The War We Could Not Stop

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:02 am
The War We Could Not Stop
Randeep Ramesh (Editor)

Reviews
Amazon.co.uk Review

The War We Could Not Stop is one of the first books about the Iraq conflict to be published since the end of the war and is the result of a collaborative effort by Guardian journalists that seeks to explain the historical background to the war, why it happened when it did and how it finished. Some of the reports come from "embedded" journalists, some from free agents. There are also contributions from American reporters with Arabic speakers from around the region bringing different perspectives.

The first-third of the book in many respects is the most interesting part. Chapter one looks at the 12 years since the first Gulf War, a period that saw a small group of neoconservative American politicians, policymakers and intellectuals--including Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz and Condoleezza Rice among others--evolve a theory of America's place in the world that had as its first great objective the ousting of Saddam by American military might. Chapters two and three look at the dilemma faced by the United Nations, at Tony Blair's management of the cabinet and his own personal battle to persuade the country of the real and present danger presented by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. Chapter four deals with the first few days of the war and the following chapter with the popular opposition to the war in Britain manifested by the largest ever war-time demonstration in Britain's history.

The final two-thirds of the book are dominated by the eye-witness accounts of the war itself. It has the immediacy of first-hand accounts, the balance provided by solid historical background and it reads extremely well--as you'd expect from veteran reporters. Try reading this alongside Dilip Hiro's excellent Iraq: A View from the Inside. --Lary Brown

Synopsis

It took just three weeks for the second Gulf War to shake the world. Despite public protest and months of international negotiations, the bombs fell on Baghdad. Now, we can see the full picture. Guardian journalists - some of them in the heat of battle, some of them at a more reflective distance around the world - have assembled the story of the most controversial war of modern times. Launched by the mightiest military force on the earth to topple Saddam Hussein, the devastating attack on Iraq brought havoc to the cradle of civilization. It showered horror, pity, death and despair on a people whom history has already burdened with oppression and tyranny. Whether the disorder wrought was justified is for the future to decide. This book is the history of destruction that was the war we could not stop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,117 • Replies: 14
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:06 am
why?
Why is this book only available through Amazon in the UK? Amazon doesn't list it as available in the US.

BBB
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:53 pm
Perhaps you couldn't find it in the U.S. version of Amazon because you weren't looking in the correct section of Amazon.

Try looking in the 'Hugely Biased, Left Wing, American Hating, Anti War Section' , you should be able to locate it there.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 09:29 pm
Fedral:

As opposed to the 'Brain-Dead AM-Radio Nation Section'
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 09:47 pm
I say we burn all such books, we don't need no stinkin' books anyway. the only ones that read those books are those elitist liberal pigs. I say we stick to comix like O'Reiley 'toon news and SuperHannity and Mighty Coulter. War is good for the economy and population control and scaring the bejesus out of them commie pinko atheist Islamists towel heads. All we need is more smart bombs and we need to drop them right on the heads of those demorat senators and people like that who think they have some kinda right to think different than what the government tells them to think. Freakin' disgraceful if you ask me so if they dont like it here they can just go live with them Iraqi's. This is American gad damnit and you should read what your told to read. But i could be wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:01 pm
dys
You hit the nail on the head. Damned liberal appeasers are gonna get us all killed.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:43 am
Actually I may see if I can:

A) Find this at a local B&N or Borders

B) See if I can read parts of it on-line.

May be a nice pick-up!

(I may have to make READING part of my New Years Resolution!)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 08:40 am
I went to the publisher's website, Faber and Faber. They're a UK based publishing company and the book title is buried deep in their search index. It took quite an effort to locate it using several methods.

Looks like they aren't putting any effort into marketing the book.

I checked B&N and a few other bookstore websites in the US and could not find the book anywhere. All Google listings for it are in the UK.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 08:46 am
Did a search on The Guardian Unlimited's website. The amazon.com description says the book is the result of a collaborative effort by Guardian journalists.

The results of that search on their own website? Not a peep. Rather odd. Makes me rather curious to read that book.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 09:37 am
I've just sent an email to my son to see if he can find it in London for his dad. I guess they're those liberals that somebody was mentioning. They are, as well, card-carrying members of both the ACLU and the NRA. They like to say that they're covering ALL the Bill of Rights that way... plus they offend nearly every one!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 09:50 am
Could it be ordered from the publisher?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 10:10 am
Yep, but you might as well just order from amazonuk. You'll have to do the same currency conversion.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 09:28 pm
Cool!

This sounds like it may be a good read for a crazy idea this topic has implanted in my brain.

To read at least ONE book a month each month of 2004:)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 09:29 pm
I bought a book once but all I did was chew on the covers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 09:56 pm
For me to buy one book a month would send me into book recovery therapy.........
0 Replies