0
   

Bright Eyes

 
 
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 11:21 am
Bright Eyes has been my biggest influence on my music, and the singer Conor Oberst writes excellent lyrics that are steeped in philosophy and life experience. He has been often compared to Bob Dylan as a lyricist, and recently Conor's music even echoes the folk music that Dylan has been cranking out for over 40 years.

Here is an excellent song off of I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. The accompanying video is very well done.

YouTube - Bright Eyes - At The Bottom Of Everything

Here is an song that has to do with religion--specifically the dangers of monotheistic religions and overcoming their dogmatic teachings.

YouTube - Bright Eyes - Four Winds

Here is an excellent performance of a very beautiful, although very sad song. I love to play this song, and I perform it from time to time at open mics.

YouTube - Bright Eyes - Lua (Coachella 2005)

Here is a performance of Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley band from Conan O'Brien. He has put Bright Eyes on hold for a while, and has pushed to more traditional folk rock with his solo band.
YouTube - Conor Oberst - Nicorette.avi
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,213 • Replies: 5
No top replies

 
glasstrees
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:36 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;67144 wrote:
Bright Eyes has been my biggest influence on my music, and the singer Conor Oberst writes excellent lyrics that are steeped in philosophy and life experience. He has been often compared to Bob Dylan as a lyricist, and recently Conor's music even echoes the folk music that Dylan has been cranking out for over 40 years.

Here is an excellent song off of I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. The accompanying video is very well done.

YouTube - Bright Eyes - At The Bottom Of Everything

Here is an song that has to do with religion--specifically the dangers of monotheistic religions and overcoming their dogmatic teachings.

YouTube - Bright Eyes - Four Winds

Here is an excellent performance of a very beautiful, although very sad song. I love to play this song, and I perform it from time to time at open mics.

YouTube - Bright Eyes - Lua (Coachella 2005)

Here is a performance of Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley band from Conan O'Brien. He has put Bright Eyes on hold for a while, and has pushed to more traditional folk rock with his solo band.
YouTube - Conor Oberst - Nicorette.avi


I have loved him for like 3 years now.

The songs on his albums that arent made into singles tend to sound like they were recorded on a mobile phone or something. I love this. It shows how his music shines thorugh the production
0 Replies
 
Theaetetus
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:05 pm
@Theaetetus,
I love Conor's lyrics. Even when they are personal they are very universal. Not to mention, they tend to deal with philosophy, society, and existential crises. I am not a big fan of his earlier music though when he was a teenager. While they are good considering how young he was, I find them rather annoying and teen angsty.

As you can tell, if you listen to the songs I have posted on my blog on the forum, I am very influenced by Mr. Oberst's songwriting. I often emulate many of his song structures by not always repeating the same lyrics during choruses and refrains.
glasstrees
 
  1  
Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 06:20 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;72630 wrote:
I love Conor's lyrics. Even when they are personal they are very universal. Not to mention, they tend to deal with philosophy, society, and existential crises. I am not a big fan of his earlier music though when he was a teenager. While they are good considering how young he was, I find them rather annoying and teen angsty.

As you can tell, if you listen to the songs I have posted on my blog on the forum, I am very influenced by Mr. Oberst's songwriting. I often emulate many of his song structures by not always repeating the same lyrics during choruses and refrains.


Thanks for reminding me of him. I am listening to his album fevers and mirrors now while im in bed and on repeat as I sleep Smile

I love the lyrics to I believe in symmetry . The philosophy is great.

Some plans were made and rice was thrown
A house was built, a baby born
How time can move both fast and slow
Amazes me

And so I raise my glass to symmetry
To the second hand and its accuracy
To the actual size of everything
The desert is the sand
You can't hold it in your hand
It won't bow to your demands
There's no difference you can make
There's no difference you can make
And if it seems like an accident
A collage of senselessness
You aren't looking hard enough
I wasn't looking hard enough

An argument for consciousness
The instinct of the blind insect
Who makes love to the flower bed
And dies in the first freeze
Oh I want to learn such simple things
No politics, no history
Till what I want and what I need
Can finally be the same

I just got myself to blame
Leave everything up to fate
When there's choices I could make
When there's choices I could make
Yeah, my heart needs a polygraph
Always so eager to pack my bags
When I really wanna stay
When I really wanna stay

When I wanna stay (x4)

The arc of time, the stench of sex
The innocence you can't protect
Each quarter note, each marble step
Walk up and down that lonely treble clef
Each wanting the next one
Each wanting the next one to arrive
Each wanting the next one
Each wanting the next one to arrive

An argument for consciousness
The instinct of the blind insect
Who never thinks not to accept its fate
That's faith, there's happiness in death
You give to the next one
You give to the next on down the line
You give to the next one
You give to the next on down the line

The levity of longing that
Distills each dream inside my head
By morning watered down forget
On silver stars I wish and wish and wish

From one to the next one
From one to the next right down the line
From one to the next one
From one to the next right down the line

You give to the next one
You give to the next on down the line
You give to the next one
You give to the next on down the line
0 Replies
 
Theaetetus
 
  1  
Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:29 pm
@Theaetetus,
"I Believe in Symmetry" is one of my favorites. My favorite Bright Eyes song though is "Arc of Time." Here are the lyrics. Probably the most philosophical of all of Conor Oberst's lyrics.

Bright Eyes - Arc of Time

You can make a plan
Carve it into stone
Like a feather falling
It is still unknown
Until the clock speaks up
Says it's time to go
You could choose the high
Or the lower road
You might clench your fist
You might fork your tongue
As you curse or praise
All the things you've done
And the faders move
And the music dies
As we pass over
On the arc of time

So you nurse your love
Like a wounded dove
In the covered cage of night
Every star is crossed
By frenetic thoughts
That separate and then collide
And they twist like sheets
Till you fall asleep
And they finally unwind
It's a black balloon
It's a dream you'll soon deny

I hear if you make friends
With Jesus Christ
You will get right up
From that chalk outline
And then you'll get dolled up
And you'll dress in white
All to take your place
In his chorus line

And then in you'll come
With those marching drums
In a saintly compromise
No more whiskey slurs
No more blonde haired girls
For your whole eternal life
And you'll do the dance
That was choreographed
At the very dawn of time
Singing, I told you son
The day would come
You would die, die, die, die
You would die, die, die, die
You would die, die, die, die
You would die, die, die

To the deepest part
Of the human heart
The fear of death expands
Till we crack the code
We have always known
But could never understand
On a circuit board
We will soon be born
Again, again, again, again
And again, again, again, again
And again, again, again, again
And again, again, again
glasstrees
 
  1  
Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:24 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;72921 wrote:
"I Believe in Symmetry" is one of my favorites. My favorite Bright Eyes song though is "Arc of Time." Here are the lyrics. Probably the most philosophical of all of Conor Oberst's lyrics.

Bright Eyes - Arc of Time

You can make a plan
Carve it into stone
Like a feather falling
It is still unknown
Until the clock speaks up
Says it's time to go
You could choose the high
Or the lower road
You might clench your fist
You might fork your tongue
As you curse or praise
All the things you've done
And the faders move
And the music dies
As we pass over
On the arc of time

So you nurse your love
Like a wounded dove
In the covered cage of night
Every star is crossed
By frenetic thoughts
That separate and then collide
And they twist like sheets
Till you fall asleep
And they finally unwind
It's a black balloon
It's a dream you'll soon deny

I hear if you make friends
With Jesus Christ
You will get right up
From that chalk outline
And then you'll get dolled up
And you'll dress in white
All to take your place
In his chorus line

And then in you'll come
With those marching drums
In a saintly compromise
No more whiskey slurs
No more blonde haired girls
For your whole eternal life
And you'll do the dance
That was choreographed
At the very dawn of time
Singing, I told you son
The day would come
You would die, die, die, die
You would die, die, die, die
You would die, die, die, die
You would die, die, die

To the deepest part
Of the human heart
The fear of death expands
Till we crack the code
We have always known
But could never understand
On a circuit board
We will soon be born
Again, again, again, again
And again, again, again, again
And again, again, again, again
And again, again, again


thats beautiful.

His sadness brings so much beauty
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Rockhead's Music Thread - Discussion by Rockhead
What are you listening to right now? - Discussion by Craven de Kere
WA2K Radio is now on the air - Discussion by Letty
Just another music thread. - Discussion by msolga
Classical anyone? - Discussion by JPB
Ship Ahoy: The O'Jays - Discussion by edgarblythe
Evolutionary purpose of music. - Discussion by jackattack
An a2k experiment: What is our favorite song? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED . . . - Discussion by Setanta
Has a Song Ever Made You Cry? - Discussion by Diest TKO
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Bright Eyes
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 06/28/2022 at 03:21:22