Across The Universe

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 11:47 pm
Hi, I want to share a song that is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard.

[CENTER]Beautiful words sung by a most beautiful girl. Fionna Apple sings the Beatles song "Across the Universe"[/CENTER]

YouTube - Fiona Apple :: Across The Universe

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe...

Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind,
Possessing and caressing me.

Jai guru de va om
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
That call me on and on across the universe,

Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box they
Tumble blindly as they make their way
Across the universe..

Jai guru de va om
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing
Through my open views inviting and inciting me

Limitless undying love which shines around me like a
Million suns, it calls me on and on
Across the universe

Jai guru de va om
Nothing's gonna change my world
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,452 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 12:23 am
@Pythagorean,
Gotta love the Beatles. Apple does a wonderful job with the song.

By the by, "jai guru deva om" means, roughly, 'give praise to the divine teacher'. Guru, of course, is teacher, jai is a sort of celebratory word, to celebrate basically. Deva means god or heavenly one, and in this context, the guru teaches of the gods, of spiritual matters. Om is the end of the chant, similar to the Christian amen.
Pythagorean

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:01 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Thomas, thank you very much for explaining those terms, knowing their meaning enhances the experience.Smile

This song, as sung by John Lennon, is pretty good; but as sung by Fionna Apple is outrageously lush and supreme. There's one part in her performance - where she begins to sing the lines "Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns" - that is one of the greatest vocal performances that I have ever heard in my life. As sung by Ms. Apple, this is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Also, I should point out that the song was originally created for the soundtrack of the movie Pleasantville.
urangutan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 05:02 am
@Pythagorean,
I know I have heard the song recently and it was a great rendition but has it been out for long as I am sure I heard it some time ago as well. I may be mistaking it for anther song of Mis Apples. She has a great voice, that kind of reminds me a little of Ricki Lee Jones. Not so much in pitch but more with the styles, like she is a remake in the new time.
Pythagorean

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:17 pm
@urangutan,
urangutan,

Hi, this song was orginally released by the Beatles in 1969.

This version by Fionna Apple was released in 1998 !! So, yes it has been around a while.

And I agree with you she does have a classic voice, a voice that may stand the test of time. She does have that Ricki Lee Jones' sort of style.
urangutan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 01:50 am
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean, it seems like it doesn't it, with the intake of modern, video art and themes I would say she could pass for Ricki Lee. I am actually older than the song, so I knew of the Beatles but I wasn't sure how long ago I imagined or recalled Fiona singing the song.
Pythagorean

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:19 pm
@urangutan,
urangutan,

What kind of music do you like best? For example, do you like Classic Rock? Or maybe oldies? Or perhaps, Rap music? I'm curious to know.

I think Ricki Lee would fit under the category of classic rock, don't you? And Fionna would be more modern pop rock, I think..
urangutan

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 12:16 am
@Pythagorean,
Well Fiona is modern pop rock but wasn't Rickie modern pop rock when she was singing. I spoke of this earlier in another thread. There is little to know generation gap in music when you talk from the sixties on. What we liked in the sixties is still relevant today or is still being played today. I see a great resemblance to other pop artists today in the works of modern artists. Not just in the sense they do the covers of songs but in the format of style. Isn't Bob Dylan the same as a rap artist, talking his way through his lyrics and alluding to the times at hand.

I can sit through resounding opera partaken of its lust or become livid from exhaustion when reacting to techno but like I did not like of the sixties that bubblegum stuff that the Beatles brought out like She Loves you yeah yeah yeah, to the ridiculous songs by Brittney, of that I am fed up with. Four decades of that is quite enough.

Up front it is Neil Young, Pink Floyd and some Australian bands like Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil and Split Enz which is a New Zealand band and part of the format of Crowded House. Again though I can enjoy just about all music and to top it off I think folk music is the greatest form of any music.
Pythagorean

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 06:07 am
@urangutan,
urangutan wrote:

There is little to know generation gap in music when you talk from the sixties on. What we liked in the sixties is still relevant today or is still being played today. I see a great resemblance to other pop artists today in the works of modern artists. Not just in the sense they do the covers of songs but in the format of style.

I see exactly what you're saying here. There is absolutely a continuity. I would say almost all of the popular music heard today is from the sounds invented in the 60's. I grew up on The Doors, Zeppelin and Hendrix, in the 80's!

Quote:
Again though I can enjoy just about all music and to top it off I think folk music is the greatest form of any music.

I love folk music too! Some of the folk music sounds are some of the most spiritual music that I've ever heard. All though it is played to death there are certain sounds the Mama's and the Papa's made that really tug at me; and I would add Peter, Paul and Mary's "Puff The Magic Dragon" (which is so imaginative). If you know of some good folk music from the old days I would be very greatful if you could post your top picks.

And there is one folk song that stands out for me as perhaps one of the greatest of them all and I'm sure you know it urangutan. "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" by The Four Aces. I wil post it in case anyone wants to listen to true folk sounds. I mean, I think its folk cause it sounds folk-is to me..

YouTube - The Four Aces - Love Is a Many Splendored Thing
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:39 pm
@Pythagorean,
I'm sory but I gues I don't share your taste in music, not saying the lyrics are poor, they are very well done but I just like 'better' music. Try sum 41, U2, greenday, nickelback, (yeah beattles is ok), finger eleven, skillet, three days grace, queen, simple plan, some creed, nirvana, hoobastank, ACDC, etc.
0 Replies