favorite website

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 08:19 pm
What is your absolute favorite: myspace, youtube, facebook, gaia, yahoo, msn, aol or someplace of your choice? why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,034 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Vasska

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:53 am
@philosopherqueen,
philosopherqueen wrote:
What is your absolute favorite: myspace, youtube, facebook, gaia, yahoo, msn, aol or someplace of your choice? why?

To be honest; any page that allows me to login to Google. So i would say google.com, for Gmail and Google Reader.

Netvibes.com is next on my list. It allows you to make a custom personal page including some handy to-do lists, and updates on all your e-mail accounts (and a TV-guide+Daily Comics). On your list I only use YouTube once a while.

Facebook and Myspace are useless social networks that only consume your time, Gaia is for fags (sorry i'm from the *chan culture if you know what that is), yahoo only if Google fails; which it never does. And AOL and MSN are in my opinion just failed pages that somehow always seem te survive.
philosopherqueen

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 08:56 am
@Vasska,
google is good, but it's google.

Facebook basically is for people who are trying to keep in contact, but it rarely works it turned more into a spy page.

MySpace I'm sorry but I disagree with you, it's my place for the music. I have more bands that are friends than, ppl I know. The bands usually are local around my area, and I blog about them trying to convert people, so far I've converted about 100 ppl to 50 some odd bands. If you got myspace contact me.

Gaia I'm new to and don't really know what's going on.

yahoo is mine for the games.

msn is for the hotmail.

"facebook and myspace are useless social networks that only consume your time" so this means you have eveything planned out in your day not to waste time. They consuem time if they let you. so I'm guessing you don't have a strong self persona not to get consumed by these two sites.
Vasska

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 02:31 pm
@philosopherqueen,
philosopherqueen wrote:
google is good, but it's google.

It's all I need. Knowing how to use Google in the more advanced way is a huge pro.

Quote:
Facebook basically is for people who are trying to keep in contact, but it rarely works it turned more into a spy page.
You know, I rather e-mail people. It keeps your messages from being read by others (there have been enough trouble over that if you read random newsreports about people getting fired and kids killing each other.) besides it's more personal. I don't really see the point of Facebook, but I'm not the person you will find in social networks.

Quote:
MySpace I'm sorry but I disagree with you, it's my place for the music. I have more bands that are friends than, ppl I know. The bands usually are local around my area, and I blog about them trying to convert people, so far I've converted about 100 ppl to 50 some odd bands. If you got myspace contact me.
Well i use Last.fm, it "scrobbles" my plays and builds a profile around me which i in turn can use to discover new artists. You might try it (Last.fm – The Social Music Revolution) or view my profile to get an impression. Notice i don't care about adding "online" friends and shoutbox messages, guess it's where we differ.

I don't really care for concerts either, and nine out of ten obscure bands are the one's I don't like. The obscure bands that I like come to me trough different (somehow less legit) channels. It might sound selfish, but I really don't like it when people start listening the same music like me. People copy me enough all the time, guess in some way I've got good taste.

Quote:

Gaia I'm new to and don't really know what's going on.

yahoo is mine for the games.

msn is for the hotmail.
Gaia is just another waste of time for me, it's a social network around a anime themed community. Yahoo offers about the same as Google and since i don't play games i don't see the value of Yahoo above Google.

MSN/Hotmail are just to slow, crowded with unneeded junk and well i just like Gmail since i got my first invite.

Quote:

"facebook and myspace are useless social networks that only consume your time" so this means you have eveything planned out in your day not to waste time. They consuem time if they let you. so I'm guessing you don't have a strong self persona not to get consumed by these two sites.
I have never used Facebook or Myspace, and never will. I however know people who get consumed by these kind of websites, and if you look around at those communities you unfortunately find many people that are addicted.

===
To me it's about efficiently; Google is efficient in reading/sending emails and keeping up to date with Google Reader (RSS feeds). Netvibes provides me the framework Google is lacking at the moment.

The whole "Social Network" hype just did not get to me. I would not care that Kim Lin Ling from China liked this or that and i can talk to people while visiting a website. Just look around and see how many social functions you have on a page, and how many are just not needed.

I'm a poweruser; i don't want to get distracted, but just do the things I need to do. My desktop is minimal (only a taskbar and wallpaper), my Firefox is loaded with a few extensions to make it more convenient to use.
Another something i do is, instead of clicking on the icon for the program i want i hit Alt+spacebar to open up an application called Launchy, type the first letters of the program i want to start and it's way faster that searching for an icon on your desktop.
0 Replies

Wizzy

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 05:54 am
@philosopherqueen,
philosopherqueen wrote:

Easy, philosophyforum.com Wink

Seriously, love this site... but other then this I'd say youtube... It's never boring on youtube! Razz
Rivelli

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 06:06 pm
@Wizzy,
kylerivelli.com cause its mine.
Aristoddler

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:31 am
@Rivelli,
facebook, since i grew up all across canada it helps me keep in touch and find people from way back when life was skinned knees and g.i joes.
philosophyforum because it helps my brain grow, and reminds me that there is intelligent life on earth.
explosm.net because it reminds me that there is also no intelligent life on earth.
Vasska

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:00 am
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
facebook, since i grew up all across canada it helps me keep in touch and find people from way back when life was skinned knees and g.i joes.
philosophyforum because it helps my brain grow, and reminds me that there is intelligent life on earth.
explosm.net because it reminds me that there is also no intelligent life on earth.

Would not have guessed you for someone who reads Cyanide & Happiness.

Anyhow Explosm.net is not that bad. Something Awful (SA), or any random Chan (4Chan, 7Chan, 420Chan) are the more uncontrolled breeding places for our the unintelligent people of the earth. My IQ dropped 20 point just writing this.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:05 pm
@Vasska,
gizmodo.com, jalopnik.com, consumerist.com, jezebel.com
linux user

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:00 am
@VideCorSpoon,
rense.com
abovetopsecret.com
keelynet.com

MUST SEE >www.rexresearch.com<
Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 07:30 pm
@linux user,
Facebook; Google News; Future Shop/Best Buy; and Slashdot
astrotheological

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 07:51 pm
@Victor Eremita,
deezer
youtube
wikipedia
google
philosophyforun
zeitgeistthemovie
www.xkcd.com
stumbleupon
nasa.gov
anxietyforum
itunes
comedynetwork
discover
www.watchbattlestargalacticaonline.com
yahoo
askjeeves
ebay
enchantedlearning
ciaworldfactbook
cia***9.78**3
www.howtoruletheworld.com
Poseidon

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 03:42 pm
@astrotheological,
Opening thread is quite accurate, but does not mention lesser known interesting sites :

free-online-novels.com

www.PowerAnimal.com
love the idea of power animals

anyone for cricket?
BanglaCricket
bangladesh are not the greatest cricketers
but their forum is the best cricket forum I've seen.
Cricket is the greatest sport for mental agility.

Anyone partake of God's holy weed?
Rastafari forum - Home
A bit short on members, but not on wisdom.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 06:06 pm
@Poseidon,
Hulu.com

pisoga.com

mininova.org

If your sensing a theme... chances are, you are correct. Though I love the anime trigun... I will not pay $100 for it. Not cheap... just thinking outside the box. The universe will provide... the internet-universe that is.
0 Replies

JoseyDaisyChains

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 02:09 pm
@philosopherqueen,
youtube.com =)
can watch nearly everything on there and being a poor student i need the free films!
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 02:19 pm
@JoseyDaisyChains,

Those are my favourites, but I also use stumble upon to get the news. physorg.com is also a great website for recent news.
MITech

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:04 pm
@Holiday20310401,
deezer
stumbleupon
wikipedia

and of course ............................

The philosophy forum.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:18 pm
@MITech,
Oh I forgot about wikipedia. Though I begin to loath that site ever since everyone tells me to refer to wikipedia for further clarification. Ticks me off. I never said I wanted a wiki answer.

After reading enough of wikipedia you'll begin to sort information into a wikipedi-ish frame in your head, without reading anything to do with the topic on their site. Maybe even intuitively grasp what wikipedia is going to tell you.
MITech

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Oh I forgot about wikipedia. Though I begin to loath that site ever since everyone tells me to refer to wikipedia for further clarification. Ticks me off. I never said I wanted a wiki answer.

After reading enough of wikipedia you'll begin to sort information into a wikipedi-ish frame in your head, without reading anything to do with the topic on their site. Maybe even intuitively grasp what wikipedia is going to tell you.

I know sometimes they will actually say whether or not the sources are correct or liable so they give you a warning in advance. Usually.
0 Replies

Rose phil

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 06:37 pm
@philosopherqueen,
I don't have any favourites. I just enjoy the net. I enjoy message boards and forums, and I have a Windows Live Space - just for the fun of it and to keep in touch with cyber friends. I'm all over the place, I can't get enough of it. Mind you, I don't watch TV so the computer is also for relaxation. And there are some games I like, mostly puzzle games and card games. I'm a bit boring in that department I'm afraid. There is one site I like and often help out at - Ask Me Help Desk
0 Replies