Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty Of Genius by Ray Monk

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 12:44 pm
Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty Of Genius
ISBN 978-0-09-988370-8
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DQp3nsZ3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Overview :
Ray Monk's critically acclaimed and rather lengthy biography of Wittgenstein, which see's Monk intertwine Wittgenstein's life and his Philosophy. Monk is Professor of Philosophy at Southampton University, and takes particular interest in Russell, Wittgenstein and the Philosophy of mathematics. He also wrote the book 'How to Read Wittgenstein'. The book received positive reviews from much of the English press.

Pros :
- Monk goes to great detail to outline Wittgenstein's personal life in what seems to be an accurate and unbiased way.
- Monk brings his considerable knowledge of Philosophy to the table and does a good job of explaining Wittgenstein's Philosophy.
- Wittgenstein had what we can call a somewhat interesting personal and family life.
- You wont feel that you have been short changed, with the Book comprising of 580 pages

Cons :
- Probably not the best place to start if one wanted to become familiar with Wittgenstein's work and some may feel that his work is not covered in enough detail
- May to be long for some with only a casual interest in Wittgenstein

Brief summary of other Review's :
- It is much to be recommended - Observer

-Monk's biography is deeply intelligent generous to the ordinary reader... It is a beautiful portrait of a beautiful life - Guardian

- Monk's energetic enterprise is remarkable for the interleaving of Philosophical and the emotional aspects of Wittgenstein's life - Sunday Times

-This biography tansforms Wittgenstein into a human being - Idependant on Sunday

Rating : 9.5/10- A great read!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,266 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Extra Gravy

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 03:31 pm
@RDanneskjld,
I agree completely, it was a great read. Monk's writing was absorbing. I was wrapped up in the unfolding of an interesting life. I loved this biography.

I read it after reading House of Wittgenstein whose focus is on the whole family, which provided me with a deeper family context for a better understanding of L.W. (as well as just being a good story). Its not necessary reading except for those who are really into L.W. though.

I also recommend the the "How to Read Wittgenstein" book you mentioned - it is well worth the time and money (both modest). I feel like it provided some intellectual context to his works that enabled me to better appreciate them.
0 Replies