PoeticVisionary

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 05:51 pm
@Foldstein,
From what I've read George Orwell got his idea for the book "1984" from a Russian author named - Yevgeny Zamyatin and his book titled "WE". Which is a very good book.
Reconstructo

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:59 pm
@PoeticVisionary,
This book is great. Disturbing, yes. A nightmare. But great. I will never forget it. O'Brien (spelled right?) is one hell of a creation.
Krumple

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:30 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129253 wrote:
This book is great. Disturbing, yes. A nightmare. But great. I will never forget it. O'Brien (spelled right?) is one hell of a creation.

What I find disturbing is that everything in the book is happening. But we just shrug and carry on as if we have accepted it to be right. Oh, what I meant to say was, the government has our best interest in mind, we should gladly give up some liberty for security. We wouldn't have this great society and protection without a government, that's for sure.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:45 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;129285 wrote:
What I find disturbing is that everything in the book is happening. But we just shrug and carry on as if we have accepted it to be right. Oh, what I meant to say was, the government has our best interest in mind, we should gladly give up some liberty for security. We wouldn't have this great society and protection without a government, that's for sure.

The phrase is "essential liberty" for "temporary security". Have we done that?
Arjuna

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129296 wrote:
The phrase is "essential liberty" for "temporary security". Have we done that?

Do you mean "have we compromised essential liberty for temporary security?"

In the 1984 society, there's no tolerance for debate. This was the nature of Communism... only one viewpoint was allowed... and anybody who held a conflicting viewpoint would either give it up or die. The danger of this wasn't recognized until Stalin had already taken over.

A lot of people think that the American government today is the exact opposite of that: conflict reigns to the point that no action is possible even on issues that clearly demand action. There's a good Intelligence Squared debate about the California government... whether it's broken because of the prevalence and power of popular propositions. CALIFORNIA IS THE FIRST FAILED STATE | Intelligence Squared US
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:22 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;129331 wrote:
Do you mean "have we compromised essential liberty for temporary security?"

In the 1984 society, there's no tolerance for debate. This was the nature of Communism... only one viewpoint was allowed... and anybody who held a conflicting viewpoint would either give it up or die. The danger of this wasn't recognized until Stalin had already taken over.

A lot of people think that the American government today is the exact opposite of that: conflict reigns to the point that no action is possible even on issues that clearly demand action. There's a good Intelligence Squared debate about the California government... whether it's broken because of the prevalence and power of popular propositions. CALIFORNIA IS THE FIRST FAILED STATE | Intelligence Squared US

You have changed the subject.
Arjuna

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129337 wrote:
You have changed the subject.
Could you support that statement factually?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:26 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;129362 wrote:
Could you support that statement factually?

The subject was about liberty and security. You changed it to something about conflict in government.
Arjuna

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129424 wrote:
The subject was about liberty and security. You changed it to something about conflict in government.
Well, there's no point in talking about civil liberty if there's no governmental conflict allowed. You have civil rights only if your government can be divided against itself. Governmental conflict can threaten security... just ask the Byzantines after the Ottoman folks blazed in. That's why civil liberties fade in importance during wartime... for instance Lincoln suspended the right to Writ of Habeus Corpus during the Civil War.

When I read 1984, the introduction to the book said Orwell was criticizing the British government's control over public opinion. The 20th century was full of heavy-handed propaganda. See I changed the subject again! Or did I?
Reconstructo

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:00 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;129445 wrote:
You have civil rights only if your government can be divided against itself.

Very nice point.

---------- Post added 02-17-2010 at 06:01 PM ----------

Krumple;129285 wrote:

I think that Brave New World might be more accurate, but I understand your concerns.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:09 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;129445 wrote:
Well, there's no point in talking about civil liberty if there's no governmental conflict allowed. You have civil rights only if your government can be divided against itself. Governmental conflict can threaten security... just ask the Byzantines after the Ottoman folks blazed in. That's why civil liberties fade in importance during wartime... for instance Lincoln suspended the right to Writ of Habeus Corpus during the Civil War.

When I read 1984, the introduction to the book said Orwell was criticizing the British government's control over public opinion. The 20th century was full of heavy-handed propaganda. See I changed the subject again! Or did I?

But the conflict between security and liberty (whatever that comes to) is not the same conflict as a conflict within a government. "Things are what they are, and not another thing". Maybe they are connected. But they are not the same thing. And they are not the same subject.
Arjuna

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:23 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129470 wrote:
But the conflict between security and liberty (whatever that comes to) is not the same conflict as a conflict within a government. "Things are what they are, and not another thing". Maybe they are connected. But they are not the same thing. And they are not the same subject.
You're absolutely right.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:22 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;129476 wrote:
You're absolutely right.

But only 98.9% of the time. The "only" is for humility.
0 Replies