Does this seem sexist? Or is it just my imagination?

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:53 pm
I was flipping through Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" and he mentioned a best-selling pocket book, published in London, that was widely read in the American colonies in the 1700s. It was called "Advice to a Daughter." Here's an excerpt...

You must first lay it down for a Foundation in general, That there is inequality in Sexes, and that for the better Oeconomy of the World; the Men, who were to be the Law-givers, had the larger share of Reason bestow'd upon them; by which means your Sex is the better prepar'd for the Compliance that is necessary for the performance of those Duties which seem'd to be most properly assign'd to it... Your Sex wanteth our Reason for you Conduct, and our Strength for your Protection: Ours wanteth your Gentleness to soften, and to entertain us...

Now, if that same article were written today, would it be considered sexist?

Or am I reading too much into this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,048 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:58 pm
why? what? it seems like a warm and kind advice to me. i will also tell my daughters to shut up and obey.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:06 pm
Men were very small minded in those days.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:07 pm
I've heard about that book.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:08 pm
That's not sexist, sexism is just a politically correct term dreamed up by the raging liberal media.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:11 pm
Thanks, CdK, I knew you'd clear this whole messy matter up.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:28 pm
To clarify another common confusion the whole brouhaha about "murder" is a politically correct invention as well.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:44 pm
When taken in context (the 18th Century) it is downright progressive!
0 Replies