Theaetetus

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:11 am
@Aedes,
They do. You can block people so you don't have to see their stuff anymore. I have a couple of friends that decided it was a good idea to feed their tweets on Twitter into Facebook, so I blocked them.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:16 am
@Aedes,
Oh yes, I forgot. Smile
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:38 am
@FireWalkWithMe,
FireWalkWithMe;76141 wrote:
I find it pretty dehumanizing actually. I don't really feel that it's truly "CONNECTING" people-- on a genuinely emotional-human level. I think people were more connected prior to social networking sites, when they used the time that they are now behind a computer screen staring at Facebook/Myspace, hanging out in person.

This is a good point. I don't think recognizing it means online social networking is bad; quite the contrary! But I do think it wise to put it into a philosophical context that recognizes the larger issue: The growing lack of physicality as a component to our socialization. [INDENT] As these sorts of resources grow in availability and popularity, we all are more likely to use them in lieu of seeing, hearing and touching as a part of our interaction. I don't think this is exactly the doom of mankind, but it disconnects us from our social, in-person nature and does inculcate - in our minds - the concept of "friend" as some floating mental-concept absent of hearty sensory impressions.
[/INDENT]This issue was covered lightly - though very well - in the book "Distracted" (review here) and is a primary theme in a book called "Devices of the Soul - Battling for our selves in the Age of Machines" by Steve Talbott (on my to-read bookshelf, can't wait to get to it).

As with all things, this BOON of contact, networking and keeping in touch is great! I think it's important we take this good, and recognize it's side-effects as well.

Thanks
0 Replies

ltdaleadergt

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:36 am
@Aedes,
You just have to be a responsible user.
0 Replies

FireWalkWithMe

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:31 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;78538 wrote:
So, Facebook definitely can have many benefits, but some people just use it to irritate the hell out of everyone.

Oh yes they can! Examples:

-Do you want to join my mafia wars? Hello? Join my clan! Play with me!

-What's your IQ? My IQ is 150! I'm so smart I answered a fake IQ test that told me how smart I am and I want to make sure that everyone sees this!

-Which Family Guy character are you? I'm Stewie! I'm so bad ass and evil! Check it out!

-Status updates: *sigh* so sad.... *sigh* (waits for comments... no one comments in 2 minutes so no one must care about me boohoohoo)

etc. etc. into infinity

PS: Caroline, there is a way to ignore anyone you want. You can also ignore certain types of updates (make a list of people to ignore and set the settings to ignore people on that list). But this is only in news feeds.
So if someone is writing on your wall or PMing you and annoying you that way, the only way to stop it is to block them.
Justin

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:23 pm
@FireWalkWithMe,
I find it pretty dehumanizing actually. I don't really feel that it's truly "CONNECTING" people-- on a genuinely emotional-human level. I think people were more connected prior to social networking sites, when they used the time that they are now behind a computer screen staring at Facebook/Myspace, hanging out in person.

While this is completely understood, it's only your perception of it. Human evolution is not at all dehumanizing, it's what we are creating. The fact is, this new revolution IS connecting people and more so than ever before and it's a GREAT thing that we have the ability to do so. Besides that, we're progressing towards transparency which is going to be good for everyone.

There are people who think like you do and I may have too but there is a bright side to all of this if you choose to see it. I think it's important, especially now in this era, to embrace and utilize these resources because they are not going away. What matters most is how we perceive it.

**And let me add that I am on Facebook because some "friends" have gotten to the point where if I'm not on Facebook, i have no other means of keeping in touch with them...which I find depressing and even humiliating.
It's really made me question who are my true friends. That is the reason for my putting quotes around the word.

Facebook is the easiest way to keep in contact, share photos and update your status. This keeps people in contact. I tell them all to get on facebook and I've yet heard one regret it once they got on there.

If you find it depressing or humiliating then that's what it will be. What about changing your perception of it? It goes with anything in life in general. If we make the choice to always see the negative sides of ANYTHING, then the negative side will reflect back your perception of it. So in a sense, I'm suggesting to look at things with different glasses on. Try to find the positives and see the positive side of it and you'll soon find out how happy you are to have it and be connected to all your friends.

Questioning their friendship because of this is no problem of theirs, that's one you are putting upon yourself so the best thing you can do is change your perception of it.

If you use facebook and twitter and some of the more reputable applications on the internet, you'll find that they increase productivity and communication like never before and this is good. On top of that, we're moving into a transparent age which is also going to provide positive change throughout our entire world.

And maybe it's just me. I don't really have any close friends. No one ever calls me and rarely do I get a personal e-mail. I get to the point where I feel like when I'm on the internet, I'm staring into some kind of void and it makes me very sad to even discuss this 9but I think it's pretty relevant since the net is such a big part of people's lives.)

I can't stand personal emails. I mean, after all the spam we each get in our inbox each day and the constant battles with it... facebook is a breath of fresh air for keeping in contact with friends and acquaintences.

It's not a void until you create that void based on how you see it.

FireWalkWithMe;78671 wrote:
Oh yes they can! Examples:

-Do you want to join my mafia wars? Hello? Join my clan! Play with me!

-What's your IQ? My IQ is 150! I'm so smart I answered a fake IQ test that told me how smart I am and I want to make sure that everyone sees this!

-Which Family Guy character are you? I'm Stewie! I'm so bad ass and evil! Check it out!

-Status updates: *sigh* so sad.... *sigh* (waits for comments... no one comments in 2 minutes so no one must care about me boohoohoo)

etc. etc. into infinity

On my facebook, I have put this:[INDENT]Justin doesn't do all those silly applications so please don't take it personally if I reject your drink or ignore your kicks. Thank you!.... I forgot to mention - DO NOT FWD: Forward emails to me.
[/INDENT]It's in the box on the left hand of my profile page. I don't get too many and if I do, I ignore all application requests from that user and/or block application.

People seem to be fascinated with some of these games and quizes and that's all fine and dandy but it's not productive. It's not improving your life or the lives around you, it's entertainment. I know that I don't have time for all that so, the more you block the less you'll get and just make it known that you aren't into the apps game. If they choose to spend valuable time playing on facebook... well that's up to them.

I used to get into stuff like that myself but you end up growing out of that. So having facebook and keeping track of your friends throughout your life is very exciting... And trust me, they'll grow out of the apps and games when the newness wears off.

Another good thing about is networking for jobs or business and other great things.

Facebook is a good thing. The changes we are going through are a good thing. We are going through and a part of one of the biggest revolutions ever and if we choose only to see the negative aspects of it, the negative is the only thing that will be reflected back.

So, I encourage you to look at things differently. You can stand around and burn bread on everything or you can be apart of positive change and positive influence amongst your friends. You'll be amazed and how much better things will look once you perceive them differently.

I do however, recommend that EVERYONE take their facebook profile very seriously and use it only for friends and acquaintances.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:38 pm
@Aedes,
Justin;78732 wrote:
I do however, recommend that EVERYONE take their facebook profile very seriously and use it only for friends and acquaintances.

who do you mean by friends and acquaintances? you mean people you have met in the physical world? would you give everyone on this forum access? i am still scared of facebook. i wouldnt mind doing a page using a fake name and being invisible so nobody could find me-i guess there are a lot more people in my past that i dont want to hear from. the good ones all seem to be dead.

can i go check it out and see people on it without being a part of it? maybe it just isnt my kind of thing...i like anonymity as a means of safety.
Justin

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:17 pm
@salima,
salima;78733 wrote:
who do you mean by friends and acquaintances? you mean people you have met in the physical world? would you give everyone on this forum access? i am still scared of facebook. i wouldnt mind doing a page using a fake name and being invisible so nobody could find me-i guess there are a lot more people in my past that i dont want to hear from. the good ones all seem to be dead.

No, I wouldn't let everyone on this forum have access to my facebook. However, I can open up a facebook page and they can all be on that. I mean people you've met, maybe people from school or friends of friends that you have something in common with... whoever you choose. I don't add everyone though.

If nobody can find you then what's the point of having facebook? If it's someone in your past asking to be friends that you don't want to hear from, simply deny them and move on. It's pretty easy.

salima;78733 wrote:
can i go check it out and see people on it without being a part of it? maybe it just isnt my kind of thing...i like anonymity as a means of safety.

Transparency promotes safety, anonymity promotes crime. If there's something in your past, get over it and deal with the situation when and if it arises. There are settings to make your profile private which is usually what everyone does and also to make it unsearchable. Set it up correctly and you'll be fine.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:40 pm
@Aedes,
justin, i have nothing to hide-it is more a case of wanting to hide myself, not anything i have ever done. i am incredibly shy, that's all-it can be a real curse. but you are right, there is no reason for me to have a page on facebook.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 03:04 am
@Aedes,
Salima, im like you but if there is anything you dont want to do you dont do it. I was against Justin merging with Facebook first then I opened my own page and then I could see how safe it really was, you cant even find me because a woman with a smilar name to me comes up in the search instead. I thought I dont want to hear from anyone in my past so I thought I'll just ignore them but noone has been brave enough to try and even if they do just ignore them and it shows how pathetic they are and how important you are to them. If it means more people on the forum then im all for it. I think it's how you use it, I haven't read much of FWWM posts, but I havent got any friends yet on FB yet either, (ahh), but that's only because I opened it to find someone not to communicate. It doesn't dehumanize, how can contacting people on the other side of the world be dehumainizing? I dont undeerstand why you are bothering to read all of those sad messages from people bugging you, just ignore them. It is safe Salima, all you can see on my page is my first name the rest is all locked, honestly I've had no trouble with it at all, everyone is doing it, you want to get with the times and get on it, send me an email! Smile Lord knows I need it! (ahhh).
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:30 am
@Aedes,
what sad messages? i dont think it is dehumanizing...i just think it wont serve any purpose for me. other than the people in my neighborhood, i dont have anyone to communicate with off this forum, actually. my brothers and my son are not on facebook either and i dont see that they will be in the future. i guess it is a part of our upbringing-sero social contact, even with each other.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:48 am
@Aedes,
Um sorry I meant the sad messages people are sending to FireWalkWithMe, yes I haven't much use for it yet either.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:22 am
@Caroline,
Our interface with modern communication technology, isn't dehumanizing us its simply changing the defenition of human.
0 Replies

hammersklavier

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 07:51 pm
@FireWalkWithMe,
FireWalkWithMe;76132 wrote:
I have 12 friends on Facebook. I never add anyone that I have never met (face-to-face or elsewhere on the net) unless we are collaborating on something. I just don't understand why someone would have hundreds or thousands of "friends"...it's pretty pointless unless you're trying to promote something (like a book you wrote or a website or something.) But then there are people simply trying to promote themselves in this ME culture.

Actually, most of my Facebook friends happen to be old high-school and college acquaintances. I usually pursue active friendships with only a very few people. So most of my friend list happens to be a bloated address book.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:50 pm
@Aedes,
What I find nice about facebook is that I can see the feeds and respond quickly to old friends or class mates. It's also good for organizing reunions. Facebook is very useful in so many ways.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:19 pm
@Aedes,
I agree with Justin. I can keep up very easily with friends. Not to mention, it is my philosophy mentor's birthday today (an old professor), and I would have missed it had it not been for Facebook. Sure, I can't make it back to my old city for the occasion, but I can at least acknowledge the occasion easily and efficiently.
0 Replies

Oribe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:00 pm
@Aedes,
Facebook is a pretty good little networker, but I'm getting kind of tired of all the add-ons that make it "varied and fun". I don't want to join Farmtown dammit. I liked it when it was solely about connecting, but since it's kept everything useful it still gets a thumbs up from me. I'll grant it the title of being excellent at keeping me updated on a lot of people I would have forgotten by now.
0 Replies