise you just get music on life support, and celtic music certainly does not deserve that. Enya does it well I think. Unfortunately, people like Lisa Gerrard who tend to maintain a purist approach, dont get as much attention for thier music, but as soon as they put a popular spin on it (like the gladiator ending song) it explodes, if only for a short time.
xris

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 08:16 am
@VideCorSpoon,
The trouble is I just dont like it whatever the cause.As i said i used to but it became much of muchness.Give me a fiddle any day.
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:26 am
@Elmud,
I'm not very interested in Enya either, I've moved on to other things. But I still maintain a level of appreciation for it even though I have moved on. The music doesnt loose any of its merit despite the fact that I get tired of it... it is still good music in itself. But if it were the case... wouldnt that be the fate of your fiddle as well?
xris

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 03:24 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;70337 wrote:
I'm not very interested in Enya either, I've moved on to other things. But I still maintain a level of appreciation for it even though I have moved on. The music doesnt loose any of its merit despite the fact that I get tired of it... it is still good music in itself. But if it were the case... wouldnt that be the fate of your fiddle as well?
But you can play a new tune on an old fiddle.:bigsmile:gotcha.....
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 08:57 am
@Elmud,
And an old tune on a new fiddle? Problem is, I'm more of a violin fan myself. And you what they say about the differences between a violin and a fiddle... the violin can be tuned. A little bit of bow-string smack talk for ya about the same thing.
0 Replies

William

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 08:59 pm
@Elmud,
I find it hard to believe any one can "not like" this sound. Here are my favorite selections from "Celtic Woman" and one from "Enya". Haley Westenra, in my opinion is one of the best and most perfect female voices that I have ever heard. Lisa Kelly (the voice) it not far behind. Enjoy.

William

YouTube - Celtic Woman - the Voice

YouTube - Celtic Woman - Orinoco Flow

YouTube - Celtic Woman - Scarborough Fair

YouTube - Adiemus
0 Replies