Types of Books

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 09:43 pm
The only category among them thar choices that I have no interest in whatever is in the self-help how-to category, If I can't help myself, ain'y no book gonna do it for me. And if I want more insights into myself, my behavior, etc., I have to look within myself not accept the opinions of a pop psychologist (or even a serious shrink, for that matter). I'll pick up a how-to book just to look up something (like how to rewire a a light switch from a one-way to a four-way connection), but that's not reading. That's research.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 09:50 pm
EhBeth, I have it, but haven't actually read it...
osso
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 06:57 am
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=3365166

Tommy - this wa all I found that Craven had not.

good luck!

Deb
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:19 am
I would recommend the books of David Lodge to anyone who isn't familiar with his work.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend such to those who know him already. Wouldn't be much point, would there?

http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i10/10a01401.htm
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:40 am
Debacle- There is a skewed logic in your premise, but I still haven't figured it out!!! Confused
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 06:21 pm
On closer examination of the syllogism, Phoenix, I must acknowledge it does limp with a slight tautological bias. For to argue otherwise I would either:

(1) risk showing myself guilty of what I believe the logicians term ignoratio elenchi,

or else, Heaven forfend,

(2) accuse you of making an argumentum ad hominem.

Neutral Smile Laughing Drunk Arrow Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 08:20 am
You both better watch out or I will hit you with the dreaded tu quoque!

I can see I am going to have to get hold of this man's books!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 09:57 am
Forever rising from the ashes . . .
As our astute friend Phoenix has noted, tastes change with your age . . . fiction does not much interest me of late, and my reading remains almost exclusively in the realm of history and biography . . . once an avid science fiction fan, the last such book i've read was The Boat of a Million Years, and i found myself critiquing the work as i read it--on the whole, i found much to complain of in the work . . . I was once a fan of Thomas Pynchon as well, and couldn't get past the first few pages of the last book of his which i picked up . . .

Old age is hell, and i say that having only just arrived . . .

okseeyahbye

S
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 10:50 pm
Debacle, Your logic on Lodge is flawlwss. What a mind!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 08:32 am
Don't mind Debacle, Hazlitt. He's (mostly) harmless.
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 04:31 pm
I have just started "A Bright Shing Lie"
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 04:31 pm
I Can't spell - "A Bright Shining Lie"
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 10:41 pm
Merry Andrew, I agree with you that self help books are worthless, at least for me. For one thing, I'm too old to worry about self improvement. If I'm not satisfied with myself now, I never will be. I certainly acknowledge that I have imperfections, but I don't really care.
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 02:08 pm
I wrote a short story "The Rosary" - a couple of years ago. I sent it to Misti fior a review - I think she was positively non-committal about it!
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 08:11 pm
I voted for Fiction.... more specifically, I love a good mystery. Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, P.D. James. On the lighter side, Janet Evanovich. And on the side of the tough female heroine, Sue Grafton, Marcia Muller, Sara Paratsky. And, of course, The Dog Lovers Mysteries by Susan Conant.

I'm currently reading "White Oleander", before I see the movie.

Previously, I read "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood", before I see the movie.

Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 06:33 pm
Voted fiction but it was a heard task to choose. But if I could only ever read one thing it would have to be fiction because I believe all fiction is based some where in the reality of the writer and is the history and biograpical knowledge within that individual. So voting for fiction was a vote from my point of view.

Currently reading Selected Non-fictions of Jorge Luis Borges edited by Eliot Weinberger and Back \ Slash by William H. Lovejoy. However, I am about to embark on the Lord of the Rings and from what I have been told that will be a read I cannot stop until finished and may have to read the series more than once.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 12:50 am
I answered "non-fiction" because I am a huge fan of comedy, science fiction, biography, and fantasy. For any of these to make sense, there must be a reference point based in "reality". Once one knows about history, reality, logic, psychology, sociology, etc. they it is easier to creat your new 'world' because there is a common reference point for the author and the reader.

I can take off in my imagination and use my creativity to heightened effect with the inspiration of 'non-fiction' "fact".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 12:53 am
"positively non-committal" Tommy? You've got the gift, all right.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:58 pm
Favorite Fiction?

My favorite fiction : mysteries and spy stories. Laughing
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:42 pm
Reading?
I love adult comics. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies