The Book of Imagination

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:18 pm
I may have said it before but I need to repeat myself: I just LOVE books, for me they are really "the stuff that dreams are made of". Dreams? But dreams are "unreal" no? Well, that may be an idea. I would like to open a thread on the "imaginary book", the lost book or the book that was never written, the book that readers dream up for themselves, often for many generations. What, dear reader of dreams and dreamer of books, was the book that you would like to see written, while it never was? Or what book that was deemed lost would you like to rediscover on your grandma's attic? Do you dream about the end of the Timaeus, or about the lost drama's of Sophocles? Do you dream about "Hamlet II", "Hamlet III" and "The Son of Hamlet"? Do you dream about the book that you are writing yourself, and that seems to remain a work-in-progress for ever and ever? What unexistent book ought to exist? What lost book should be rediscovered? What author should have lived a 120 years to finish his "magnum opus", while it's a bloody shame he died at 37? If you had the talent of a Dickens, what book would you write? Books and dreams, can they ever be distinguished? Bring me your book-dreams, and let us dream together...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,452 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Catchabula

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:25 pm
@Catchabula,
There's is a nice amusement for booklovers. Take your wordprocessor and make a convincing page -perhaps even the frontpage- of some non-existing book. If you think about it, is there a real difference between a book that was lost except for one single page, and the creation of one single page of a book that was never written? This specific page is actually the result of a dream, the main sentence playing in my head for days after I woke. I added a few words and dreamt another history of the early beginnings of the dutch language.

Oh, and the second one? Rabbi Goldsaltz, being 76 of age, died fast in the gas-chamber of Auschwitz in the autumn of 1944, leaving but one work of major significance. All copies were lost when Burgdorff's SS burned the Synagogue of Prague in the last week of the occupation. Only one copy survived, but it was heavily damaged. It is in a safe place now... in Catcha's head. ;-)
xris

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 09:10 am
@Catchabula,
The setting sun cast long shadows of the trees and me across the forest floor..I know what you mean words can instantly create images no picture can ever interpret.A book hidden, dusty in a forgotten language.Ill have to think about it..
xris

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:41 pm
@xris,
Bare with me if it is not up to your expectations...The Russian soldier stood over my injured body, his face was scarred with months of sickening death and hunger.His humanity was buried deep in his eyes and only showed signs of surfacing when i cried "comrade" in a desperate attempt to save my life.We had both changed beyond recognition to the the young men our mothers had cried and said farewell to only a short time ago.War had been a necessity placed on us by events we could never comprehend.The dead German officer whose remains was covering my legs had in his hands a photo that made the Russian ...
Catchabula

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:14 pm
@xris,
This is a great nightmare Xris, and thanks for your reply. It's a nice piece of work, but it's not my intention to interfere with the Creative Writing section here. Let's assume this piece comes from a book. Who wrote it? What title would you invent? What slogan would you put on the jacket to increase the number of copies sold? Who should be the best director to make a film out of it? Who would be the cast? "The Book of Imagination" is a pleonasm, but it sounded better than the "Imagined book". You get my meanin'? ;-)
paulhanke

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:53 pm
@Catchabula,
http://www.paulhanke.com/for-dummies.jpg
(Sphinxes and Pyramids for Dummies, by Khufu Sneferu)
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:24 am
@Catchabula,
Catchabula wrote:
This is a great nightmare Xris, and thanks for your reply. It's a nice piece of work, but it's not my intention to interfere with the Creative Writing section here. Let's assume this piece comes from a book. Who wrote it? What title would you invent? What slogan would you put on the jacket to increase the number of copies sold? Who should be the best director to make a film out of it? Who would be the cast? "The Book of Imagination" is a pleonasm, but it sounded better than the "Imagined book". You get my meanin'? ;-)
Thats as far as i got..I was visualising Russia after they had entered Germany carrying on into the rest of europe and the consequences..but the title and the author escaped me.."Red Scare" by John Lennon..It was something that my father experienced during ww2 that always made me wonder what the world would be like if they had decided to fight the Allies..
0 Replies