Windelband's 'A History of Philosophy'

Logos

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:42 pm
The most concise and penatrating I have ever read. Comes in two volumes, I have only read volume 1. Really beautiful.
......Logos
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,166 • Replies: 11
No top replies

crespowu

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 02:03 am
@Logos,
Windelband is my favorite writer!!Smile
Logos

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:49 am
@crespowu,
It is interesting in that of all the philosophy books I have read the Windelband books are so well written and profound that it is like dipping into poetry. Even better....
........Logos
0 Replies

b6zulu

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:14 am
@Logos,
How does this read compare to Bertrand Russell's 'A History of Western Philosophy'?
Braveheart phil

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:15 am
@b6zulu,
How about Copleston's 9 volume book "A History of Philosophy"?
I started reading it as a philosophy student but not in English language, so I'm wandering if I can find this book as an Ebook on the net. Any help?
boagie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 01:21 pm
@Braveheart phil,
Smile The history of western philosopy by Bertrand Russell was my introduction to philosophy, I thought it pretty great stuff. Is there something outstanding in its characteristics reguarding this particular choice of yours, what makes it standout for you or do you even compare it to other histories.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 05:15 am
@boagie,
Russell's was pretty good. It wasn't so much a history of Western philosophy as it was 'Here is what so and so thought, this is why they are wrong, and this is why I am right". Luckily for the reader, Russell is brilliant, so this in no way gets old.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:28 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Smile The history of western philosopy by Bertrand Russell was my introduction to philosophy, I thought it pretty great stuff. Is there something outstanding in its characteristics reguarding this particular choice of yours, what makes it standout for you or do you even compare it to other histories.

I have his histroy of Ancient Philosophy and it is detailed, and has a lot of the original Greek words, which has put me on a local quest for a Greek/English dictionary.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 04:12 pm
@Fido,
An ancient Greek/English dictionary or a modern Greek/English dictionary. I understand there are vast differences in the language.

An ancient Greek/English dictionary would be very interesting.
Fido

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
An ancient Greek/English dictionary or a modern Greek/English dictionary. I understand there are vast differences in the language.

An ancient Greek/English dictionary would be very interesting.

Ancient. And what compunds the difficulty is this: The Greeks we are most familiar with, of Athens, were Ionions, and most of what we have of Greek through Latin into English is Dorian, what the Spartans were. Still, it is Indo-European, and some of those words come through to us almost exactly as they were thousands of years ago.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:27 am
@Fido,
Are those same Ionian and Dorian dialects what confused Homeric scholars for so long?

As for the Indo-European roots, you are right. Aparently, scholars have found a great deal to do studying the similarities of sanskrit and European language.
Fido

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:33 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Are those same Ionian and Dorian dialects what confused Homeric scholars for so long?

As for the Indo-European roots, you are right. Aparently, scholars have found a great deal to do studying the similarities of sanskrit and European language.

I love that sort of philology stuff. It tells a lot about the travels of mankind. Just thinking of it brings such questions to mind that I have to pick up a book. I picked up a book on the Alphabet from the R E Olds estate, and I got a lot of good books. Some of his books have never been cracked. I can't say I have never been guilty of that crime. But I destroyed lots of them to get the inside out. Come to think of it, I was reading about this today, early; and it seems they had more vowel sounds, and I believe it said the Dorians did not have some of the consonant sounds, and they got dropped too. Over all, pretty interesting, very well studied, and some nice black and whites of archeological examples of the art.
0 Replies