Peter Singer's Practical Ethics

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 11:07 am
Practical Ethics by Peter Singer
ISBN-10:
052143971X
ISBN-13:
978-0521439718

Overview

Peter Singer's Practical Ethics has been the subject of significant discussion and controversy since its publication in 1979. The book provides an introduction to Peter Singer's preference utilitarianism, in a very clear & understandable way. The book covers significant ground with chapters covering a wide range of issues including the moral status of animals, abortion, euthanasia & the treatment of refugee's.

Positives

-Peter Singer's written style is to be commended, with Singer providing an account of his ethics in a clear, concise and engaging way.
-Covers a wide range of issues in good detail including many hot topics of ethical debate.
-Though often not in agreement with Singer, I found the book to be a refreshing read and presented me with some significant challenge to my outlook on certain moral issues.
-The influence and controversy caused by Singer's work, makes this a must read for all those with an interest in the field of Applied Ethics.

Negatives

-If you are looking for an unbiased introduction into the field of Applied Ethics this is probably not the book for you. With other alternatives probably being more suitable.

Other Reviews

From a review of the first edition 'Singer's book is packed with admirably marshalled and detailed information, social, medical, and economic, and has a splendid appendix of notes and references to further reading. The utility of this utilitarian's book to students of its subject can hardly be exaggerated.'- New York Review of Books

'Peter Singer has provided us with a good example of the fruits of a major and by now established extension of philosophical interest. He succeeds in being straightforward, clear, and forceful without oversimplifying the technical aspects of the problems he discusses or trivialising the underlying philosophical issues.' The Times Higher Education Supplement

Overall rating - 9/10 - A must read for those interested in ethics
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,952 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Emil

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:01 pm
@RDanneskjld,
Quote:
Overall rating - 9/10 - A must read for those interested in ethics

I don't know about that. What is someone has an interest in primarily meta-ethics? Don't you consider that a part of ethics? Maybe not. I don't think Singer's book is particularly relevant from a meta-ethical perspective, is it? I haven't read it but I've attended an ethics class with the book as the subject.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 03:55 pm
@Emil,
Emil;109845 wrote:
I don't know about that. What is someone has an interest in primarily meta-ethics? Don't you consider that a part of ethics? Maybe not. I don't think Singer's book is particularly relevant from a meta-ethical perspective, is it? I haven't read it but I've attended an ethics class with the book as the subject.

How did you get away without reading it? (Although, I don't blame you for not doing so). What is called practical ethics puts me to sleep. And Singer is one of the most soporific.
0 Replies