Great Guitarists.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:49 pm
@Elmud,
Brilliant guitarist. Last I heard the Cate Brothers were disbanded, but I know Earl still plays quite a bit.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 11:05 pm
@Elmud,
Well this isn't a guitarist, but instead Max ZT playing the hammered dulcimer. Nothing like a little progressive rock played on a nontraditional rock instrument.

YouTube - New Sugar
0 Replies

Robert phil

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:10 pm
@Elmud,
How about Baden Powell doing a frenetic version of his Samba Triste?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqsuGu2FM8
IntoTheLight

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:33 pm
@Robert phil,
One of my all-time favorites:

[CENTER]One Big Rush - Joe Satriani

Studio Version[/CENTER]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEgQM-RpY_E

[CENTER]Live footage version[/CENTER]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDiXVYcGsFw
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:22 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;59113 wrote:
What ever happened to Leo Kottke. Well, that was years ago. don't know if you all remember him.

Yeah I remember him. I never owned an album but a friend did and I listened to it for a long time at his place. Great 12-string player and I recall a description of his voice as like 'goose farts on a foggy morning' or something like that.
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 03:32 pm
@Elmud,
I'm enjoying this thread immensely, learning about players I'd never heard before, and my husband Samm (a guitar player himself) has been mesmerized. Yet remains one question... Where are the Aussies in this forum?! "The One" whom both Eric Clapton and Chet Atkins proclaimed "the best" walketh amongst yew, yet ye proclaim him not?

Three vids showing three sides of Tommy Emmanuel.

FIRST, mainstream light popular: DayTripper/Lady Madonna medley -- And you say, "Hey, this guy's pretty good."

YouTube - Tommy Emmanuel - Day Tripper / Lady Madonna

SECOND, one guitar serving as both guitar and percussion section: Mombasa -- nice rhythmic guitar piece until around 3:33 when he turns his guitar into an amazing African drumming and percussion section. And you say, "WHOA!"

YouTube - Tommy Emmanuel - Mombasa & Percussion Solo

THIRD: How to present a popular slow song: Imagine -- And you end up saying, "Nice touch."

Hope you enjoy Tommy Emmanuel as much as I've enjoyed some of the other videos in this thread.

rebecca
YouTube - Tommy Emmanuel - Imagine
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 04:15 pm
@melonkali,
melonkali, I am mesmerized. Never seen anything like this guy.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 05:42 pm
@Elmud,
Tommy Emmanuel is great - one of the few aussie instrumentalists to have really knocked out Nashville. His brother Phil is no slouch either. Tommy used to turn up as a stand-in or session player in Sydney in the 80's, play any song in any style and generally blow everyone away. He and his brother started their stage career aged about 4. Great player, really one of the best anywhere. He has been quiet the last few years, I think I heard he has a heart murmur.
Leonard

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:30 pm
@jeeprs,
Mark Knopfler is an excellent guitarist, so powerful that it's as if the devil endowed him with musical talent. Sultans of Swing in particular never gets old.
YouTube - Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
0 Replies

mike90t09

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 01:36 pm
@Elmud,
Dave Mustaine is an awesome guitarist Very Happy
0 Replies