Running & Philosophy

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:10 pm
I just saw a book out entitled "Running & Philosophy: A Marathon for the Mind" or maybe it was Philosophy & Running. Anyway, I'm thinking of reading it and just wondered if anybody else had. On a related note, I'm a distance runner and if anyone is else is I'm always interested in discussing the topic. Maybe we could start a new area of discussion (philosophy & running, or philosophy & exercise). Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,715 • Replies: 5
No top replies

aperro1

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:10 am
@Axis Austin,
I was so excited whenever I found it, I knew I had to have it. It make some really good points about the connection between philosophy and the need to run. :bigsmile:
Axis Austin

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:29 pm
@aperro1,
I received the book as a Christmas gift and am looking forward to reading it. It will be a couple months because I'm in the middle of some other books, but when I read it I'll post my review on here.
0 Replies

logan phil

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 05:21 am
@Axis Austin,
This looks really interesting. Thank-you for sharing Axis Austin. I can't wait to visit my local bookstore and check it out today.
logan phil

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:15 pm
@logan phil,
I purchased the book a couple of weeks ago and have finished most of the articles, and in doing so have put together a short overview of the book for those interested.

Running & Philosophy: A Marathon for the Mind (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture)Long-Distance Running and the Will to Power). Thus on several occasion they had me thinking "Philosophy and Pop Culture. Ah, yes." However, I believe this to be a strength of the collection because it seems to know what it wants to be and delivers its aim well. Therefore, I think that this book will be especially interesting for three types of people. The first are people who are not runners nor mainly philosophers yet may be wanting to better understand the draw to both of these fields/interests--whether this is to enhance their own interest or simply to understand where a friend, family member, or group of people are coming from. The second are runners who are interested in exploring all of those deeper introspections that us runners have all experienced during our own time on the road. The third group are philosophers who are interested in adding more depth and meaning to their hobby and lifestyle. In any of these groups, however, I think that each will walk away with a more insightful and motivating understanding as to why each of us and others run.

This book is not an attempt to be a thorough philosophical analysis of any traditional field of philosophy or philosopher. Rather, it is meant to explore the philosophical nature of running for those who have done either...Philosophize or run.
0 Replies

Axis Austin

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:32 pm
@Axis Austin,
Sounds great. As I've mentioned, I was given the book for Christmas, yet haven't read it yet (I'm currently teaching myself French and reading a collection of short works about peace and justice). But I'm excited to get to it. Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
0 Replies