Language, Truth and Logic by A.J. Ayer

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 01:01 pm
Language, Truth and Logic by A.J. Ayer
ISBN 978-0-14-118604-7

Overview:
Language, Truth and Logic was the book that is accredited to have launched logical positivism on the English speaking world. With its clarity and rigour set a new standard for Philosophical debate.

Pros:
- Arguably the best English introduction to the School of Logical Positivism
- Ayer does a great job of making a very readable and thought provoking book
- Full revolutionary zeal and anger with a passion

Cons:
- Rather much a young man's work
- Needs to be read with a fair dose of
scepticism
- Ayer's verification principle has come under a lot of critiscism

Highlights:
-Ayers attempt to bring about the Elimination of Metaphysic and his attempt to solve outstanding Philosophical debates
-Ayers critique of ethics and theology also being, rather thought provoking.

Rating
: 8.5 / 10
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,177 • Replies: 4
No top replies

paisleypea

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:42 pm
@RDanneskjld,
thanks, i have been thinking about reading this. it has been recommended to me before, the book came up in my philosophy of religion class in reference to Antony Flew. i think i shall be reading this soon Smile
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:08 am
@RDanneskjld,
I think I have that book; and if I recall found it to be mostly to about linguistic truth, how we can possibly tell the truth...I simply do not buy that language is any but one construct under which truth is an issue... To me it seems much more a fact that truth is life, and can be conceived of in no other fashion rationally. In Life, socially, it is not just language that tells truth, but every concept/form... Government as a form must tell truth...So must math.. It is out of truth that life flows, and falsehood means death... All forms must reflect reality, and in the way of language anything not truth is miscommunication, and a deliberate wrong... As Lincoln said: To state as true what is not known to be true, is false.. When people have reached the point that they cannot trust their institutions, the government, their ministers, or their doctors; then they are in trouble, and the whole society is in trouble... Language and truth are forms of relationship ultimately, and if they do not serve the relationship, they do not serve the people...I got to look for that book...I hated it, and never finished it...
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 10:18 am
@RDanneskjld,
While Ayer softened the notorious positions he took in LTL, many of these are, with some modifications, current today in some philosophical circles. There is a forcefulness about the book that is refreshing, and Ayer states his case for his conclusions with great care.
LTL is a relatively (for philosophy) a short work, and is important enough in contemporary thinking for any serious student to read.
John
Fido

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 03:55 pm
@jgweed,
So, How do you think people manage to tell the truth???Or do they???
0 Replies