The one we all avoided...

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:01 pm
The DaVinci Code.

What the heck is the fuss about?
Why can't people differentiate between fiction and non-fiction?
Why the controversy?
Why the hype?
Why such a terrible movie adaptation of such a good book?

GAH!

Discuss. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,970 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Arjen

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 04:53 pm
@Aristoddler,
Because this way there are a number of things blow worldwide into fiction by the "fuss" of media and people. A few of these things are research into secret societies, research into symbols as well as into the background of symbols and research into the coming to be of power; religious, politiccal or other. Anyone seriously debating any of these can now be debunked by statements such as: "I bet he read the da vinci code", or: "Everybody knows those are just stories".

My two cents
0 Replies

Vasska

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 04:31 am
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
The DaVinci Code.

What the heck is the fuss about?
Why can't people differentiate between fiction and non-fiction?
Why the controversy?
Why the hype?
Why such a terrible movie adaptation of such a good book?

GAH!

Discuss. Very Happy

I did not read the book, but really wanted to kill myself after seeing such a bad film. Or at least get my 2 hours of ruined life back.

The controversy was what it always is about; a story about [fill in the religion's persons, symbols etc] that does not corresponds correctly to the religious statements, or for some reason is seen as a threat to it. People start to get mad and fail to differentiate between fiction and non-fiction. Some of them have more power then others and contacts thus mass controversy is born, after which a hype ensues on people wanting to read the books just because there is so much news about it.

Harry Potter had the same thing in popular media, and many many many other books have faced religious censorship. Such a shame.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:29 pm
@Vasska,
Why did some Muslims get in such an uproar about images of Muhammad in Denmark? Because fundamentalists cannot handle anything that threatens their narrowly conceived world view.

Christian fundamentalists just cannot handle the dissemination of information that calls into question their dearly held beliefs. This is true of most fundamentalists.

I didn't read the book, nor did I watch the film.

As for people taking the material as if the material was grounded in fact, there was a book in the 80's that was supposed to be a serious investigation of the notion of Jesus having a child, and that lineage going on to Europe, ect. Of course, the book was a joke.
Aristoddler

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 02:16 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
First off...the book is an amazingly written work that you can read in an evening.
It's fast paced style really pushes you to get to the next chapter, and the different range of conspiracy theories combined with the cryptic chases are very well thought out.
If you haven't read the book, I do strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in theology or history to read it and see for themselves.

Aside from that...
The movie was horrible, terrible, and very poorly executed. So don't waste your time watching it if you've managed to avoid it thus far.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 02:20 pm
@Aristoddler,
Yeah, everyone has said the book was good. Dan Brown gets a great deal of praise. If a copy was handy, I'm sure I would at least start the book. Eh, that giant stack of unfinished books in the other room....

I'm a little disappointed that the movie doesn't receive better praise. I think Tom Hanks is a great actor. Shame. Not every film can be a winner, though.
Vasska

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:36 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Aristoddler wrote:
First off...the book is an amazingly written work that you can read in an evening.
It's fast paced style really pushes you to get to the next chapter, and the different range of conspiracy theories combined with the cryptic chases are very well thought out.
If you haven't read the book, I do strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in theology or history to read it and see for themselves.

Aside from that...
The movie was horrible, terrible, and very poorly executed. So don't waste your time watching it if you've managed to avoid it thus far.

Bad thing is I've already seen the movie, so the book has been ruined for me. Had it with so many books. I'm not buying books from movies I've already seen, it takes all the magic away.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yeah, everyone has said the book was good. Dan Brown gets a great deal of praise. If a copy was handy, I'm sure I would at least start the book. Eh, that giant stack of unfinished books in the other room....

I'm a little disappointed that the movie doesn't receive better praise. I think Tom Hanks is a great actor. Shame. Not every film can be a winner, though.

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one with a stack of (yet) unfinished books.

Anyhow, Tom Hanks is a great actor. Nobody can deny they did not like The Green Mile or Forrest Gump. Even The Terminal was enjoyable. But he really had been put in the wrong character here. Nicolas Cage sadly does it consistently.
urangutan

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:04 am
@Vasska,
I for one cannot believe that anyone would believe that Jesus and said family, would pack their things and move too, of all places in the world, France. And remain there for two thousand years. I personally couldn't last two days without taking to everything French with a blunt stick. God forbid, if I was allowed to enter the country with a battery pack and a cordless drill, with the correct sockets, because I would start at the bottom, reguardless of the consequences.
Vasska

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 04:12 pm
@urangutan,
urangutan wrote:
I for one cannot believe that anyone would believe that Jesus and said family, would pack their things and move too, of all places in the world, France. And remain there for two thousand years. I personally couldn't last two days without taking to everything French with a blunt stick. God forbid, if I was allowed to enter the country with a battery pack and a cordless drill, with the correct sockets, because I would start at the bottom, reguardless of the consequences.

It's a novel. When I watch Pokemon I believe in a world full of pokemons. It does not matter how accuratly a movie or novel is. It's about the story being enjoyable and readable. If every story was pure non-fiction the world would be a much sadder place.

I however must admit that I share your feelings about France. I already made some efforts on getting it bombed, but despite some riots nothing came from it. Maybe we should get some uranium from the Russians and make our own a-bomb to destroy France, quite a project would that be!
urangutan

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 05:45 pm
@Vasska,
I have four of his books, of which I have read three. I haven't read The Da Vinci Code, because of the movie but I do intend too. I have read some pre-codeceptual books including Holy Blood Holy Grail, about fifteen years ago and that was facinating at the time and is more likely the main reason I haven't.

"Sang Real,San Greal", bloody French. Always talking like they have a mouth full of marbles. Why, give them a good slapping, I say.
LouSalome

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 02:24 pm
@urangutan,
Goosebumps, which was itself a dreadful repeat.
urangutan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:05 am
@LouSalome,
I am afraid I agree with you LouSalome, Brown cannot seem to imagine an ending, the stories he writes just seem to have to end suddenly, hurriedly, never causiously. Funny really, if I recall, Holy Blood Holy Grail, the ending seemed to drift into obscurity but I cannot be sure anymore. They're making Angels and Demons into a movie or they have already, I don't notice the gossip much. I will watch it for the art work of the brands, just like I watched Prison Break for the tattoo work.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:26 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
The DaVinci Code. ...such a good book...
A decent book. A page-turner and very entertaining, but pretty light and fluffy overall. Read Umberto Eco, esp. Foucault's Pendulum, if you want to read a much more substantial novel on the same subject.

urangutan wrote:
I personally couldn't last two days without taking to everything French with a blunt stick.
Come on, what kind of a thing is that to say? I have to say that it was pretty incredible going to a harvest festival in Rouen, a city that still has blown out windows in its cathedral from the battle of Normandy, and still has the tower where Joan of Arc was tortured and the spot where she was burned alive. Seeing Mozart's Requiem performed in the Eglise de Madelaine in Paris was fairly unforgettable itself.
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:13 pm
@urangutan,
Angels and demons is a way better book!

I hope they do a good job on the movie though.

(same author).
urangutan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:45 am
@Holiday20310401,
No offence Aedes but maybe you haven't been to New Zealand to see the effects that Paid French Nationals had on "The Rainbow Warrior". So lets just agree to end this here so we don't have to air the Laundry. I wasn't overly obtuse, nor was I obscene.
0 Replies