Wittgenstein's Poker by David Edmonds and John Eidnow

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 01:00 pm
Wittgenstein's Poker: The Story of a Ten Minute Argument Between Two Great Philosophers

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312AV0JNXVL._SS500_.jpg
Overview
Wittgenstein's Poker by David Edmonds & John Eidnow chronicles the infamous ten minute debate which took place at the Cambridge University Moral Science Club on the 25th of October 1946 between two icons of twentieth century Philosophy, Karl Popper & Ludwig Wittgenstein. As well as trying to get to the truth of what happen on that fateful evening at 8:30pm, the book provides a mini biography of both Popper & Wittgenstein both before and after the rather dramatic clash at Cambridge University Moral Science Club. The book also explores the different Philosophical positions which lead to the eventful clash of two powerful minds & personalitys.

Positives
- This critically aclaimed book deserves it's prasie as it is an
especially entertaining read, telling the story of the encounter wonderfully.

- The book is very well researched having
received praise from some of the foremost Wittgenstein scholars, including Ray Monk who wrote the critically acclaimed biography of Wittgenstein's life. 'Edmonds and Eidinow have probably got as close to the truth about exactly what happened when Popper met Wittgenstein as anyone will ever get.' - Ray Monk, Literary Review

- This book is very readable for those who are not versed in the Philosophy of Wittgenstein & Popper, but at the same time provides an accurate account which has not been over
simplified.

Negatives
- Personally I would have liked to see slightly more focus on some of the Philosophical issues in the clash between Popper & Wittgenstein, I felt the book took a slightly to biographical stance.

- I felt that the book was slightly biased in favour of Popper, but that may just be cause of my admiration for Wittgenstein.

- I also felt the book lost some of the explosive fire that had at the start slightly losing its way in the closing chapters but I didnt feel this detracted from the book very much.

Summary's of Other Reviews

-'Those 10 minutes shook the world of Western philosophy literally to its foundations... Edmonds and Eidinow have a very good story to tell, and they tell it wonderfully well.' John Banville, Irish Times

-'A brilliant idea. The authors seem to me to have an extremely good grasp of the philosophical ideas, and a tremendous ability to explain them.' Michael Frayn

Overview - 8.5/10 - A good read

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,569 • Replies: 4
No top replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:58 pm
@RDanneskjld,
I've debated about buying this book almost every time I've been in the bookstore for the last 6 years. I might just have to buy it. Thanks for the review.

Cheers,
Russ
RDanneskjld

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:07 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;82835 wrote:
I've debated about buying this book almost every time I've been in the bookstore for the last 6 years. I might just have to buy it. Thanks for the review.

Cheers,
Russ

I would snap it up if I was you, a lot of editions of the book are out of Print. I was unable to find any first hand copys here in the UK, I had to import my copy from a second hand book dealer in Pittsburgh.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:13 pm
@RDanneskjld,
I definitely enjoyed the book. I can see how it would seem skewed in favor of Popper. The thing is, it was also geared as a biographical narrative, dealing with personalities as much as philosophies, and Wittgenstein was pretty much a prick.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:00 am
@RDanneskjld,
A little more boring than I had hoped. But not a waste of time.
0 Replies