firewalls, security, system works Q.

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:26 pm
Hi computer savy a2kers, I have another Q for you. We got a free 2 month subscription to Norton Internet Security with the router we installed in September. The subscrip ends in a few days and I'm trying to figure out if we need it. I have Sygate firewall and Norton System Works running on my computer and I know the my 2 housemates' laptops have some sort of firewalls running as well. Do I need the internet security as well? If so, why exactly?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,111 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 08:37 pm
Personally, I'm not a fan of Norton's Internet Security package. Mostly because it just annoys me but if you have a router and have it's firewall features turned on, have Sygate (or some other firewall) running and have any anti-virus software running then you have all the security you are going to reasonably need.

Adding Norton's package doubles what you already have. That tends to slow down your system and has the potential for creating a lot of problems with other apps.

I'd rather see one properly configured app running than 2 or 3 apps running with the default (or just plain wrong) settings.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 08:43 pm
I'm with fishin' on this one. . . Norton has a good antivirus, but I don't like their firewall or their bundled pack. . . frankly, it's a lot of money to pay for what they give you. He's right that you should have all the security you could ever need. . . techtv did a very good set of articles on internet security bundles, firewalls, antivirus software, and the like a couple weeks ago and they weren't too fond of Norton in general. . .

If you're worried about security above and beyond what you've got, they actually favored the freebie software over the subscription suites. . . I haven't quite figured out the full set of rules on link posting quite yet, but they're techtv(.com), if you're interested :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:20 pm
Thanks fishin and Ash(!). It seemed a bit of an over-kill to me. Now to get my system "properly configured".
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:22 pm
tehe. . . that hazy world of proper configuration. . . thank god for my mac. . . I couldn't handle it if anyone were actually writing viruses for my system :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:27 pm
sigh
I got that blaster virus and my system hasn't been the same since. I'm afraid to reinstall by myself.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:30 pm
ahhhh. . . that's a nasty one. I got over 500 blaster emails on my defunct yahoo account (courtesy of that good ole Abuzz mailing list- remember? had to abandon that account).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:33 pm
oh, I haven't even checked into my yahoo acct. I wonder if it still exists.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:34 pm
those things are breeding grounds for viruses. . .
0 Replies

HipsterDoofus

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 05:15 pm
NIS (formerly AtGuard till Norton bought them out) is garbage, really, and the router already is a firewall anyway.

If you want to implement a little security with regard to outgoing traffic (i.e. catch trojans or spyware in the act of phoning home), just use the free version of ZoneAlarm. Set it to minimum security. Even at minimum, ZA still always blocks outgoing traffic from any given program till you say it's ok. So then you have the router blocking incoming, and ZA blocking outgoing, and you're pretty much as set as most any home user needs to be.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 05:20 pm
ANY given program sending outward messages? All of them? How often would I expect to get a window asking permission?
0 Replies

HipsterDoofus

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 05:26 pm
Yes, any program. Don't panic, though. When ZA asks "do you want to aloow <program name> to access the internet?" there is a checkbox that says "remember my answer for this program." So it's not like you have to constantly give permission left and right to various and sundry programs. Smile

The free version (which is really all you need when you have a hardware firewall (the router)), can be found here: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 05:29 pm
Thanks Hipsterdoofus. But but but, won't it interfere with my morrowind playing? Hehehe. I'm kidding. kind of.
0 Replies