Chinese Democracy

Joe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 06:16 pm
Well it looks like the new G&R is finally releasing the album in late November. I heard the title track today and all i can say is that if you saw the movie Walk Hard: The Dewie Cox Story, and remember the part where he keeps adding more and more instruments in the recording of a song and he adds a goat at one point, I would have to say it sounds like Axel had a similar moment. So the song sucks but I'm hopeful for one more decent guns and roses track. G&R fan for LIFE!:devilish:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,087 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 02:39 pm
@Joe,
I have to say the song isn't that bad...it just isn't that good either though. I have heard about a half of the songs off of Chinese Democracy and I can say if you like every trend in rock music since Axl released music then it will be up your alley. Just do not expect anything to really sound like anything they have done in the past.

If you think, the song Chinese Democracy sounds like Axl kept adding instruments, wait until you hear Madagascar. You almost expect a choir of barn animals to sing harmonies at any moment. Think of a band of about 100 playing November Rain. Over kill? Of course? Worth the wait? I barely noticed. I guess I lost a lot of interest in modern rock music back in high school. Give me Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, Talking Heads, Mr. Bungle, and the descendants along those lines of music, along with good folk influenced music.

You can hear the title track to Chinese Democracy here:

Guns N' Roses: Home: Guns N' Roses | Chinese Democracy | 11.23.2008
0 Replies

ragasaraswati

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:00 am
@Joe,
I have heard two songs from the new album so far and they are Chinese Democracy and Madagascar. I didn't like the first at first (this sounded funny) because ,as I think of it now, I was expecting much. So although I don't see it becoming a classic and rock stations won't play often after 5 years I can say that it is definitevely a grower. You become to appreciate it after a couple of listens and my main to objections are ,as you pointed out, the overcrowding of guitars and vocals and the guitar tone.

Now for Madagascar I thought the first time that I was listening to early 90's GnR. It's a nice song. In your face rock.

All in all I want to listen to the rest of the album.

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:42 am
@ragasaraswati,
I've listened to the new albulm and I like it alot.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:01 pm
@avatar6v7,
That's not Guns 'n Roses - it's Axl Rose and Friends. Axl is the only original member of the band left. The others are hired guns.

Heck, Velvet Revolver is more GnR than this incarnation of GnR.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:42 pm
@Joe,
I would argue that Axl's new incarnation of the band sounds more like Guns N Roses than does Velvet Revolver. Considering how bad Velvet Revolver's music is, I don't see how the old Guns N Roses could have recorded a better record. Sure, they may be able to play the old songs better, but that is about it.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 06:38 pm
@Theaetetus,
Sure, this new version of GNR sounds more like the original GNR - but that's because Axl hired a bunch of studio musicians who make a living imitating certain sounds. Velvet Revolver is an entirely different band with a different musical direction. Unlike Axl's new crew, VR isn't trying to be GNR.

I say Velvet Revolver is more GNR than this new incarnation because of the line up of the respective bands. Velvet Revolver is ex-GNR members plus a new front man. The official GNR, Axl's new crew, is a bunch of studio musicians with Axl as the frontman.

Velvet Revolver isn't a great band by any means (though Matt Sourm's drumming is, as always, outstanding), but having heard a few of these Chinese Democracy tacks... well, I'd go see VR, but not GNR. And that's sad.
proV

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:02 am
@Didymos Thomas,
If anyone is familiar with the loudness war; Chinese Democracy didn't (!) follow it, The CD is surprisedly very quiet and dynamic compared to CD's from this period: Gateway Mastering (Bob Ludwig is a very famous audiophile mastering engineer)
0 Replies