Orson Scott Card's "Ender" series

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 05:33 pm
Just finished up the last book and thought it was an excellent story..

The first book Enders Game was good it its own right. Although after reading the second book Speaker of the Dead I quickly got the feeling that Enders game has no purpose other than to set the stage for the real story, beginning in the second book. The Speaker of the Dead was one of the better stories i had read in some time. It managed to provide a page turning mystery while bringing up some heavy topics dealing with humanity. The last two books may as well have been one, but i assume it was split for publishing reasons. Xenocide and the Children of the Mind were also very good but were much less plot driven than the previous two stories. The delve into long philosophical topics with rather well balanced arguments.

If you read Enders Game and like it for the suspenseful battle scenes and the plot of the underdog rising to the top; you should stop reading there and be content. The next three books twist into a story of what defines humanity and later on self concept.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,333 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ammonsa

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:21 am
@Mykael Deschain,
Mykael_Deschain wrote:
Just finished up the last book and thought it was an excellent story..

The first book Enders Game was good it its own right. Although after reading the second book Speaker of the Dead I quickly got the feeling that Enders game has no purpose other than to set the stage for the real story, beginning in the second book.

You know, thats exactly what Orson Scott Card said himself about them.

Yeah I really enjoyed this series, I read it about a year ago.

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 04:20 pm
@Ammonsa,
It is a magnificent series of books. Unlike a lot of scince fiction, it manages to focus on the human level of events, and yet connects and intertwines this with the great sweep of events. All of the inventions and mechanics of the fictional universe, provide the stage for fascinating emotional situations, while the charachters, and their connection to one another, at the same time seem to set the stage for the events at an 'historical' level. It is a masterful work, and makes full use of all the freedom and potential that a fictional universe has for fascinating human situations. It is a pity that this is such an underdevoloped ascpect of the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but this is perhaps because it is very difficult to pull off. Orson Scott Card did though.
Mykael Deschain

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:19 pm
@avatar6v7,
Yea, I'm slowly falling in love with Card's writing...

I'm waist deep in the Alvin Maker series (which is great as well and will review after i finish) and cant say that I've found storytelling quite like his before.
vTruth

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:55 pm
@Mykael Deschain,
The Ender series is a Classic by all means. Enders Game was an astonishing read. Orson scott Cards Character development was incredible. I am very impressed by Orsons ability to follow up Enders Game in such a Fascinating way. I look forward to reading the rest of the series soon.
0 Replies