Unforgiven III

Aedes

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:13 pm
This is the only song that's really grabbed me on Metallica's new album, though I'm not really much of a metal fan these days (really haven't been in about 20 years).

But this is a really good song, and I like the previous two Unforgivens.

For those familiar with them, do you think these three songs are directly connected, or that they are just parallel meditations on the subject of blame and forgiveness?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,248 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Joe

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:41 pm
@Aedes,
I'm a flimsy Metallica fan at best, but Banging my head with my hardcore friends to Master of Puppets and Fuel are some of my best memories. When it comes to the new album I think it is decent with some hard playing. The unforgiven songs are cool. Not my taste but when Metallica breaks into harmony type playing they do it very well.

Turn the page is one of the best cover songs in history, they did with some grit.
Aedes

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:03 pm
@Aedes,
Yeah, they did a great cover, though the original is still my favorite. Their best covers were done early in their career, like Am I Evil? Their best stuff, hands down, is from their first 2 or 3 albums -- it was just fresher and the playing was more virtuosic.

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:06 pm
@Aedes,
Mettalica is one of my favriote bands for sure, and the unforgiven songs have to be some of their best songs. But 'some kind of monster' is still my favorite
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:13 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
I'm a flimsy Metallica fan at best, but Banging my head with my hardcore friends to Master of Puppets and Fuel are some of my best memories. When it comes to the new album I think it is decent with some hard playing. The unforgiven songs are cool. Not my taste but when Metallica breaks into harmony type playing they do it very well.

Turn the page is one of the best cover songs in history, they did with some grit.

How do you put "Master of Puppets" and "Fuel" in the same sentence? :nonooo:
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:19 pm
@Aedes,
Anyways, my favorite song off of Death Magnetic is either...

Mod Edit - Videos Removed Due to Copyright

The first reminds me of "Creeping Death." The second reminds me of "One" and "Fade to Black." The third reminds me of "Am I Evil" and "Blackened."
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 05:25 am
@Aedes,
Don't really care for any of those three. The Day that Never Comes is ok, but it feels like a patchwork of different songs, i.e. no consistency. And the line "love is a four letter word" is a bit cliche and banal.

Bonaventurian, you know that Metallica didn't write Am I Evil, right?
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:27 pm
@Aedes,
Am I Evil? was a Diamond Head cover. Either way, the song still reminds me of Am I Evil. The way that the Metallica song begins and the way that the Diamond Head song begins are very similar.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 09:18 am
@Aedes,
i still think the original unforgiven was the best. wasnt the video supposed to be plato's cave? to me the lyrics are philosophy and poetry, but the power isnt in the lyrics alone, it is in the singer's voice and the music...the guitar riffs....unbelievable.

i never read about the subject behind the song. to me it was about the authenticity of expression of the self-and the way society stifles anyone who is outside their small way of thinking, who doesnt fit their norms. the old story about the square peg in the round hole and how in school the teachers keep trying to bash this kid into shape like the others until he loses all his ability to find any original thoughts. it continues in the home, and also by peers. fit in, conform, dont deviate...dont think. and most of all dont be yourself.

god i hate schools...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 09:51 am
@salima,
The first three Metallica albums were far more virtuosic due to Dave Mustaine (on four tracks of Kill 'Em All, as I recall) and, of course, and with far more influence, the legendary Cliff Burton whos loss we all lament.

As for Death Magnetic, I am again disappointed. I will not buy the album, however, it is a huge improvement over the last mess they put out and, over all, a decent record.
Aedes

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:59 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;64919 wrote:
The first three Metallica albums were far more virtuosic due to Dave Mustaine (on four tracks of Kill 'Em All, as I recall) and, of course, and with far more influence, the legendary Cliff Burton whos loss we all lament.
Dave Mustaine isn't on any of the tracks of Kill 'Em All (not performing them, at least), though he co-wrote several of the songs. Doesn't matter, though, he isn't half the guitarist that Kirk Hammett is. Mustaine is more like Hetfield, a born rhythm guitarist and song stylist, but Hammett is the expressive, technical virtuoso, and it's his solos that (largely) separate Metallica from the other contemporaneous thrash bands -- Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth all suffer for lack of a great lead guitarist.

What separates the first three albums in my mind are Burton's bass and Lars' aggressiveness (though Justice is his best album). They just drive the songs. As good an album as Justice is, without the great bassist it has an almost ponderous sound.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:05 pm
@Aedes,
You're right about Mustaine... I coulda swore... oh well.

As for Lars, he was never a brilliant player. ...And Justice took him over a year to lay down. But they are great tracks, definitely Lar's best.

Justice was a unique record. Great progressive metal, but it's so damn dry. The bass is way back, and that makes the drums all the more important. I never understood why Metallica did this, maybe because Jason was new, but it worked out. It makes the record all the more compelling... as you say, "ponderous". Had Justice been as wet as Master or, gulp, Black Album, you would not hear people argue that it was Metallica's best.

This newest Metallica album is an improvement over St. Anger, but when I look back at the incredible art the band once put out I just can't bring myself to think much of the band's latest efforts. The same is true of 311 - both bands are getting old, I suppose, and the music is high energy. Tough to keep up.

The one good thing about the current incarnation of Metallica is that bassist. I liked Jason, but Trujilo is a monster.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:34 pm
@Aedes,
Trujillo is still no Cliff Burton.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:40 pm
@Aedes,
Metallica is one of those bands that should have known when to quit. All they are doing is tarnishing their legacy.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:55 pm
@Aedes,
The., I really liked Death Magnetic. To be honest, I prefer DM to most of ...And Justice.
0 Replies