Ola

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:42 am
I'm reading the Dune story for the first time.
I'm halfway thru the first book.
Not the greatest writing I've come across but the story is addictive.

Has anyone here read all the books? - What did you think?
No spoilers - thanx.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,036 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Bones-O

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:27 pm
@Ola,
I read all those written by Herbert when I was a kid. The second one I liked a lot... the rest go downhill quickly so if you start to lose interest by the third, down expect them to get any better.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:53 pm
@Ola,
All I know is that the movie was appalling.

The book would probably seem excellent in comparison.
thysin

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 01:03 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
I agree that after book two the quality degenerates but they are still worth a read because they give you more insight into the universe he created. I gained a much better understanding of the first book after reading the rest of the series. I think what makes this book so fascinating is the depth he goes into while describing the mental sparring his characters often take part in and his mastery of subtilties. To sum it up I think Frank Herbert had remarkable insight into the nature of man.

thysin
Ola

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:39 am
@thysin,
thysin wrote:
I agree that after book two the quality degenerates but they are still worth a read because they give you more insight into the universe he created. I gained a much better understanding of the first book after reading the rest of the series. I think what makes this book so fascinating is the depth he goes into while describing the mental sparring his characters often take part in and his mastery of subtilties. To sum it up I think Frank Herbert had remarkable insight into the nature of man.

thysin

I have tried to figure out what true power really is. It has much to do with intelligence, social- and linguistic capital - "the depth he goes into while describing the mental sparring his characters often take part in and his mastery of subtilties." - so I couldn't agree more.
0 Replies

Maud Dib

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 03:44 pm
@Ola,
im a huge fan of the Dune series. they are possibly some of the most insightful books in Sci Fi. true enough that the story does become somewhat stupid after the second but as far as the philosophy behind them, he is a genius when it comes to the human condition
Deckard

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:25 am
@Maud Dib,
Maud' Dib;162512 wrote:
im a huge fan of the Dune series. they are possibly some of the most insightful books in Sci Fi. true enough that the story does become somewhat stupid after the second but as far as the philosophy behind them, he is a genius when it comes to the human condition

Dune is the some great stuff. I prefer Phillip K. Dick. Great handle by the way.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:30 am
@Deckard,
The Sci-Fi channel did a mini-series of the first book that was not horrible. the movie with Sting was built to be spectacle not to tell the story and thus is ended up trash, classic trash for those who never read the book, but trash none the less.
0 Replies