Philosophy Made Simple by avrum Stroll

Nitish

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 02:06 am
best introduction to western philosophy.it is made simplest.can u tell me a book which gives introduction to eastern philosophy(Indian,Chinese)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,305 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 05:00 pm
@Nitish,
I'm not familiar with this book. What makes it the best introduction to western philosophy? Making topics too complicated is ill advised for such introductory texts, but oversimplification is equally dangerous.

As for Eastern philosophy, I have a few recommendations. The first is Robert Thurman's "Inner Revolution", a sort of historical survey, philosophical treatise, and inspirational work. The book is a marvelous introduction to Buddhism and Buddhist thought - Thurman's work will give you some perspective on a diverse, ancient, and often confusing tradition.
The second is "Monkey". "Monkey" is a children's book that presents many Buddhist, and generally eastern themes, in wonderful allegory. Wu Cheng'en's text is a world classic, and a great read.
I would also suggest reading a few different translations of the Tao Te Ching. For commentary and scholarly resources, the following web site is invaluable:
Chad Hansen's Chinese Philosophy Page (Daoist Interpretations)

For western readers, especially my fellow Americans, Thoreau's "Walden" is a beautiful text that will introduce the reader to eastern thought in the context of western society. A must read. For anyone, regardless of interests.
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:18 pm
@Nitish,
I have a full library of Swami Bhagadavita's works.
I found that his insight to Eastern philosophy is easy to retain, and incredibly interesting to read/learn.
Professer Frost

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 04:53 am
@Aristoddler,
Hi All,
Does anyone else have some recommendations for a good introductory text on the history of western philosophy?

- The Prof.
Vasska

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 06:53 am
@Professer Frost,
Professer Frost wrote:
Hi All,
Does anyone else have some recommendations for a good introductory text on the history of western philosophy?

- The Prof.

I like "The Great Philosophers" which are 12 essays published in a book and take you trough the life, times and ideas of the western philosophers. It's real easy to retain.

Mastering Philosophy by Anthony Harrison-Barbet has proved to be great self study material. Don't get any Philosophy for Dummies or philosophy in 24 hours books though.
0 Replies