any Tool fans here...?

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:57 pm
:weed: Hi everyone..! is there someone that likes Tool...?

If that's the case, what do you like about the band...? :detective:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,278 • Replies: 20
No top replies

OFerrell

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 12:50 am
@Robo phil,
Tool is one of my favorite bands. I heard in a quote supposedly from the guitarist of the band that said "they try to invoke a feeling in someone with their music" indeed i believe they accomplish this. The music invokes a stimulating feeling that causes one to delve into philosophical thoughts, at least for me anyway. The reasoning behind this more than likely lies in the fact of their complex and intricate time signatures.
0 Replies

BaCaRdi

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 05:19 pm
@Robo phil,
Totally a tool fan, 35 years old and still am!

I would say, their layered approach to sound. Also their abilities to change it up right before it gets old. And of course their lyrics how ever so whacked out.

-Marc
Robo wrote:
:weed: Hi everyone..! is there someone that likes Tool...?

If that's the case, what do you like about the band...? :detective:
Aristoddler

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:04 pm
@Robo phil,
I've always liked Maynard's vocals. He's got a pretty powerful tone to his voice when he gets going. Especially in songs like Eulogy: You've claimed all this time that you would die for me...Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy? He's got some amazing writing skills as well, with songs like Stinkfist and Prison Sex, but pretty much anything from Aenima is golden as far as I'm concerned.
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:08 pm
@Aristoddler,
Have to admit..I even like Hooker with a pen1s<--not really... the song...sick fookers:P

Well BaC is sick too..

Well not true...forget about the title...the song more or less saying.

What you see is not always what your getting....
-BaC
Aristoddler wrote:
I've always liked Maynard's vocals. He's got a pretty powerful tone to his voice when he gets going. Especially in songs like Eulogy: You've claimed all this time that you would die for me...Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy? He's got some amazing writing skills as well, with songs like Stinkfist and Prison Sex, but pretty much anything from Aenima is golden as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:08 pm
@Robo phil,
for those browsing the thread who may not know:

"Hooker with a penis" is a song about musicians whoring themselves out to the music industry. It is a metaphor that has nothing to do with sex or hookers in the literal sense.
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:29 pm
@Aristoddler,
Thank you very much for saying that;)

Exactly! Or music creativity either nor;)

A Wolf in sheep's clothing.

-BaC
Aristoddler wrote:
for those browsing the thread who may not know:

"Hooker with a penis" is a song about musicians whoring themselves out to the music industry. It is a metaphor that has nothing to do with sex or hookers in the literal sense.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:46 pm
@BaCaRdi,
BaCaRdi;29909 wrote:
Totally a tool fan, 35 years old and still am!

I would say, their layered approach to sound. Also their abilities to change it up right before it gets old. And of course their lyrics how ever so whacked out.

-Marc

I'll see your 35 years and raise you 11. I'm 46 and I still love 'em. "Sober" is one of my all-time favorite songs. "Arizona Bay" is also brilliant.

I like Perfect Circle as well. Different musical structure, but still great.

Tock.
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:54 pm
@TickTockMan,
Love it! Thank you for that..you make my feel young...eremm oops..Razz

Yeah Perfect Circle, they are good...not my fav..but a great band in their own-right for sure.

I also listen to Classic Rock....Jane's Addiction,Alice in Chains, etc ,etc.lol

-BaC
TickTockMan wrote:
I'll see your 35 years and raise you 11. I'm 46 and I still love 'em. "Sober" is one of my all-time favorite songs. "Arizona Bay" is also brilliant.

Tock.
TickTockMan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:03 pm
@BaCaRdi,
BaCaRdi;30495 wrote:
Love it! Thank you for that..you make my feel young...eremm oops..Razz

Yeah Perfect Circle, they are good...not my fav..but a great band in their own-right for sure.

I also listen to Classic Rock....Jane's Addiction,Alice in Chains, etc ,etc.lol

-BaC

You do know that Perfect Circle is Tool, right?

I've got a weird musical mix. One minute I'm listening to Pink Floyd, Genesis, Jethro Tull, then maybe some Mozart, then I have to listen to some Slayer. Hell, I've even got some Johnny Cash on my iPod... but that's about as close to country as I'll go.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:49 am
@Robo phil,
I somewhat like a lot of their older stuff, although it really isn't my thing. Their newer stuff seems a little contrived, though, like they either are trying too hard or care too little.

Tool has always had the same effect Interpol or Morrissey have on me. It is so purposefully and bludgeoningly morose that extended listening is a very dull and difficult task.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:10 am
@Robo phil,
I used to always say, the only thing I don't like about Tool are Tool fans, but that was more a product of meat/metalhead tool fans. I like how tabla has become an integral part of their sound. Unfortunately, this seems to have led to some songs that kind of sound like new versions of old songs.

If you like Tool and A Perfect Circle, you may also like Puscifer. The band may as well be called Maynard and Friends because that is what the album is. While not as deep or musically challenging as either of his two bands, Maynard shows he can do pop music.

Puscifer - Momma Sed

Puscifer - DoZo

Here is another Puscifer song from a live show. While the song is not on the album, it is kind of funny.

Mod Edited: This video does not belong here.

Aristoddler

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:20 am
@Robo phil,
Perfect Circle is Maynard James Keenan's side project. Still good, but not Tool. Tool was a group project, not just MJK running his own thing.

Didn't Chris Cornell from Soundgarden also jump in on the Puscifier thing?
0 Replies

BaCaRdi

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:11 am
@Theaetetus,
LMFAO I love Puscifer...now that is....

Ditto on the Tuned drums.. Step-Father is East-Indian BTW.

I am with you on this.lolol

-BaC
Diversity in Action....
It don't go down.........
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:17 pm
@Robo phil,
I find that a lot of 'philosophically-minded' people (Wink) tend to like Tool.

Personally I love them. There's something about the texture, the energy of the sound that makes me love them (as opposed to their melodic content, for example). They also put a lot of emphasis on rhythm, which I think satiates the primal musical drive. It's that perfect balance of the intellectual and primal that puts them above most other rock music for me.
0 Replies

Padawan phil

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:43 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:

Tock.

Hope you've heard their inpiration for Arizona Bay, but I'd imagine all Tool fans know the great Bill Hicks
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:44 pm
@Robo phil,
I am a huge Tool fan. I truly think they're absolutely amazing. Their music is very appealing and their lyrics are very clever, have a lot of depth to them and are very meaningful. I am baffled by how intricate some of the lyrics are You can never take anything from Tool at face value. I think Tool in itself can almost be considered a philosophy, maybe even a religion. The reason why i say this is because all their songs have such a strong message that contains many ideas and thoughts to ponder on. The themes in their songs run strong. As of now, i have found Tool to create the most meaningful lyrics out of any band to date. You may not agree with what they say, and believe me i am fine with that but i just think they are a fenominal band with a lot to analyze, interpret, and discuss about them. Every time i discuss and analyze a song's lyrics, i found something i didn't before, some other connection, and it really is astounding how deep their words are.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 08:25 pm
@Robo phil,
I know how you feel about the themes of Tool songs. The one that gets me is Lateralus due to how the music and the lyrics feed off the concept of the golden ratio (phi). The song is written in 13/8 which is as close as you can get to the ratio, and the lyrics also play into the concept. The only limitation of Tool maybe Adam Jones' guitar playing. While I like it, and I think he is a great guitar player, at times it feels like he recycles old guitar riffs. As a guitarist, I know how easy it is to do this, and as a folk musician, I know how easy it is to get stuck in a rut, but I know there are a few times that old guitar riffs sound like they are modified to Daney Carey's drumming. Obviously, being the guitar player in Tool is not an easy task, but I wonder how much the drop D tuning tends to limit what Adam Jones can do with a song. Maybe he should take a cue from Sonic Youth and start experimenting with more tunings than what he almost exclusively uses.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 08:32 pm
@Robo phil,
I know what your saying but all of Tool's members are absolutley astounding at what they do. I'd say one of if not the best in the business. Really the basist is very very skilled and talented as shown in schism. The drummer is extremely good and in my opinion the best drummer to date only because of his perfections at playing some of the most innovative different drum beats known to the industry. The guitarist has his moments and overall is very good and keeping the theme and message of the song alive. Maynard, enough said.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 08:41 pm
@Robo phil,
They have improved so much since they added Justin Chancellor on bass. You can totally hear the difference in the songs between Aenima and Undertow. If you go and listen to Justin Chancellor's previous band, Peach, you can totally tell how much he brought to the table of the recent Tool sound.

All that I am saying is that as a guitar player, you get a feeling how Adam Jones may recycle some old riffs to create them new to fit different moods and time signatures. But there is one thing that he brings to the table that makes him indispensable. Their videos are outstanding, and since he is the director of them, it is obvious how much he pushes the Tool vehicle. He did work on the special effects of Terminator 2...
0 Replies